Defrosting A Cake

Decorating By lauralee422 Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 12:52am by lauralee422

lauralee422 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 5

HI ALL! Ok, I'm defrosting a 12" cake. I had it wrapped in saran wrap then alluminum foil. I'm going to begin decorating it tomorrow morning, so I took it out this morning [after watching many posts it seems a 12" needs about 24 hr]. My question is: I now have it sitting it my kitchen still wrapped, per the posts the condesation collects on the saran. When do I unwrap? I do not have the crumb coat done but I do 2 stacked 12 inch cakes with b/c in the middle. Should I wait until tomorrow to crumb coat then put the fondant on? This is the bottom tier of a 3 tier cake for Saturday. Sorry for the long post, but this is my first time freezing and my biggest cake to date! Thanks!

4 replies
deliciously_decadent Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 5

don't unwrap until you are ready to ice as it will dry out - the condensation absorbed into the cake is a key secret as to why frozen cakes are so much more moist than there just baked fiends!
also totally found this out by accident the other d0ay: friends hubby's birthday and last minute my friend decided she now wanted a cake luckily i had a spare in the freezer as i had stupidly baked one the wrong size i had 3 hours to finish it so i had no choice but to microwave it to defrost it, did this with the plastic wrap still on then went on to decorate as normal (very quickly though!!) and was well very concerned about the fact it was mcrowaved andwhen they cut into it i was feeling slightly ill - but low and behold the most moist awesome cake ever!!!! how bizare is that!!!!

lauralee422 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much for the great advice I will leave the saran on!

amyfj1 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:17am
post #4 of 5

I always freeze all my cakes in 2 layers of saran and 2 layers of aluminum foil. I take the cakes out of the freezer and leave it on the table all day while I'm at work, then ice it that afternoon, and deliver it the next day. I would be a little worried about defrosting a cake in the microwave. I wold be afraid that it would dry it out too much. Just leave it on the counter while you go to work then decorate it.

lauralee422 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:52am
post #5 of 5

Luckily I'm not in too much of a rush where I need to microwave... I would be nervous although it sounds like it worked out fine. I've already taken out the 12" and tonight I'm going to take out the 8 and 6" so that in the morning they'll be ready to frost/fondant. Wish me luck! Of course any other tips would be appreciated if there is anything else I need to know.. looks like I'll be on CC all night and day tomorrow!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%