Wilton Course 2 Question

Decorating By flakygal Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 2:11am by TexasSugar

flakygal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flakygal Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all,

I just signed up to take the Wilton Course 2 class at a local store. I took Course 1 a few months ago. So, I see that the kit comes with two oval pans for the finale cake. Here's my question: Do I really have to get these? I don't have a great desire to bake oval cakes and my cabinets are full (and I mean FULL) of square, round and rectangular pans of every possible size. Also, I already have many of the tips included in this kit. Can I just buy the tips I need plus the flower formers and plan on a round cake for the final class? Or does the oval shape serve some purpose?

Any advice would be great! Thanks so much.

Flakygal

9 replies
Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 10

i think it is up to the student. You can be creative and do the basketweave in any shape you desire. I took course two and used the oval pans; however, my instructor did not mind if we went against the book and used whatever shape we wanted.

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 10

The kit also comes with a small packet of color flow. You can if you want just buy a can of it. Make sure though that you have all the tips. Also some of the flowers and excersises repeat tips through the lessons. Wilton intentionally includes some of those extra tips you will need. So that you're not missing any thing by running back and forth to the sink to wash tips for the next flower..

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 10

Hi! I jus finished course 1 and also signed up for course 2. I already bought my kit (I had a 40% off coupon for all Wilton products at Hobby Lobby) but our instructor told our class that it wasn't a big deal. There was another lady in the class like you who had all the tips and everything else (she had bought one of those nice HUGE kits that has so much stuff!). The instructor said she could just use round or whatever cake pans she wanted for the final cake. Hope this helps!

flakygal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flakygal Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 10

You guys rock! Thanks so much for the quick responses.

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 10

As an instructor, I usually let the students do whatever works best for them, whether that be to buy the kit, or use what tools they have. Out of courtesy for your instructor, though, I would ask her/him before making the assumption that it is okay. Having everyone on the same page makes things easier in class.

I would also like to add that the Course 2 book includes a basketweave template for marking the top of your oval cake. If you use a round pan (or any other) you will need to mark your cake or know your measurements for it before class begins.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 10

As an instructor, I usually let the students do whatever works best for them, whether that be to buy the kit, or use what tools they have. Out of courtesy for your instructor, though, I would ask her/him before making the assumption that it is okay. Having everyone on the same page makes things easier in class.

I would also like to add that the Course 2 book includes a basketweave template for marking the top of your oval cake. If you use a round pan (or any other) you will need to mark your cake or know your measurements for it before class begins.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 10

when I was a instructor not every one used it. You have to buy one or two tips. I can't remember which ones. You could use royal icing instead of the color flow you could use royal icing. Have fun with it though.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:16pm
post #9 of 10

I vote you get the C2 kit.

Extra tips are always vaulable! hehe

Also those pans make great footballs and easter eggs during the right seasons. icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:11am
post #10 of 10

I've had a few students that have done other shapes than rounds. I really don't have a problem with it. I do think the oval pans are cute and I like the cake it makes. It make a cute family size cake that only takes a cake mix.

By the time you spend 99cents on several tips, the flower formers and the color flow mix, you could have probably spent the same amount on the kit using a coupon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%