Bettercreme Fun!

Baking By Melvira Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 1:47am by kakebrown

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:14pm
post #931 of 1317

Oh my gosh!!! I'm so sorry about the mess, but you sure do show a great attitude about it! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif It's only a mess, we clean those up all the time, right? hehehe. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Technically, I don't think there is a 'plain' flavor. I'm pretty sure it's all called vanilla. Just so you know you're not missing something! thumbs_up.gif Thanks for joining us here. We're glad to have you!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:10am
post #932 of 1317

So I have an odd question regarding Bettercreme. I bought 2 cartons of it last week and put it in the freezer. I have been out of town for the week. Tonight I touched the cartons and they're not solid. When you freeze bettercream does it freeze solid like ice cream or does it say psuedo liquidy. Honestly my freezer seems to be working fine. Nothing else is soft...just thought I'd askicon_smile.gif Can't wait to use it.

Melvira Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:55am
post #933 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

So I have an odd question regarding Bettercreme. I bought 2 cartons of it last week and put it in the freezer. I have been out of town for the week. Tonight I touched the cartons and they're not solid. When you freeze bettercream does it freeze solid like ice cream or does it say psuedo liquidy. Honestly my freezer seems to be working fine. Nothing else is soft...just thought I'd askicon_smile.gif Can't wait to use it.

Not odd at all. That is aboslutely how it will freeze. Almost slushy. It never gets completely solid. And the good news is that it will liquify really quickly when you take it out of the freezer. You can let it sit out like an hour, or even less, or you can put it in a bowl of hot water for like ten minutes or something short like that. Love that stuff.

If you want something amazing and have a good leveler like Agbay do this... really thin layers of lime cake, lime curd, then Bettercreme with Lorann lime oil or keylime flavoring. Cake, curd, Bettercreme... repeat about 5 times, then ice with the Bettercreme. It is almost painful how good it is. My mom is addicted! I have to admit, I am as well. SOOO good. But people have asked in the past if Bettercreme is any good for cakes. Try this, and you'll know that is 110% perfect!

sillywabbitz Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:57am
post #934 of 1317

Thanks Melivira, That lime cake sounds awesome. Will have to try it soonicon_smile.gif

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:58am
post #935 of 1317

Melvira, I want to thank you for this wonderful thread! And that you keep up with it for us, I love to follow it. I have tried PP and really like it, I added chocolate pudding and malt! Yum!!
I had to open my big container of liquid and plan to use within 2 weeks, I'm hoping it stays good till then.
I'm going to try this next... This is a good recipe period, and want to try as a cake filling. HAs anyone tried this yet?

Easy HERSHEY Bar Pie

Ingredients:
1 (6.0 oz.) HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate Bar, broken into pieces
1 tub (8 oz.) frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
1 packaged crumb crust (6 oz.)

Directions:
1. Place candy bar pieces in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 minute or until chocolate is smooth when stirred. Cool slightly.

2. Fold whipped topping into melted chocolate; spoon into crust. Cover; refrigerate 6 hours or until firm. Garnish as desired. Cover; refrigerate leftover pie. 6 to 8 servings.
3 years ago
Thanks

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:00am
post #936 of 1317

Oh, of course subing PP for whipped topping! icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:27pm
post #937 of 1317

I've not made the Hershey's pie, but I've done whipped icing with melted chocolate like that and it is phenomenal! It makes an excellent filling! It's like a really light mousse. YUM! Is anyone else getting hungry?? I hope it's not just me. icon_lol.gif And I'm glad to be sticking in here for the long haul too, people are always coming up with new ideas and questions. It's just plain old fun! thumbs_up.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:33am
post #938 of 1317

Ok I finally got to use my Bettercreme and all I can say is WOW. So I made what I call my Melvira cake because a) it's using Bettercreme and b) I adapted your Snickers cupcake and did it as a cake. Layer of cake, layer of nougat, layer of cake, layer of carmel and peanuts, layer of cake , layer of nougat...I need extra height so I added another layer of caramel/nuts and cake.

For the nougat I used 1 cup Bettercreme, 1/2 box of vanilla pudding and 3 tablespoons of malted milk powder. I saw on a food show that the original candy bar (maybe milky way) was supposed to be a candy bar version of a malted milk shake and I didn't have any dulce de lecheicon_smile.gif I did disolve the pudding and malt powder in a little water to make sure it wasn't grainy. I know you mentioned milk but I couldn't remember if that affected the shelf stable at all and I needed this one to sit outicon_smile.gif

I couldn't believe how easy the bettercreme was to work with and how nice and thick it was with the pudding. Not too thick but thick enough to hold up which was awesome.

My only concern with my cake is I melted caramels and I'm not sure I thinned them enough. I think they may have a hard time cutting iticon_smile.gif It's a freebie though ...so they can't complain.

I can't wait to use the rest of my bettercreme. This stuff is fantasticicon_smile.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 11:19am
post #939 of 1317

When I make my nougat filling I use the Hershey's P.B. syrup in Bettercreme. Then I layer it right on top of the caramel/peanuts filling. Delicious!

Melvira Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:12pm
post #940 of 1317

I don't what I like better, the description of that cake, or the fact you named it after ME!! icon_redface.gif I feel so honored!! thumbs_up.gif But I also want a big 'ol piece of it, it sounds YUMMERIFIC!! Bettercreme is so much fun because there are so few limits.

jlkallred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlkallred Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:14pm
post #941 of 1317

Hi, I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but I didn't see any question like this. Our Sam's Club sells Bettercreme, but it comes already whipped and in 5 gallon containers. I don't do alot of cakes, so this is going to last a long long time. Can I freeze it if it's already whipped? Does anyone know of a website that sells the liquid form? I haven't been able to come across one. Thanks so much for helping a novice!!

BORIKS03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BORIKS03 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:39pm
post #942 of 1317

Thanks. I have to try this.

Melvira Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:49pm
post #943 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkallred

Hi, I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but I didn't see any question like this. Our Sam's Club sells Bettercreme, but it comes already whipped and in 5 gallon containers. I don't do alot of cakes, so this is going to last a long long time. Can I freeze it if it's already whipped? Does anyone know of a website that sells the liquid form? I haven't been able to come across one. Thanks so much for helping a novice!!

Yes, you can get the giant prewhipped buckets at Sams and put them in the freezer (break it into smaller containers and put in freezer for ease of use and ease of fit!) it's good for up to a year or something like that. It will not freeze completely hard, it will be somewhat 'soft serve' I guess you could call it. You cannot order the liquid from a website that I know of, but you can contact Rich's to find out where it's available in your area. www.richs.com Best of luck to you!

MaryAllison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAllison Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:11pm
post #944 of 1317

Thank you so much for sharing! You're the best! thumbs_up.gif

jlkallred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlkallred Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:27pm
post #945 of 1317

Thanks, Melvira! I agree w/ MaryAllison~you're the best!!

Melvira Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:01am
post #946 of 1317

Well thanks you guys! That's really sweet of you to say! icon_lol.gif

Kbergmanjohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kbergmanjohnson Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 8:16pm
post #947 of 1317

Can you freeze Rich's Bettercream? I use the liquid form and I have whipped some up and have some extra? I want to use the extra a week or so later-will it be okay in the freezer?
Thanks

Melvira Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 10:08pm
post #948 of 1317

Absolutely. Should be just fine! thumbs_up.gif

Bonnie49659 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie49659 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 8:23pm
post #949 of 1317

It's been forever since I have been on here. Sounds like a great idea on the bettercreme

horskkj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
horskkj Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:56pm
post #950 of 1317

I'm not sure what some of us are getting at Sams is the same product that Melvira is talking about. It probably works the same way but wondering if the taste is as good.

My Label reads: Spred n Fill But R Creme icing
Made for Sams' Club in Bentonville, AR

No mention of the Richs Brand name anywhere and label doesn't resemble anything in their product guide. When I bought it, they told me they had the whipped icing version or the buttercreme. The whipped had to be refrigerated so I went with the other. It definitely has a chemical taste and needs enhanced. I like the idea of adding all the pudding mixes and other flavorings in.

Anyone try putting this specific product in the KA and mixing in these items? Sorry if this was already covered as I may have missed it.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:19pm
post #951 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by horskkj

I'm not sure what some of us are getting at Sams is the same product that Melvira is talking about. It probably works the same way but wondering if the taste is as good.

My Label reads: Spred n Fill But R Creme icing
Made for Sams' Club in Bentonville, AR

No mention of the Richs Brand name anywhere and label doesn't resemble anything in their product guide. When I bought it, they told me they had the whipped icing version or the buttercreme. The whipped had to be refrigerated so I went with the other. It definitely has a chemical taste and needs enhanced. I like the idea of adding all the pudding mixes and other flavorings in.

Anyone try putting this specific product in the KA and mixing in these items? Sorry if this was already covered as I may have missed it.

Sam's Club carries two kinds of icing - a buttercream and a whipped icing. The whipped icing is called Bettercreme and has the Rich's brand on the label. It comes in 15 lbs buckets and cost me $19.23 yestreday in Hickory, NC. What you got is the Sam's Club buttercream. If you go in and ask them about it in the bakery they will let you sample both products so that you can make sure you are getting the right icing.

Hope that helps!
Pam

Melvira Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:32pm
post #952 of 1317

Exactly what Pam said! thumbs_up.gif

That's why I stress to people how important it is to get the spelling right... not just because I'm a language Nazi, honest!! icon_lol.gif Ok, not ONLY because of that.

But-r-creme is like buttercream, I am pretty sure it's shortening based, thicker, heavier. It's made by Dawn Foods. http://www.dawnfoods.com/Public/Dynamic/Products/ProductsCategory2.asp?cat0=17&cat1=46&PTid=2

Bettercreme (one word) is the lighter whipped icing, the one we have been speaking of in this thread. It's made by Rich's. And yes, it must remain frozen until you are ready to use it. It only lasts a few days in the fridge.
(www.richs.com)

Dawn Foods also offers a VERSION SIMILAR to Bettercreme called VelvetTop. http://www.dawnfoods.com/Public/Dynamic/Products/ProductsCategory1.asp?pkid=21&PTid=2

Hope this info helps! thumbs_up.gif

horskkj Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 8:30pm
post #953 of 1317

And see, I really thought I had done my research! Almost to the bottom of this huge bucket so at least I was able to save some time and money with what I got.

The lady in the bakery at my Sams wasn't all that helpful. She would not let me taste it and seemed irritated that I was even asking to purchase it. Since ptanyer lives in Hickory I am encouraged that my store carries the right product.

Will return tomorrow and be more aggressive and certain that I am getting the correct product!

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 9:22pm
post #954 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by horskkj

The lady in the bakery at my Sams wasn't all that helpful. She would not let me taste it and seemed irritated that I was even asking to purchase it...Will return tomorrow and be more aggressive and certain that I am getting the correct product!

If you encounter that same clerk again, then ask to speak to her supervisor and if all else fails, go to the store manager! Sam's Club employees are supposed to help and assist customers in their purchases. If their bakeries don't want to sell the icings to the public, then they should post a sign stating so. I know that Food Lion grocery stores use the Bettercreme whipped icing on their cakes, in addition to a buttercream, and they do not sell the icings to the public. But Sam's Club was created for business owners and I think if you speak to someone higher up the chain, you might get better assistance.

Good luck and don't forget to let us know what happens thumbs_up.gif

Pam

horskkj Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:28pm
post #955 of 1317

Went back to Sams and got the RIGHT product. They had some sitting out on the counter in Strawberry flavor so I told them I wanted that product in Vanilla. She again questioned me if I wanted the frozen product or regular buttercream. Told her I got the wrong one last time so was sure this was what I wanted.

Whew! I still think I must have my threads mixed up. I know I read somewhere on CC about folks buying the other product because the amount and price was spot on. I remember KHalstead saying she uses 3 per week.

Anyway, thanks for the re-direction!!!
Now I need to re-read all the great ideas/suggestions (does this need refrigerated, yummy flavors,) on this thread so that I can get the cake and cupcakes done that are waiting to be done.

msmerial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmerial Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:10am
post #956 of 1317

Ok...I am a newbie and this thread is my new addiction! I have a couple of questions and forgive me if they have been asked. When using the prewhipped version how do you incorporate flavor without compromising consistency? Do you whip in flavors, syrups, etc. or fold them in. Also, I am looking for a way to turn bettercream into a delicious, chocolate spreadable topping as opposed to a filling and I was thinking of using hot fudge ice cream topping. How does that sound and should it be warmed first or will that screw it all up? TIA...you guys are THE best!

Mere

southernswthrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernswthrt Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:52am
post #957 of 1317

I'm confused...I thought Bettercreme was stable and didn't require refrigeration, etc??? I would think I want the liquid not the whipped????
[/quote]Bettercreme (one word) is the lighter whipped icing, the one we have been speaking of in this thread. It's made by Rich's. And yes, it must remain frozen until you are ready to use it. It only lasts a few days in the fridge.

Quote:
Quote:

Anybody know where I can get this in Louisiana??? I would love to make mousse fillings that don't require refrigeration but I can't find it anywhere...

TIA

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:23am
post #958 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbergmanjohnson

Can you freeze Rich's Bettercream? I use the liquid form and I have whipped some up and have some extra? I want to use the extra a week or so later-will it be okay in the freezer?
Thanks

I pour out what I need and refreeze the container all the time. Sometimes up to 4 times for a single carton.

Rosey1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosey1120 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:20pm
post #959 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSG177

Does anyone know where on Long Island, NY to purchase either frosting?

Thanks!

Sandy

Not sure if you're still watching this post but I just finished reading through ALL of it. Great info (thanks to all of you willing to share your expertise!). Was hoping to find an answer, as well. This is all I can offer at the moment.

Have not found the Bettercreme yet but my Wilton Instructor recommended the Rich's Whipped Topping. I get it at the DiCarlos Food Service cash and carry on North Ocean Avenue in Holtsville. It works great! I've mixed the instant pudding (straight, without milk), Polaner All Fruit, melted chocolate, chocolate syrup and have had great results with no problems. It comes in a frozen quart container and the more you whip it the thicker it gets. Makes a great mousse!

Where on Long Island are you? I'm in Sayville.

huskerfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huskerfan Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:00pm
post #960 of 1317

It sure makes it easy for me to get bettercreme when all I have to do is order through my husband. Love the stuff! Thanks Melvira for all the great ideas........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%