Bettercreme Fun!

Baking By Melvira Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 1:47am by kakebrown

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:39pm
post #721 of 1317

What do y'all add to FP to get it to taste right, and can you SWEAR to me that it doesn't have that weird "fake whipped topping" taste like PP?? Meaning: do you just alter it the way Melvira suggests altering Bettercreme, or do you just add vanilla to flavor??

I have read a few threads about how great Whip N Ice is (possibly even mentioned in this thread, I can't remember!) but it is hard to find, they don't sell it at retail. I think someone said Dairy Queen or Coldstone--one of the ice cream places--uses it on their cakes.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 6:26am
post #722 of 1317

PP is GROSS! It's greasy and artificial tasting. I add things just like Melvira suggests to FP and get great fillings. It's not the tastiest stuff on its own, but it's fabulous doctored up. So yes, I swear icon_smile.gif

ceshell Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 8:23am
post #723 of 1317

Yay! Thanks for that input. The lady at the cake store also said she did not like PP so it is helpful to hear opinions from others who notice that artificial taste in PP, since not everyone detects it. The cake store (where the Bettercreme is) is a 20 mile round trip but S&F is just down the street, so I'll give FP a try! Dang, now i am going to have to go back and reread 48 pages of Bettercreme suggestions icon_lol.gif

I must admit I had the chocolate Bettercreme and it seemed ok, didn't have that artificial sting that PP had; I've used it several times without cringing...too much icon_biggrin.gif.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 7:55pm
post #724 of 1317

Alright gals got another question about bettercream.

It's humid here today and I want to frost a cake for tomorrow due that's in bettercream. Will it sweat due to the high humidity or should it be ok? I have the air conditioning on but that doesn't help too much with the high humidity issue. Also, this cake as edible images that need to go on it, should I wait till tomorrow to put them on or will it be ok to put them on tonight?

Thanks in advance!

arbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arbakes Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:59pm
post #725 of 1317

okay...I can only find the pre-whipped bettercreme and I must say it was pretty tasty so I am excited, however, is it still possible to add those yummy fillings without changing the texture?

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:02am
post #726 of 1317

arbakes, the texture will change. you can't really stop that. it does stay fairly whippy though. It just depends on how much you add of what. it's always stayed stable for me, and I add quite a bit.

mk - I have no idea how it fares in humidity. I'm in AZ. lol.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:20am
post #727 of 1317

Alright, the bettercream cake went well. It just looked so plain to me, maybe because of being a sheet cake with edible images.
Thanks so much for this thread because it really did help.

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:16am
post #728 of 1317

OK, so I have a new filling flavor to add to my list -- hazelnut. Just mixed in some nutella to the whipped Frostin Pride and everyone loved it. WVSC with the "hazelnut mousse", tiramasu, and chocolate with peanut butter were the flavors and the hazelnut got rave reviews. I had never tried this filling before, but was looking for something a little more exotic yet easy. Will definitely add to my recipe book!

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:52am
post #729 of 1317

ok I've read 21 pages of this post and I have learned a lot. I still have a question about the bettercream though. (Without reading the rest of the pages) Can someone tell me, when I add cream cheese and the pudding mix would it still be able to be left out for a few days or will it need to be refridgerated now because of the cream cheese??? I've been looking for the answer but it is almost 2:00a.m. and I really need to go to bed. Also would that combination be ok outside for several hours? I really need a great filling for a banana cake where the party will be outside! Thanks sooo much everyone for your help!!!

ceshell Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 7:21am
post #730 of 1317

I'm fairly sure that your cream cheese addition would result in the need for refrigeration. The only cream cheese icing recipes I have seen that don't require refrigeration have shortening and a TON of powdered sugar to "preserve" the CC. As much as that flavor combination sounds awesome, I wouldn't do it. If you want a CC-banana filling, I'd recommend using Earlene's shelf-stable cream cheese icing recipe and some bananas. Although it would still need to be refrigerated for storing (due to the bananas) it would be fine sitting out at the party for a few hours.

Hope you had a good night's sleep icon_wink.gif

cocobean Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 4:44pm
post #731 of 1317

Thanks ceshell, I'll look that up! (Slept great to)!

I have more questions-sorry if they have been discussed. icon_confused.gif

1. Has, how to make Sams Club chocolate moose cake filling, been discussed? Is there a recipe for that here?

2.Has someone tried the bettercream filling with layered cut fresh strawberries or other fresh fruit? Does that work ok?

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:07pm
post #732 of 1317

I use a can of raspberry pie filling in whipped Bettercreme for my white chocolate cake. Sometimes I add a pack of white chocolate pudding mix but I really prefer it without depending on how sweet you want it. I really kind of like the less sweeter fillings with a sweeter cake.

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:30pm
post #733 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

Thanks ceshell, I'll look that up! (Slept great to)!

I have more questions-sorry if they have been discussed. icon_confused.gif

1. Has, how to make Sams Club chocolate moose cake filling, been discussed? Is there a recipe for that here?

2.Has someone tried the bettercream filling with layered cut fresh strawberries or other fresh fruit? Does that work ok?

Can't comment about Sams Club...we don't have one and never been to one, but I use Frostin' Pride straight with no additions with fresh sliced strawberries. One of my most requested flavors. I just put a layer of cream then the strawberries, then another layer of cream. I think it kind of "seals in the juice" from any potential strawberry seepage and doesn't make the cake soggy. Hope that helps!

davespeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
davespeg Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:25am
post #734 of 1317

Thanks Mel, I live semi close (depending on the freeway traffic) to one of the distributors and a Sam's Club, so I'll check with them. This thread was just so full of info. Thank you for your time.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:17pm
post #735 of 1317

Melvira, I just saw that you are from Davenport. My brother in law owns Cordova dragway park and we are up ther several times a year to go to the races. We are coming in august for The World Series of Drag Racing. Maybe some day we can meet. Any good cake places that I MUST SEE while I am there?

Donnagardner Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:41pm
post #736 of 1317

Ok, I have been reading and see that you guys dont whip the stuff from Sams. I bought some and took it from the bucket and put it in the fridge to thaw overnight and then put it in my KA and whipped it with flavorings and then put it on the cake and had no problems. Why to not whip it? I have not tried the liquid yet and see that you like it better so next time I will try the liquid.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:47am
post #737 of 1317

Usually if you whip the pre-whipped it gets EXTREMELY thick & can get lumpy. I'm curious, did you use the paddle or whisk attachment?

cocobean Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:31am
post #738 of 1317

I have been using Pastry Pride and it tastes really good. I have been trying a lot of the addtions and they are all really good. Not sure why others are not liking it. I haven't been able to try any of the other brands to compare but I really like this one. The only problem is I think that I may have over mixed it (the liquid). It didn't really look like it or taste like it until I added other things to it, then it did seem kind of lumpy but tasted good. I'll have to try mixing less. I've called Sams Club and can get the Richs Bettercream in a 5 gal per whipped bucket for 22.00. I'd like to try that.

So far I've tried adding...
lemon curd
homemade strawberry jam
strawberry filling (sleeved)
cream cheese filling (sleeved) with chocolate syrup
plain chocolate syrup (didn't get thick enough)

Donnagardner Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 8:13pm
post #739 of 1317

I used the paddle to whip mine and I added vanilla and almond flavors. This was befor I found this thread or I would have added different things. It was still pretty cold but was not lumpy. It did stay kind of shiney after it was on the cake but was ok. It was for a neighbor girls quick bday cake and it was free. I have some more thawing out now so I can make different kinds and I will let you know the results.

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:09am
post #740 of 1317

I've followed this thread since the begining and have gone over it again looking to see how long you can leave the Bettercream out when its used as a filling or icing.

When you add cream cheese to it or the pudding and milk how long can you leave it out for?

I know I saw the answers on here once or twice before-but I can't seem to locate them now.

Thanks for helping, I'm startin to see double!

ceshell Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:45am
post #741 of 1317

HOLY $^%& was that good!!!!

OK I have been reading this Bettercreme thread since inception but never could get my hands on the stuff (plain, I mean; Smart & Final carries chocolate only). I finally picked up some "Rich's Whipped Topping Base" today as that's the only thing my local cake shop carries. I figured, it must be close to Bettercreme.

I used Melvira's option #2 with the pudding, since I wanted to make it into a filling - and then in half of the batch I put peppermint extract, the other half I folded in peanut butter.

I just ate a slice of chocolate cake with the P.B./Rich's filling and icon_eek.gif!! YUM!! It was just a tiny 6" single layer test cake (and half of the cake at that, as the other half has the peppermint filling) but it is all I can do to restrain myself from going back into the kitchen and polishing off the rest. Mind you, I think I would have loved this just as much (or more) if it were P.B. IMBC but I wanted to experiment with nonperishable fillings. Plus I wanted an alternative to IMBC for those who prefer a more pudding-y filling rather than the buttery richness of a MBC, especially since when I usually ice my cakes in MBC anyway.

YUM YUM YUM! And THANK GOODNESS - none of that filmy and weird aftertaste that I get from Pastry Pride. You were all right! Thank you for not lying to me! thumbs_up.gif I could tell even before I added any flavorings and I can now understand why this stuff even tastes good just plain or with a little vanilla and sugar.

Now I have to give my palate a rest for a few hours (oh yes, that rich peanut butter taste is still with me and I am lovin' it) before tasting the side with all of the mint filling. I just figured...chocolate and mint, you can't really go wrong, can you?!

The only hitch is: I have emailed the Rich's Co. to ask them about the difference between Bettercreme and the Whipped Topping (which is a frozen liquid and you need to add flavorings to it, just like Bettercreme)...the lady at the cake shop said it could stay out for 10 hours so there must be SOMETHING about it that's different. I wonder what it is? On their website they definitely have that as a separate product from Bettercreme.

So thanks again and oh...now that I've found it, I am scared of all of the flavoring possibilities...does this mean I have to go reread all 50 pages?! icon_biggrin.gif

ceshell Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:01am
post #742 of 1317

OK for those of you that didn't ask icon_wink.gif, here is the difference between the stuff I purchased-- "Rich's Whipped Topping"-- and Bettercreme; this email was sent to me by the company. I am bummed to learn the shelf life of the whipped topping is so much less than Bettercreme but at least 4 hours is usually enough for a cake to be displayed and eaten...and I wouldn't be surprised if the added pudding stabilizes it for longer (but who knows, right?). If anyone in So. Cal. ever finds plain Bettercreme (not Chocolate as found at Smart & Final) please let me know!

Quote:
Quote:

Richs Whip Topping ready to whip contains no milk or milk fat. It is smooth and creamy: no aftertaste, light no heavy vanilla flavor. Readily accepts other ingredients. Wont Breakdown or curdle. Resists wilting and weeping

Frozen 12 mths
Thawed/unopened: 2 weeks refrigerated
Whipped/refrigerated: 3 days
Whipped/room temp: 4 hours
Whipped/refrozen: 4 weeks

Bettercreme Liquid
Ready to Whip: light, delicious taste. Lower in sugar and fat than other icings. No aftertaste. Accepts flavorings, color, fruit, or nuts. Will not pick up odors in the cooler or freezer. Spreads easily, Will not weep, crack, or harden.

Frozen 12 mths
Thawed/unopened: 3 months
Whipped/Refrigerated: 1week
Whipped/On cake: 5 days (not refrigerated)

Rich Products does not sell to the Public they sell to a Broker who in turn sells to a Distributor. Because of this we are not certain which stores sell our product. However, if you go on line and go to one of our Distributors www.sysco.com or www.USFoodService.com and they may have a cash and carry that you can purchase our product from.

Hope this info is helpful for someone!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:51pm
post #743 of 1317

Hey ceshell... I have been using the Whip topping for quite a while now, and really like it. It is unsweetened, so more like working with real whipping cream I think, but much more stable. For the Bettercream, there is a shop in Glendora, A & J Cake and Candy, that sells it. The owner is Linda Hermann (a really nice lady I might add icon_smile.gif ). I don't know how far Glendora is from you, but it isn't all that far from LA... hth

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm
post #744 of 1317

In my area the only place to get it is Gordons food service ..If you have a restaurant supply near by you might want to try that !

ceshell Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:33pm
post #745 of 1317

Thanks for the suggestions! thumbs_up.gif

chickeymonkey25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chickeymonkey25 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 3:17am
post #746 of 1317

ive been reading these posts and decided to try the bettercreme for my son's birthday cake. I was gonna do a chocolate cake with the peanut butter flavor filling. One problem though i need the icicng to be bright red, yellow and blue. i know i can't use the bettercreme for this. any suggestions on what icing i could use that would compliment these flavors well. thanks so much

ceshell Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 4:28am
post #747 of 1317

If you want a lighter tasting icing that is still a powdered sugar buttercream (so you can color it), I recommend the "Whipped Cream Buttercream" here in the recipe section. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2019-0-Whipped-Cream-Buttercream-Frosting.html

chickeymonkey25 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:59pm
post #748 of 1317

thanks, ill give it a try. i guess im just worried about mixing too many different flavors

ceshell Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:14pm
post #749 of 1317

The wcbc is just a plain ol' vanilla flavor - always a good option when you don't want to interfere with the main flavors of the cake/filling. Or else you could buy a bottle of Lorann peanut butter flavorings so that your icing will complement the cake. Personally, for bright colors I would just use IMBC for the icing and then fondant the whole dang thing!

chickeymonkey25 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 8:13pm
post #750 of 1317

thanks so much for the tips. i have a few weeks so i might give the peanut butter flavoring a try. I didnt even know it existed icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%