Bettercreme Fun!

Baking By Melvira Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 1:47am by kakebrown

hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:12pm
post #61 of 1317

I want some bettercream!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Stupid podunk town icon_sad.gif

hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:18pm
post #62 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefrinny

Quote:
Quote:

Has anyone ever heard of or used Velvet Top or Velvety Top? I think that's the name of it....Dawn is the manufacturer. Anyway, can't get Bettercreme but I could get this and they said it's the same just different company. I got some to try and was wondering if there are any opinions out there?? Laughing

I've used Dawn Velvet Top-same stuff as the Rich's bettercreme! Love it!

Where can I find this?

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:20pm
post #63 of 1317

hallfamily727.. Im so sorry your having a hard time finding it . I know how I feel when I cant find the item I want ! GRRRRRR!!!%$#@#%%%

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:22pm
post #64 of 1317
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Has anyone ever heard of or used Velvet Top or Velvety Top? I think that's the name of it....Dawn is the manufacturer. Anyway, can't get Bettercreme but I could get this and they said it's the same just different company. I got some to try and was wondering if there are any opinions out there?? Laughing

Yeah! Thanks for the answer! I'm so excited to try it this weekend. Can you use this for cake filling too or just cuppies? If you do the filling in cake and still want to decorate pretty much, do you just use a BC???

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:23pm
post #65 of 1317

Now see what you've started Mel. icon_biggrin.gif I wish I could get Bettercream but maybe if all these people make it super popular they will start carrying it everywhere. icon_lol.gif

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:24pm
post #66 of 1317

It's what my local supermarket bakery uses. If you ask for it at the bakery some bakery managers will sell it to you.

Michelle104 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:32pm
post #67 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallfamily727

Quote:

Where can I find this?

I got mine at our cake supply place. I talked to the lady there about it and she named 3 kinds and said they were all comparable. Rich's Bettercreme, Dawn Velvet Top, and I think the third one was called Pilgrim's Pride??? I'll do some digging and see if that's the right name. Maybe someone could get some for you and overnight it? Mel's in Iowa too right?

Michelle104 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:38pm
post #68 of 1317

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Frostin Pride! Pilgrim's Pride is sausage I think.... icon_lol.gif DUH!!!

Bzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bzer Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:50pm
post #69 of 1317

? Can you add Heavy Whipping cream to Bettercreme and if so how much?
thanks

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:57pm
post #70 of 1317

Pilgrim's Pride is chicken icon_lol.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:13pm
post #71 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by frstech

Hahahahahaha!!! Sorry, but that just brings to mind all kinds of visuals!! Some guy looking at you all crazy because you are asking him for some Pilgrim's pride to put on a cake!!

Ok, I swear someone asked me a question... oh, Fiddle, sorry. Let me answer you before I forget again!!

I fill with a single hole in the top middle using either a #10, #12, or #22, depending on what I'm doing. If I'm doing a swirl on top with the same stuff then I just fill with the same star tip, why dirty up two tips? I don't know why some people have trouble getting enough filling in there... mine are like 85% filling when I'm done with a single hole. Hehehe. Me likey the fillin'!! I was going to post a pic of it, but alas, I am not able to so here... http://www.sweetcakesonline.net/bettercreme_ideas.htm I put it at the top of that page I sent you to before. That way you can see how much filling my cuppies have.

Bzer, you CAN add heavy whipping cream, but it will make it a little different. It's hard to explain... I did it one time because I overwhipped it a little and didn't want to thaw out a whole second container for just a dab, so I drizzled a little whipping cream in there. It worked just fine. It tasted more cream-ish. (Well, duh?) But it's good, no worries.

Michelle104 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:21pm
post #72 of 1317

Hey Mel! How do you know you're not overfilling? And did you happen to see my ? about the cake filling? icon_lol.gif

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:24pm
post #73 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:

Hahahahahaha!!! Sorry, but that just brings to mind all kinds of visuals!! Some guy looking at you all crazy because you are asking him for some Pilgrim's pride to put on a cake!!

Would you like that fired, grilled, or fricasseed(sp) icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:35pm
post #74 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Hey Mel! How do you know you're not overfilling? And did you happen to see my ? about the cake filling? icon_lol.gif

If the cupcake explodes, it's overfilled. icon_lol.gif I prefer to call those "Treats for mommy". icon_twisted.gif I just go by feel. It's hard to explain I suppose.

And no, I am not recalling your question! Help me out here, I wanna answer you!!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:43pm
post #75 of 1317

Thanks ! Its not that I have any trouble filling I have just always dont it that way( 3 holes on top with a # 6 tip ).
You can tell its filled if the top starts to crack, Thats what I look for anyway !
Mel you use way bigger tips then I do. I will have to try that ! I do like the 3holes though it kind of spreads it around ?

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:46pm
post #76 of 1317

Oh Mel could you send me one of those cuppies with the filling. Man they look good. I am on a diet you know. icon_mad.gif

Tatusky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tatusky Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 8:04pm
post #77 of 1317

Thank you so much for sharing!

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 8:14pm
post #78 of 1317

YAHOOO!! THanks mel!!! Sounds delicious!! Thanks so much for doing this for us!!

Melvira Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 8:29pm
post #79 of 1317
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Would you like that fired, grilled, or fricasseed(sp) icon_lol.gif

Hee hee hee *snort* hee hee!!

Michelle104 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:01pm
post #80 of 1317
Quote:

I'm so excited to try it this weekend. Can you use this for cake filling too or just cuppies? If you do the filling in cake and still want to decorate pretty much, do you just use a BC???

Repost for Mel!!!! icon_lol.gif

I knew it was something "pride"! icon_lol.gif Eeeeeeuuuuuuuwwwww! Can you imagine a big raw chicken on tp of a cake??!!! icon_eek.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Thanks for the visual girls!!! icon_razz.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm
post #81 of 1317

WOW!!! All this information in one place!!! HOw incredible of a person you are, Mel, to share ALL that information!!!!!

Now I just have to find it somewhere!!! icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:19pm
post #82 of 1317
Quote:

I'm so excited to try it this weekend. Can you use this for cake filling too or just cuppies? If you do the filling in cake and still want to decorate pretty much, do you just use a BC???

Ok, I don't know how I missed that one, sorry!

Yes, I love using it for cake! I thought I mentioned that in the original post, but I'm sorry if I didn't! What I like to do is torte the layers and fill with Bettercreme. It makes it so light and fluffy and delish!! Just awesome! And you can decorate with it to an extent. You can do borders, some flowers, etc. I mean, stringwork is pretty much out, but most other stuff is ok! If you have some serious decorating to do, you can still use it as a filling and ice with regular BC. No problem at all!

Michelle104 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:34am
post #83 of 1317

~K~ One more brain picker.... icon_lol.gif If I frost the outside with it will it smooth and can I put fondant accents on it...on a cake I mean? Thanks so much!! You're awesome!! thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:43am
post #84 of 1317

Actually, it's not recommended for use with fondant. I have not done it, so I can't say whether it's feasible or not. If you don't overwhip it, it's fairly easy to get pretty smooth. You can't use my roller method on it, but you can get a nice finish with your palate knife or spatula, whatever you use.

My pleasure to answer the questions... don't hesitate to ask!! thumbs_up.gif

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:50am
post #85 of 1317

So Melvira, You mean I can just add a box of lime jello pudding to my bettercreme and it will come out alright?

Michelle104 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:55am
post #86 of 1317
Quote:

Actually, it's not recommended for use with fondant. I have not done it, so I can't say whether it's feasible or not. If you don't overwhip it, it's fairly easy to get pretty smooth. You can't use my roller method on it, but you can get a nice finish with your palate knife or spatula, whatever you use.

My pleasure to answer the questions... don't hesitate to ask!! thumbs_up.gif

Love you for that and sister I am so addicted to the roller method!!LOOOOVE IT! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:06am
post #87 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by steplite

So Melvira, You mean I can just add a box of lime jello pudding to my bettercreme and it will come out alright?

No because the lime flavor is gelatin. I am pretty sure they don't make lime pudding. But they DO make lemon, so yes, you could add that!! You will want to add a little regular milk though to keep it from getting too heavy and thick! And man-oh-man will you flip for it. It's gooood! It's an instant quick-n-easy mousse!

Melvira Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:09am
post #88 of 1317
Quote:

Love you for that and sister I am so addicted to the roller method!!LOOOOVE IT! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

THANK YOU!!! I just love hearing that people are having success with it!! That makes me feel so good! Man, I screwed up tonight though... I let one of my cakes sit too long before rolling it and it just looked terrible... all covered with hairline cracks! I HATE that. Thank goodness I was using edible images on it!!!

Michelle104 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:19am
post #89 of 1317
Quote:

I let one of my cakes sit too long before rolling it and it just looked terrible... all covered with hairline cracks! I HATE that. Thank goodness I was using edible images on it!!!

I thought that only happened to me!! icon_lol.gif I'm definitely getting better at it though!! I want to know how you do it all/????? I'm dreaming dreaming dreaming of being like you some day!!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:51am
post #90 of 1317

Mel - thanks for sharing all your tips and add'ins. Must try to find at a local store here in Houston.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%