Bettercreme Fun!

Baking By Melvira Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 1:47am by kakebrown

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:36pm
post #301 of 1317

Has anyone asked if this Bettercreme will hold food coloring well? I want to make a cake for a baby shower and I have to make a regular buttercream transfer on top, plus I have to outline the cake with either buttercream or Bettercreme that has been dyed with food coloring gels.

PS-I read through half the pages and read that the Bettercreame is shelf stable, so no need to answer my previous question...unless you want to!

Please help on the above question. It's for my grandchild's baby shower.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:03pm
post #302 of 1317

Ok, I stopped getting notices last night so I've got a few questions to answer...

calicopurr: You are right, you do not need to refrigerate items that have been iced with this. The container says they are shelf stable for 5 days at (moderate) room temp after being applied to a cake product. However, let's be honest, it's not going to last that long! icon_wink.gif As for colors... it will take lighter shades and pastels well, but not dark or bright colors. Something about it makes it that way, I have no idea what.

cosmogurl: if you want some awesome boxes at really good prices plus FREE FAST shipping, go to www.brpboxshop.com I suggest them highly, I use a ton of their products and love them. They are a local Iowa company, which was a thrill when I found that out, so I have actually stopped by there a few times and let me tell you, they are NICE people!! I have always been treated like the most valuable customer they have, even if I just want something small! They are excellent!

cosmogurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cosmogurl Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:21pm
post #303 of 1317

Thanks great site. And free shipping couldn't be better.
Laurie

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 7:42pm
post #304 of 1317

My dear Melvira I have an update for you...over the weekend my daughter made cupcakes...she wanted to put some good frosting on them and guess what I suggested? yupe, our favorite!! icon_smile.gif...
Sooo, the result is: you have another Bettercreme addict on your list icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:04pm
post #305 of 1317

Woop, woop... oh yah... party.gif can I get a AMEN? *crazy dancing ensues*

Ok, sorry. It just feels good when we separate another from the pack and take them down! Hehehehehe. Now she can revel with us in Bettercreme heaven!

Melvira Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 8:07pm
post #306 of 1317

calicopurr, I forgot to mention, if you are in serious need of Bettercreme in dark colors, they do sell a handful of colors in the prewhipped. You can go to the website and see!

calicopurr Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 12:31am
post #307 of 1317

Thank U for your reply Melvira. I don't need dark colors. It would be for a baby shower this coming Sunday. I haven't even opened up my frozen container to experiment with colors or have had my first taste of it.
I'm going to wait and use a buttercream icing on the shower cake. I have to do an edible rice paper transfer with piping gel on top of the onesie cake I'll be making. I want to try the icing out so badly right now, but have to put that on hold bcuz I need to make a pumpkin cake tomorrow and the vanilla cake on Wed......then the icing, dyed icing, cake board....etc.

My family is actually tired of buttercream icing on their cupcakes. They don't eat them as fast as they used to. Maybe this new frosting will bring them back to cake. Right now they can't get enough of my cookies. I made extras! One baby shower done, one to go.
LL

Melvira Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 12:44am
post #308 of 1317

Oh those are just sweet!!! I bet everyone will really like the Bettercreme, and like you said, it might renew their interest! But, if you're doing an edible image, definitely use regular BC. Bettercreme can make the EI bleed. It's happened to me. I was torqued something fierce!! So, what I do now if someone really wants Bettercreme and an edible image is put regular BC just where the image goes.

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:02am
post #309 of 1317

Ok, so after hearing everyone RAVE about bettercreme I want to try it! Where in a normal store would I find it, with the milk, baking isle? Also, I have noticed that it doesnt seem to be available everywhere, does anyone know where I can purchase it in or around Garner, NC? THANK YOU and I cant wait to jump on the bandwagon!

Lisa

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:50am
post #310 of 1317

Also, does Melody25's mock version need to be refrigerated since it has milk in it? Thank you!

Lisa

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:09pm
post #311 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by lroberts74

Ok, so after hearing everyone RAVE about bettercreme I want to try it! Where in a normal store would I find it, with the milk, baking isle? Also, I have noticed that it doesnt seem to be available everywhere, does anyone know where I can purchase it in or around Garner, NC? THANK YOU and I cant wait to jump on the bandwagon!

Lisa

The only "normal" store you'll find it in is Smart&Final, that I know of, besides the bakery department at Sams Club. I'm in CA so that probably isn't any help at all! icon_rolleyes.gif

Melvira Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:54pm
post #312 of 1317

lroberts74, it's hard to say where to get it in your area... hopefully someone here is around there and can advise you on it. Also, you can go to the Rich's website (www.richs.com) and contact them for information on how to get it in your area. The mock icing does not need to be refrigerated to MY knowledge. I believe it is stable just like the Rich's because of the sugar, etc.

calicopurr Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:01pm
post #313 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

The mock icing does not need to be refrigerated to MY knowledge. I believe it is stable just like the Rich's because of the sugar, etc.

I made the mock and mine needed to stay cold to hold it's shape. I piped it onto cupcakes. I made mine with less milk to start with, then
added malted chocolate. They were good Melvira!

I keep reading about how sugar keeps dairy from going bad. Is this hearsay or is this a fact from science? I SO want to believe it's true, icon_biggrin.gif I just don't know where the original source came from. Anyone know? Is this from that guy who has the show on the Food Network....A. Brown?

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 10:16pm
post #314 of 1317

Hello to all, I don't know if sugar is a preservative but one thing I do know is that fondant last forever and I believe it's because of the sugar. If not just think about how long hard candy last...f o r e v e r icon_eek.gif

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:26am
post #315 of 1317

Okay, I have to say, I have been lurking on this thread for the past couple of days. Going through all the posts and really thinking, gee, I have to try this Better creme. I am a strictly SMBC kind of girl. I need to try something else for variation. Well I called my local Sam's and the girl in the Bakery dept told me they would sell me the 15 lb. bucket for 17.66. They didn't have anything smaller, so I figured gee, that's a great price. I read a few posts before that someone got it for 40.00. So I just picked it up, and I opened it right away. My hubby loves it. I, well, I hate to admit this but, I don't like it that much. I know you all say to add flavoring to it, so I definitely will be doing some experiments. If I add NM vanilla to it, should I whip it? Or should I just fold it in? It is the ready made bucket. Thanks for all the suggestions on flavoring, I will be trying them when I get a chance. Just thought I would let you all know about the price I got it at Sam's for. Now to loosen the Better creme up, since it is already made, can I put it in my KA? Or use a whisk? Or just a spatula to mix it? Thanks for all your help!!!!!! I have all this Better creme and now I have to find a lot of uses for it!

Jessica

Melvira Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:41am
post #316 of 1317

Jessica, don't feel bad at all! If I had only tasted the prewhipped, I wouldn't have gotten to this point. You really have to find the liquid, it is completely different. It's SO much better and it's easy to mix flavors into it. If you want to mix stuff into the prewhipped, only fold it in!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:54am
post #317 of 1317

Yes, folding. I used that stuff at work and it's designed to be used straight from the bucket. If you're going to mix in colors or flavors, fold carefully!!!

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:14am
post #318 of 1317

bump

MacsMom Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:19pm
post #319 of 1317

I just whipped up some Bettercreme that had been opened and in my fridge for 3 weeks. It tasted fine and whipped up perfectly.

I always beat in my mixings and I've never had a problem (?). I whipped in crushed Reeses Peanut Butter Cups yesterday. (YUMMY!).

Melvira Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:33pm
post #320 of 1317

Macsmom, we were saying to fold in the extra ingredients if you are using the prewhipped type, not the liquid! And I agree, I think it lasts longer than they say, but legally they probably have to give a shorter time frame, just in case. Worst case scenario, you know?

MacsMom Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:20pm
post #321 of 1317

Oh!

Yes, I was totally surprised when I whipped it up. Last week I even whipped up some chocolate liquid Bettercreme that I had previously heated up (and put back in the fridge) in the microwave to make a ganache with!

I love that stuff!

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 8:05pm
post #322 of 1317

Oh my! I am dying to try now. I am in Baton Rouge and have tried Sam's, Party Time and Sysco. I can't find it! Please help! I would drive to New Orleans for it! icon_lol.gif

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 8:30pm
post #323 of 1317

lilacc01
If your Sams has a bakery dept. then they have the pre-whipped in the big bucket. Ask to speak to the bakery MG. Its around $18. I found the liquid kind at a grocery wholesale company. Of course I had to buy the whole case but I keep it in the freezer so thats ok! thumbs_up.gif

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 8:35pm
post #324 of 1317

Thanks Linliv46!

I would really like to get my hands on the liquid!

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:08pm
post #325 of 1317

Mel
You mentioned that you make a banana coconut cake I think that's what you said. Is that a banana cake or a coconut cake. What flavor do you make the bettercreme. I need a recipe please. Pretty please I wont tell anyone. I promise shhh.gif

Melvira Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:18pm
post #326 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

Mel
You mentioned that you make a banana coconut cake I think that's what you said. Is that a banana cake or a coconut cake. What flavor do you make the bettercreme. I need a recipe please. Pretty please I wont tell anyone. I promise shhh.gif

Actually, they are two separate flavors, but they are tied for first place on my list of current favorites!! Let's say banana for the sake of this conversation, ok? I make a doctored yellow cake in which I add banana pudding & banana extract. Then for the Bettercreme I add a fairly hefty amount of banana extract when I whip it. Then I torte the layers to maximize the amount of filling. It's sinful, but it's actually quite light. It's not like a heavy chocolate dessert! You can eat a slice even after a decent meal! You don't have to skip dinner to appreciate it! Hahaha! For the coconut, I do the same thing, just use coconut flavored pudding and extract. Then, with the coconut I like to put some toasted coconut on it too! Mmmmmm... wow, I did NOT need to think about that right now! icon_rolleyes.gif

TyeRiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TyeRiley Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:56pm
post #327 of 1317

after seeing this thread last week I went to a GFS and got the liquid bettercreme. It's good by itself but then I whipped in pureed strawberries. OH my it was so good I could have eaten the whole bowl. I used it as a filling on a white cake. Then I iced the entire cake with the plain bettercreme and used some left over of the strawberry to do drop string work with rosettes on the side of the cake. I even used the plain bettercreme to make white roses on top of the cake. It was my very first time using it and I love it. A tiny bit more difficult to get smooth like buttercream but everyone loved it! It was for my nieces dedication. So thanks melvira for the info. It's a new family favorite around here now.

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:56pm
post #328 of 1317

They both sound heavenly Mel!

Paizley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paizley Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:05am
post #329 of 1317

I've always heard of Bettercream but never knew what is was. Hopefully I can find it at my Smart & Final. Thanks!

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:08am
post #330 of 1317

That's it! I can't put it off anymore...my new mission is to go to Sam's and find the stuff icon_razz.gif
Melvira: both the coconut and the banana cakes sound waaay to good, and the strawberry puree that TyeRiley talked about sent me over the edge. I want some now!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%