Bettercreme Fun!

Baking By Melvira Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 1:47am by kakebrown

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:13pm
post #151 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Don't forget to look for Pastry Pride or Frostin Pride - they are basicallly the same thing as Bettercreme. Frostin Pride is vanilla flavored and a bit more dense (it's my preference).

Is either of those availiable in ontario canada...do you know?

sweetcravings Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:13pm
post #152 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayShay

sweetcravings, where are you in Ontario?

I live just outside windsor..in tecumseh...and you?

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 7:05pm
post #153 of 1317

I live in a small town close to London (about 35 minutes away). I just thought that if you were close to me I could tell you where I buy mine, but you are about 3 hours away. Both Frostin' Pride and Rich's are available in Ontario. I have used both. When I worked a t ValuMart we used the Rich's so maybe if you have a ValuMart close to you they would order it for you?

sweetcravings Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 7:34pm
post #154 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayShay

I live in a small town close to London (about 35 minutes away). I just thought that if you were close to me I could tell you where I buy mine, but you are about 3 hours away. Both Frostin' Pride and Rich's are available in Ontario. I have used both. When I worked a t ValuMart we used the Rich's so maybe if you have a ValuMart close to you they would order it for you?

Hmmm Valumart..don't recall seeing one around here but i'm gonna check the yellow pages. Thanks for the heads up.
suz

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:33am
post #155 of 1317

Sweet Cravings where are you in ontario? are you anywhere close to buffalo (peace bridge)?

Mel I tried the chocolate malt bettercreme with the darn good chocolate cake and I made them into cupcakes. The cake was good and next time I wont be such a wuss and use large chocolate chips instead of the minis. My husband said they are gooood! I'm selling baked goods at the flea market tomorrow and planned on taking a few cupcakes as samples my husband said I bet not because they will want to buy them and I wont have enough! lol Thanks for the help on how to make these. I did chicken out though and didnt put any filling in the cupcakes. I just topped with the bettercreme. Girl that is dangerous thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:19pm
post #156 of 1317

You didn't fill them?? You big WUS!! It's ok, really. Imagine how baaad they'd have been if you did?? You are right, dangerous is the word!! And I LOVE 'EM!!! The best kind of dangerous in the world.

Bzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bzer Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:13pm
post #157 of 1317

Is is possible to add cream cheese to bettercreme to make a cream cheese frosting...

thanks

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:42pm
post #158 of 1317

I dont know if its the same kind of cream cheese frosting your thinking about But Yes its very good with cream cheese mixed in ! Just fold it in after you whip the bettercream and I also soften and mix the cream cheese before I add it !

Melvira Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:54pm
post #159 of 1317

Yes, follow the "Sinful" description!! It is amazingly good!!

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:00am
post #160 of 1317

Mel...How much Malt do you use in the Strawberry Malt? and where do you use it? In the cupcake or the frosting?

mbpbrighteyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbpbrighteyes Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:11am
post #161 of 1317

Okay- so I'm a newbie and have been very curious about the whole bettercreme "scene"- did some searching here and couldn't find any of the real stuff, so gave the mock recipe a shot and seriously.... SO YUMMY! Did white chocolate cupcakes and filled with raspberry bettercreme and everyone was in love with them- every last one GONE!
Question though... can bettercreme be used under fondant or with fondant accents? Also, anyone know how well/long it holds outside of the fridge? Hard to tell today since here in PA we had tropical storm rain! Thanks everyone for your great ideas!

Melody25 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:43am
post #162 of 1317

From what I understand...It's best to NOT use fondant with the Bettercreme or the Mock Whipped. Also It's shelf stable so you don't have to put it in the fridge.

mbpbrighteyes Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:10am
post #163 of 1317

Thanks... I thought I had read somewhere here on CC that fondant and bettercreme weren't a good mix!

Bzer Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 11:33am
post #164 of 1317

thanks for the cream cheese reply...

Melvira Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:36am
post #165 of 1317

Bettercreme and fondant do not go together unfortunately. But I am SO glad the mock worked out so well for you!! That is awesome! And it can be out of the fridge for days on a cake or cupcake. No worries!

Melvira Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:52am
post #166 of 1317

Melody, I do the strawberry just like the chocolate malt. I kind of go by taste... just add it to the bettercreme. It's awesome in a vanilla cuppy, or strawberry, or chocolate. Man, I am getting so hungry right now!

mbpbrighteyes Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:25am
post #167 of 1317

Thanks Melvira- too bad about the fondant though- would've loved to use it together!! And seriously... shelf stable... does it get any better than that?! icon_biggrin.gif

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:31am
post #168 of 1317

hi! is anyone in my area that knows what the equivalent to bettercreme is?? and where locally I can find it. I am in the odessa/midland area. I went to the Rich's website and the only one closest to me is in southtexas and I am in somewhat northwest tx. a few hours away from the border of new mexico. It sounds so good and I am making some cupcakes for my sisters bday this week and would love to use that. Thanks in advance and everyone have a super sweet Monday!! icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:01pm
post #169 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpbrighteyes

Thanks Melvira- too bad about the fondant though- would've loved to use it together!! And seriously... shelf stable... does it get any better than that?! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm tellin' ya! That's a deal I live with! thumbs_up.gif

angelatx, as far as finding Bettercreme, you should check in places like restaurant supply stores, ask around if you have any cake supply stores around you, otherwise, there is a recipe for 'mock' whipped icing that many people love. Melody has especially been taking that recipe outside the box and making it kick butt!! Consider that if you can't find the 'real thing'. The recipe is available in the recipe file, or we can PM it to you if you let us know!!! thumbs_up.gif

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:16pm
post #170 of 1317

I tried the betterceam filling recipe on the weekend. I used bettercream the recipe with vanilla pudding and milk mixed in and it was delicious!
I used it inside the chocolate WASC recipe and had rave reviews. It all stayed moist for making and decorating on Friday (refridgerated) and served Sunday at dinner time.

Thanks
Nancy

Melody25 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:18pm
post #171 of 1317

I've been working on making the Mock whipped in all the flavors Melvira has made in the Bettercreme. I can't find the Bettercreme in my area, and I have found the Mock Whipped to come as close as possible. It tastes great, it's really creamy, and I have people that hate frosting devour my cuppies with this frosting. Here is the original recipe..

Mock Whipped Cream Frosting

3/4 c. milk
3 tbsp. flour
6 tbsp. butter
6 tbsp. shortening
3/4 c. powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt

Cook milk and flour until thick. Cool. Beat butter, shortening, and sugar for 4 minutes in a bowl. Add flour and milk mixture. Beat 4 minutes. Add vanilla and salt.

And here are my changes to this recipe...

I add in 1/2 of a package of Dream Whip. I add that and the salt and vanilla in with the powdered sugar. And Mix on the highest setting in my KA.

This recipe takes a little bit of muscle because you have to constantly stir the Flour and milk over a medium heat, to prevent a ton of clumps. I let it cool about 20 minutes then pour it into a strainer (one of those fine mesh shifters) and then work it through with a spoon to remove any clumps. Clumps in this frosting completely ruin it.

To get Chocolate Malt....

Measure out 1/2 cup milk and add the Hersheys Chocolate Malt Syrup to the milk to get 3/4 cup, stir it really really well to combine it. Pour it into your pan, add the flour and cook as usual.

To get Peanut Butter...

Do the same with the milk as in the Chocolate Malt, except add the Reese's Peanut Butter Topping (it's in an Orange bottle, i found it at Wal Mart by the Chocolate syrups). Then replace 2 TBS of butter with Peanut Butter. Then make per the directions.

I'm going to be working on different flavors when I get the chance and will post recipes and changes when I get them done. I'll be working on the Strawberry Malt and a Cream Cheese version soon.

Also... I have found that a double batch of this will fill and frost 2 dozen cupcakes.

Melvira Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:25pm
post #172 of 1317

Awesome Melody!! I know your efforts are greatly appreciated!!

hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:52pm
post #173 of 1317

Thanks Melody! I was just getting ready to search for it all over again. You rock!

Melody25 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:16pm
post #174 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallfamily727

Thanks Melody! I was just getting ready to search for it all over again. You rock!

Ah Shucks! LOL Thanks guys. Just doing what I can to help.

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:54pm
post #175 of 1317

Ohhhhhhhhhhh that sounds so yummy Melody. Thanks for all the hard work for us. Have you gained any weight since all this experimenting. icon_lol.gif

angelatx Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:08pm
post #176 of 1317

Thank you all so much, well read everything when i get back, just popped in real quick and am headed out again, but had to get on cc, completely addicted! hope everyone is having a super sweet day!!!

Melody25 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:19pm
post #177 of 1317

Hmmm delicious cupcakes with great frosting...Yeah weight has been gained Im sure. But at least Im a good girl and send 1/2 of them with the DH or my BFF to work.

angelatx Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:18pm
post #178 of 1317

Thank you Melody25 for posting that and Mel! Everyone on here is always sooooo sweet and awesomely helpful! I really do appreciate it!! have a great evening!!! I will be trying that recipe. Thnx again!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Bzer Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:29pm
post #179 of 1317

Thank you Melody25 we all appreciate you...

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:19am
post #180 of 1317

Has anyone tried the Wilton Whipped Icing Mix? From what their website says, it sounds similar to the mock bettercream.

Here is a link:
http://www.wilton.com/idea/Wilton-Whipped-Icing-Mix

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%