Bettercreme Fun!

Baking By Melvira Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 1:47am by kakebrown

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:17pm
post #121 of 1317

Love all of the flavour ideas! I like to mix a small box of jello (any flavour) with one cup of boiling water, let it cool and become slightly thick, and then mix it in with the bettercreme. My most requested is strawberry jello with some of my moms home made strawberry jam all mixed into the bettercreme! yummy! especially with banana cake!

Also, for the peanut/nut allergy, there is no warning on the carton and my son is also peanut/nut allergic and I have used it with no problems.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:39pm
post #122 of 1317

Mmmmm ShayShay that sounds so good!! I have some homemade strawberry jam that I made a bit ago... I might have to try that one!!

Michelle, my favorite cake flavor right now is a toss up between the banana and the coconut. There is something about it. It's just marvelous!!

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:31pm
post #123 of 1317

Hello Ladies,

You are all my favorites to watch and read.

I have a complaint, you guys are making me drool. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

This thread started 8/28/08 and today this is up to 9 pages already. I go away for a weekend and this is where we are at icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif . I have to get a P/T job icon_cry.gifthumbsdown.gificon_cry.gif so I am going to wave my majic wand and freeze the threads and then have them read to me as you type. icon_lol.gificon_cool.gif

I will read all these pages asap because I am still trrying to get thru the cupcake thread. I just love, love, love the sharing and other stuff that goes on in this site. icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

I feel like I know some of you guys personally. I know what your responses will be, but I still can't wait to read them icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif . I hope all is well with everyone's family.

I am in Rockland County, NY and I am doing my best to find Bettercreme.
My DS is sick of hearing tapedshut.gif about Bettercreme except when he thinks about the cakes/cupcakes I could make for him. icon_razz.gif

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif WAAAAA WAAAA I WANT MY BETTERCREME. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Happy typing ladies.

As always Just Lurking Around icon_redface.gif .

Electric Cook

Melvira Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:10pm
post #124 of 1317

ElectricCook, we're glad to see you!! There's not much that is more fun that pulling out a lurker! We just love to have fun here and it's better when more people join in!

And yah, ig hubby wants treats he'd better learn to SHUT UP!! Hahahaha! Seriously though, if you can't find the Bettercreme, everyone says the mock version is really good! Give it a try. I am thinking about making it just so I can tell people with some authority what I think of it!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:12pm
post #125 of 1317

Awesome ! we Pulled another lurker out of the pantry ! icon_lol.gif
Im with ya Mel Everyone talks about how good the mock recipe is ,makes me want to try it.
ElectricCook .. Welcome to our crazy world ! icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:31pm
post #126 of 1317

I'm telling you guys though if you try the mock whipped add 1/2 a pack of Dream Whip to it. Also I'm trying to figure out the best way to add the flavoring. Normally I add whatever flavoring I use to the Milk. But Im wondering if adding the syrup while it whips would be ok or if it would make it runny. I guess theres only one way to find out.

Melvira Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #127 of 1317

That's an interesting question Melody! If you try it, please, please let us know what happens. I know I add my flavoring to the regular Bettercreme while it whips. The first time I did it I thought, "Ok, I'm about to ruin this... here goes everything!" and I was SO relieved that it worked!

That's it... I'm going to make some mock!! I have to. I need to be able to say whether or not it's easy, good, etc!! People ask me that alot and I am embarassed when I say, "Uh... I dunno!" I always say, "Well, a lot of other people SAY it is, so..." icon_redface.gif

Melody25 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 6:13pm
post #128 of 1317

LOL It's easy enough. And pretty quick. The biggest pain about it though it having to constantly stir the flour and milk so it doesn't get clumpy then having to strain it so no clumps get into the frosting. But for not being able to get Bettercreme it works for me. I have several people who don't like frosting that I make this for because they love it. When i made my white Chocolate Macadamia Nut cupcakes I used this recipe and the frosting was the best part. I added the flavoring to the milk.

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 6:45pm
post #129 of 1317

Melody that sounds so good I'm going to have to get on the ball and try the mock bettercream because I can't get it here and Mel won't ship me any. icon_lol.gif

Mel I'm so glad you are going to try it because I was going to do you like you did me and say wuss, scardy cat, chicken. icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Just kidding Mel you know I love ya. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Melody25 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 6:52pm
post #130 of 1317

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... I have to make a trip to Wal Mart later. Im taking my mom to her Dr.'s appt and I know she'll wannt go look to. I think I'll grab the stuff to make those peanut Butter Cupcakes while Im there and see what I can pull off with the Mock. I'll let you know.

Melvira Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:19pm
post #131 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemawfish

Melody that sounds so good I'm going to have to get on the ball and try the mock bettercream because I can't get it here and Mel won't ship me any. icon_lol.gif

Mel I'm so glad you are going to try it because I was going to do you like you did me and say wuss, scardy cat, chicken. icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Just kidding Mel you know I love ya. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Oh snap!! Meemaw has claws! hahahahaha!! I would ship you some... you never asked! icon_biggrin.gif And I'm no chicken when it comes to the kitchen!! Hey, that kinda rhymed. I'm so cool. icon_rolleyes.gif

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:42pm
post #132 of 1317

I spent all morning looking for this product online. The only place I have found it is from sugarcraft. Does anyone else have a suggestion for purchase online?

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:57pm
post #133 of 1317

Hahaha Mel you are way cool as my grands say. icon_lol.gif

sweettoothmom Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:14pm
post #134 of 1317

Is this product good for those of us who are buttercream challenged? icon_redface.gif
I just cant seem to get the buttercream smooth. I need to get sugarshakes videos i suppose. I will wait until she dries out down yonder and then get a video order.

hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:29pm
post #135 of 1317

Mel....let me know if you try the mock and what you think.

Ok, so, I can't find Bettercream OR the other brands here. What the heck?! I mean....nada. So depressing. I'm going to have to buy gallons of it when we go to MN. However, that does bring up a question.

Ok, so if I can find a big ol' bucket of the stuff, how much (cups?) do I use for one batch?

carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:45pm
post #136 of 1317

After reading this thread yesterday, I decided to search for some "bettercream". I found it today. I'm so excited, can't wait to try it. I had to pass on a fantastic bargin too, but I am not a commercial baker, just for the family and friends. I founds it GFS Marketplace (Gordon's Food Service). I wasn't sure where to look in the store, so I asked for assistance, The manager informed me he had one in stock, it was a 15 lb. tub for $39. That was too much money and bettercream for me and my weekly 2 dozen cupcakes, so I had to pass. He then offered me the tub for $23, I'm such a sucker for a sale I offered to take it, I still had shopping to do, so he set it on the side for me. Then I started thinking, what are you going to do with all that bettercream, the "shelf life was "frozen 365 days, refrigerated unopened 90 days, refrigerated opened 30 days"
Then WOWEE,BAM,SHAZAM my eyes fell on the quart size bettercream in the frig section. I immediatly decided not to buy the tub. and bought that instead. So if anyone lives near Villa Park, Illinois. There's a 15lb. tub in that store the manager wants to sell. Carleen

carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:53pm
post #137 of 1317

Melody, look at Gordons home page on the web, they have a store locations link, then a map of the US, click on Il and it list all the stores in Il. Maybe one is near you............Everyone else can look too, to see if they have one in your state. Here is there addy. Good Luck.
www,gfsmarketplace.com

Carleen

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:09am
post #138 of 1317

I have tried the mock whipped cream frosting and was really, really good! Very fluffy and light!

Also, I have a question about bettercream. How long does it last after its been prepared? What is the prepared shelf life at room temperature?
Thanks,
Sharon

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:13am
post #139 of 1317

After reading this thread.. I too went on a search!

And alas I found chocolate bettercreame and vanilla frostin pride at my local smart and final. icon_smile.gif

I can't wait to try it.

But, as for the mock, i made it this weekend.. while delicious I agree that it can get clumpy and needs to be strained.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:44pm
post #140 of 1317

Thats where I buy my bettercreme is at GFS !

sweettoothmom Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:03pm
post #141 of 1317

In reading the MANY MANY posts on this wonder product I came across one or two that mention a chemical or preservative taste in the product when used straight. Can anyone tell me the ingredients list off the back of thier tub of bettercreme? I try to avoid preservatives if I can. I have always used buttercreme because i control what goes into it and Know what butter does to me. It goes straight to my hips icon_evil.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 10:24pm
post #142 of 1317

I just found Rich's coffee cream in the freezer section of the store. Can this be whipped up as well like bettercreme? Just curious.

suz

Melody25 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 10:32pm
post #143 of 1317

Sweetcravings... That's a big Ol NOPE. I tried that as well. cause that's all I could find. It's good for nothing but coffee.

sweetcravings Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:40pm
post #144 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody25

Sweetcravings... That's a big Ol NOPE. I tried that as well. cause that's all I could find. It's good for nothing but coffee.

Awhhhhh, i was praying. Guess my husband will have to use it in his coffee. icon_sad.gif I can't find the bettercreme anywhere around here either.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:46pm
post #145 of 1317

Suz, it looks like there are quite a few Sysco's in Ontario. Check this map out and see if you live close to any of them. You probably have to buy it by the case.
http://www.sysco.com/map/map.asp

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:33am
post #146 of 1317
Quote:

Awhhhhh, i was praying. Guess my husband will have to use it in his coffee. icon_sad.gif I can't find the bettercreme anywhere around here either.

If they have the Rich's at all, I would ask them if they could order the bettercreme, since they have some kind of Rich's supplier. If you have a freezer, maybe you could order a case of the frozen quarts?

sweetcravings Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:06pm
post #147 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzone

Quote:

If they have the Rich's at all, I would ask them if they could order the bettercreme, since they have some kind of Rich's supplier. If you have a freezer, maybe you could order a case of the frozen quarts?

Not a bad idea at all. I may just do that. How long is it good for in the freezer...i don't do a lot of cakes at the moment.?

sweetcravings Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:08pm
post #148 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Suz, it looks like there are quite a few Sysco's in Ontario. Check this map out and see if you live close to any of them. You probably have to buy it by the case.
http://www.sysco.com/map/map.asp

Thanks for the link. I will check it out. I wonder if they will ship it to me directly? If they sell only wholesale?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:41pm
post #149 of 1317

Don't forget to look for Pastry Pride or Frostin Pride - they are basicallly the same thing as Bettercreme. Frostin Pride is vanilla flavored and a bit more dense (it's my preference).

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:54pm
post #150 of 1317

sweetcravings, where are you in Ontario?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%