Bettercreme Fun!

Baking By Melvira Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 1:47am by kakebrown

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 1317

Due to overwhelming interest in the versatility of Bettercreme, (and by popular request!!) I have compiled some instructions for how I use it. All three versions are pretty much interchangeable, use whichever version suits your tastes. The amounts Iâve given will fill and ice approximately 2 dozen cupcakes, give or take. (Depending on how much you like in/on them.) If you cannot get Bettercreme, there are some âmockâ recipes going around that everyone says are awesome, so give those a try!

For a lighter icing or cupcake filling:
Whip 2 cups liquid Bettercreme with a dash of any flavor extract or flavor syrup. Try using different flavors of Torani Syrups, (typically used in coffee shops to make fancy drinks. There are many brands, Torani is just an example!) Hersheyâs syrups, anything liquid that has flavor! (Use as much flavoring to your personal taste. I like a LOT!)

If you want something richer:
Whip 2 cups Bettercreme with 1 small pkg. pudding and 1/2 cup milk. You can also add extract to enhance flavor.

For something completely sinful, and decadently rich:
Whip 8 oz cream cheese until soft, whip in 1 small pkg. pudding and 1/2 cup milk. Set aside. Whip 2 cups Bettercreme to semi-stiff peaks, fold into pudding mixture. You can also add extract to enhance flavor.

Add-ins:
If you want to make a âchunkyâ filling/icing you can stir in just about anything! Crushed cookies of any type, crushed or chopped dried fruit, nuts, candy bars, etc. Go wild and use anything you have on hand!! Mix and match to make it fun! Garnish with candy, sprinkles, cookies, anything that matches the flavor you are making! Be creative!

Here are just a few cupcake flavor suggestions and examples. As I said, you can use any version with any flavor, these are just some that Iâve found to be popular. You can use the same thing as both filling and icing, or you can change it up by using different flavors or textures.

Try These:

Chocolate Malt Cuppy: Devil's Food cupcakes. Lighter version made with Hershey's Chocolate Malted Syrup. Iced with same, or chocolate ganache. Garnish with malted milk ball.

Peanut Butter Bliss: Devil's Food cupcakes. Lighter version made with Reese's peanut butter syrup. Iced with same or chocolate ganache. Garnish with peanut butter cup or peanut butter malted milk ball.

Raspberry: Vanilla cupcake. Lighter version made with Torani (or other brand) raspberry syrup. Iced with same. Garnish with a fresh raspberry.

Mounds Cuppy: Devil's Food cupcakes. Richer or Sinful version made with coconut cream pudding. Iced with chocolate ganache. Garnish with a dollop of filling, or an almond to make "Almond Joy" cuppies.

Butterscotch: Vanilla cupcake. Richer version made with butterscotch pudding. Iced with same. Garnish with sprinkles, etc.

Dulce de Leche: Vanilla or caramel cupcakes. Lighter version made with Hershey's Dulce de Leche syrup. Iced with same. Garnish with Betty Crocker caramel sprinkles.

Amazing coconut: Coconut cupcakes. Any version for the filling made with coconut extract or coconut cream pudding. Iced with same. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.

Banana Flipsy: Banana cupcakes. Lighter version made with banana extract. Iced with same. (This is also fantastic if you torte a cake into four layers and fill with it. It's so light and amazing!!)

Boys in Blue-berry: Blueberry cupcakes. Lighter version made with boysenberry Torani syrup. Iced with same. Garnish with fresh berries.

These are just a few ideas to get you going... there are so many more!

For those who have trouble whipping the Bettercreme, I know your frustration! It seems like itâs just not quite stiff enough, then three seconds later, WHAM⦠itâs overwhipped! Ergh! Well, go ahead and stop whipping when it just doesnât quite seem done⦠not still soupy, but when itâs just a little bit soft. Lift up your mixer and use a clean finger to test it. It may actually be stiff enough even though it looks like it isnât. Now, if you do go just a bit too far, simply put a little splash more Bettercreme liquid in the bowl and stir by hand. This will bring it back to life.

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to add them here! Good luck, and enjoy!

1,316 replies
Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 1317

I wanted to add: For all three versions, you can also use jam or jelly as your flavoring. It doesn't just have to be liquid!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 1317

Thanks for sharing this with us, Mel!!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 1317

Hey Mel Awesome thread ! Yummmy Delicious !

Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 1317

Danke!! thumbs_up.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 1317

Thanks Mel! You are the best! thumbs_up.gif You are the Bettercreme Bomb!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 1317

Thanks so much for sharing. I'll have to try these variations.

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:33pm
post #8 of 1317

What is Bettercreme and where do we get it?

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammynan

ditto that grammy icon_smile.gif and thanks Mel!!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 1317
Quote:

I'm wondering the same thing! I'd love to try some of these if I knew where to find "Buttercreme." Never heard of it.

Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:51pm
post #11 of 1317

Rich's Bettercreme (note the spelling... it makes a big difference in getting the right product!) is a liquid that you can buy that whips similar to heavy whipping cream. But, it is a stable icing used for cakes and cupcakes. In other words, it won't break down like whipping cream does. You can usually find it in cake stores, sometimes in restaurant supply stores, some locations even carry it at Sam's club, but not all locations have it. You can get it in a pre-whipped variety, but it's not as good, although it works if you can't get the liquid. The pre-whipped seems to be easier to get your hands on in some areas.

For more information, go to www.richs.com and find Bettercreme under their products guide!

Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:54pm
post #12 of 1317

Oh, and I want to add, this stuff tastes GREAT if you add flavorings to it. Even plain it's pretty good, but it's better once it's doctored up! It's like the stuff that Sam's club uses on their cakes, but like I said, you can make it taste better!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:55pm
post #13 of 1317

I get it at a GFS=Gordons food service if any one has a store near them.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:55pm
post #14 of 1317
Quote:

Are you just playing with the name because you are making it better or is bettercream not buttercream!?

I have used buttercream and mixed in chocolate pudding and some yummy butterscotch schnapps about 2 TBSP... Oooo Lala! Wowie was it rich and good in the middle of a devils food choc cake!

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:59pm
post #15 of 1317

Thanks for taking the time to do this Mel! Preciate ya! icon_lol.gif

Has anyone ever heard of or used Velvet Top or Velvety Top? I think that's the name of it....Dawn is the manufacturer. Anyway, can't get Bettercreme but I could get this and they said it's the same just different company. I got some to try and was wondering if there are any opinions out there?? icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:00pm
post #16 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Quote:

Are you just playing with the name because you are making it better or is bettercream not buttercream!?

I have used buttercream and mixed in chocolate pudding and some yummy butterscotch schnapps about 2 TBSP... Oooo Lala! Wowie was it rich and good in the middle of a devils food choc cake!

No, it is an actual product, BEttercrEME. It's from Rich's brand. That's funny that you wondered that though! It's something I would do!!!

sadsmile Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:01pm
post #17 of 1317

Thanks Mel! you are so sweet! And faster typing then I am while distracted with kids coming home from school..LOL I am going to have to look for that! There's a kiss blown by the pink pig on a collision coarse with your sweet cheek my dear!

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:01pm
post #18 of 1317

again, thanks, Mel

Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:02pm
post #19 of 1317
Quote:

Thanks Mel! you are so sweet! And faster typing then I am while distracted with kids coming home from school..LOL I am going to have to look for that! There's a kiss blown by the pink pig on a collision coarse with your sweet cheek my dear!

Hehehe piggy smooches!! icon_redface.gif

sadsmile Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:05pm
post #20 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:

Hehehe piggy smooches!! icon_redface.gif

Sugar is too good not to share! MUAH! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:11pm
post #21 of 1317

I buy Bettercreme and Frostin' Pride at Smart&Final. I hear that you can ask the bakery department at Sams Club for it as well.

To add to Mels, I also use flavored coffee creamers. For white chocolate cheesecake, I use 8 oz cream chz blended with 6 oz melted white chocolate, and 2 c Frostin Pride (it's very similar to Bettercreme but I like the flavor better). I do the same for chocolate cheesecake! It's also fabulous if you add seedless raspberry jam for raspberry cheesecake.

Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:17pm
post #22 of 1317

Oh yes, the coffee creamers are AWESOME for flavoring!

I love your cheesecake idea! I might have to try that!! Wonderful!

sadsmile Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:18pm
post #23 of 1317

Gerrrowwwl! GRRR! I just found out it contains milk proteens even though it says Dairy Free... legally they can say that because it's less then 2% just like none dairy coffee cramers and cool whip! Why I will never know.. if it has it then it has it and I don't think I should be called dairy free! So aggrivating!

Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:21pm
post #24 of 1317

Uh-oh... not good. Sorry!! icon_cry.gif

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:22pm
post #25 of 1317

wow mel! Thanks!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:47pm
post #26 of 1317
Quote:

Gerrrowwwl! GRRR! I just found out it contains milk proteens even though it says Dairy Free... legally they can say that because it's less then 2% just like none dairy coffee cramers and cool whip! Why I will never know.. if it has it then it has it and I don't think I should be called dairy free! So aggrivating!

I have serious dairy allergies and that 2% dont affect me. It's been my savior..
Great post Mel.
To add to this
Add some Godiva white chocolate liquor and chunks of white chocolate for a white chocolate filling

For pina Colada strain some pineapple, add some coconut shavings, add some coco lopez.

For cookies and cream..crush some oreos and add as wanted..

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:55pm
post #27 of 1317

Edna, thanks for the insight!! That's good to know!!

And those are some yummy flavor combos too!! Awesome! This stuff is so versatile and fun, not to mention delicious!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 9:06pm
post #28 of 1317

Well I just a add so little you already had it going on girl..lol.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 9:08pm
post #29 of 1317

Thanks Mel. I've been using it since I read in about it in the cupcake thread. Love it and my cash and carry carries the chocolate flavor one also. Delicious!!

Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 9:09pm
post #30 of 1317

Ok, here are some samples so you can see what I like to do.

http://www.sweetcakesonline.net/bettercreme_ideas.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%