"combing" The Side Of A Cake....please Help!

Decorating By lvspaisley Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 3:59pm by lvspaisley

lvspaisley Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 9

I want to "comb" the sides of a round cake I am making for a birthday this weekend. I've never done this before and I am very new to decorating...do I do this BEFORE The chocolate buttercream crusts or AFTER?

Please advise...what's the best way to do this? Anyone have a you tube video showing it?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Wesha Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 9

You would comb the icing before it crusts over on the cake.

Benisha

FromScratch Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 9

Before.. if you wait until after it will chunk off and look awful. icon_smile.gif

michellesArt Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 9

third times a charm-comb the icing right away or it will flake off and look chunky like jeanne said-i just did a cake with combing and it's a great technique for beginners as it hides imperfections and give a nice texture-look icon_smile.gif good luck

michellenj Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 9

It's easy and looks really nice. Don't let it crust, and don't press too hard.

something_sweet Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 9

yes, comb right away, but just a tip - make sure you put your icing on a little thicker than you normally would, some will come off when combing, but this way you can make sure it is even all around. Good luck!

jammjenks Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:20am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetestthing

yes, comb right away, but just a tip - make sure you put your icing on a little thicker than you normally would, some will come off when combing, but this way you can make sure it is even all around. Good luck!

I was going to say this same thing. I put mine on double thick because you'll probably be taking half of it off. Also try to keep your comb against the cake board so that you'll have a minimal seam in the back where the start and end points meet.

woodthi32 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:41am
post #8 of 9

It's easy, and If you screw up, you can do it over and over and over very easily until you love it!
Don't wait for crusting and give yourself a good thick coat to work with....

lvspaisley Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif You guys are A W E S O M E icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%