Question About My Countertops...

Decorating By SweetPea0613 Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 5:14pm by SweetPea0613

SweetPea0613 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 10

We just moved into our new apartment a few months ago and the countertops are painted. so there are chips here and there and anytime i wipe them clean i get some paint on my sponge...

so my question is....Whenever I make another fondant cake, what can i use to cover my counters with so I don't get paint on my fondant. They sell vinyl in the fabric section at walmart...can I roll fondant out on that??? Is it even food safe???

I could use some help and suggestions cuz I plan on using fondant some time next week.

TIA icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
SweetPea0613 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 10

Nobody loves me icon_sad.gif

kimebarnes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 10

my walmart and michaels have a fondant roll out mat. it has the markins for diff size cakes and a grid for cutting . if not maybe a pastry mat from a home goods store. that way you know its food safe

tiggy2 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 10

I use vinyl and it works great. I just smear a little crisco on it and roll away.

jibbies Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 10

I have read on here that people mention rolling their fondant out on vinyl that they purchased from a fabric store/Wal-Mart, so I think it would be fine. I roll mine out on my dining room table.

Jibbies

tracycakes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 10

I use the vinyl from Wal-Mart. it's made for tablecloths so I assume it's food safe. It works wonderfully for me!

SweetPea0613 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 10

Yay!! I AM loved!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Thanks everyone for your responses!! You guys are awesome! thumbs_up.gif

funcakes Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:39am
post #8 of 10

I wonder if your landlord has to replace those countertops. The health dept. here in my neck of the woods would not let any landlord rent an apartment if the countertops were painted and chipping. Have you notified him/her and asked for it to be fixed?

kookyfaery Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:33am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcakes

I wonder if your landlord has to replace those countertops. The health dept. here in my neck of the woods would not let any landlord rent an apartment if the countertops were painted and chipping. Have you notified him/her and asked for it to be fixed?

I agree with the last post. That is obviously not food safe and you shouldn't be cooking on it anyway. I would discuss that with the landlord and see about getting it removed and new counters installed. They can get really nice laminate counters in stock at any Home Depot or Lowes. They're not the crappy Laminate either, they have come a long way in the past few years. It's a Saturday afternoon project. I would be worried about cooking on those counters if the paint is seriously chipping like that.

SweetPea0613 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:14pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookyfaery

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcakes

I agree with the last post. That is obviously not food safe and you shouldn't be cooking on it anyway. I would discuss that with the landlord and see about getting it removed and new counters installed. They can get really nice laminate counters in stock at any Home Depot or Lowes. They're not the crappy Laminate either, they have come a long way in the past few years. It's a Saturday afternoon project. I would be worried about cooking on those counters if the paint is seriously chipping like that.

Hmmm you guys have a point....It's not badly chipped but when I wipe them down some paint does come off...also the counters in the bathroom and even the sinks are painted..lol, weird I know..

I don't want everyone to think I live in wack apartments but I guess that's the only part that's still kinda old school

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%