Cookout Cupcake

Decorating By suz3 Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 6:23am by aztomcat

suz3 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 8

I have been invited to a cookout Sunday. I was asked to bring cupcakes. There will be 9 adults. I don't know these people very well and want to make something that will appeal to everyone but will also have a WOW factor. Ideas? icon_smile.gif

7 replies
nicolescakes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 8

I just made cupcakes for the teachers at school this week - I put ivory icing, swirled it on with tip 1M. Then on top I cut a strawberry in half and put two green grapes with a leaf (got at Walmart in floral dept.) Everyone loved them. Just make sure to wash and cut your strawberries the night before and let sit on a papertowel in the frig overnight. They shouldn't leak that way.

Sweettooth1120 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 8

You could make each little cupcake look like a little round grill. Put a flat piece of black fondant down and pipe grey lines for the grill lines and make little mini hotdogs and burgers cooking on the grill (dont forget cheeseburgers too). If you wanted to get really creative you could use a clay extruder to make the thin lines and paint them with silver luster dust to make them look metal. Just a thought.

fiddlesticks Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 8

If you click my link its all the recipes from the long cuppy thread . There are lots of variety !

chasebrad Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 8

Search for "grill" and you will see a lot of great cakes. I don't know if you are willing to do a cake instead of cupcakes. I know one of the Wilton yearbooks also had a pic of bbq grills that were cupcakes. Not sure what year that was.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=grill&pageID=2

Also maybe search on hamburgers....I recently saw some really cute cupcakes or cookies that were made to look like mini burgers...that would be cute.

Not sure how much time you have to make and decorate, but those are some ideas!

stephaniescakenj Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:27am
post #6 of 8

Make mini hamburgers! I just made them for the first time a few weeks ago and they were so much fun. I have pics posted in my profile. Nex time I will change two things: I will not use a cupcake liner going forward because it made too many ridges and I will let the cupcakes bake a bit more, they were too white, maybe add food coloring to darken them up a bit without burning them. Not sure yet. My vanilla cake is always so light.

Kahuna Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 8

I love the idea of the mini hamburgers, they made them on "Sugar Rush" one time and they were really cute. They also used red velvet one to make little crabs that I've been dying to try. Anyone having a crab boil??

aztomcat Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:23am
post #8 of 8

I did the mini burgers for a 4th of july bbq, but made them from vanilla wafers with a brownie patty in the middle. This little sliders would be great on top of difft. flavors of cupcakes.

Here they are:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1253070

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%