How Do I Make A Rainbow Standing On Cake?

Decorating By vagostino Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 1:37pm by armywifebryan

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 5

Hi! should i cut a base of gumpaste, insert toothpicks and then stick the rainbow stripes on top of that? Anybody has an easier way to do this??

4 replies
DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 5

I'm thinking after you get the stripes all together in an arch, stick toothpicks into the bottoms - I think at least 2 in each side, and then let it all dry. Put them in the cake when they're dry, and then maybe pipe some icing clouds around the bottom of each side.

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 5

What are you making the rainbow itself out of? Seems to me, you could use colored chocolate or RI for the rainbow and just put some lollipop sticks or shortened skewers in before it dries. Then use those to stand it up on the cake. HTH

Teresa

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 5

Well I'm not sure what I'm making the rainbow out off yet. since the cake is all fondant i didn't want to introduce a new medium like chocolate to try to keep it uniform looking so i was thinking fondant or gumpaste?

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 5

I would go gumpate then. It will dry hard and hold it's shape better I think. Could make it a little thicker at the bottom where it would sit on the cake. That way it might hold the skewers or lollipop sticks better for more support.

Teresa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%