Length Of Time Questions...

Business By Rhonda19 Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 4:17pm by mandi1613

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!
I am new to this forum, and have only recently started making cakes for the public...even though I have been making them for family and friends.

My question is, How far in advance do you take a cake order, with fondant decorations? My brother in law wanted me to do a cake with fondant decorations..( Small woman sitting on pier fishing..complete with lake scene) for a retirement party. It would have been a "GREAT " chance for me to show people what I can do.

But, he gave me this order late Sunday Night and wanted the cake Tuesday Morning. So I passed..... My fondant decorations would not have had a chance to dry.

So, how far in advance do you take a cake order??

Thanks for the help!!!
Rhonda

5 replies
bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 6

I don't do cakes "professionally" either, but, do have friends that ask me to make cakes. I REQUIRE 2 weeks in advance or don't even call. That way, IF I do fondant decorations they have time to dry and I can work it into my schedule which is quite busy since I work a "real" job as well!

My advice is to set a time and only make RARE exceptions. People will get used to that and will honor it!

Beth in KY

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 6

I do this part time, actually. I go to school and have another job. I would need two weeks, preferable moreicon_smile.gif, no less...........

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:52pm
post #4 of 6

I like to have at least 2 weeks for a cake though I do take last minute orders if I have the time. One week would be my limit for anything with decos that had to dry.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 6

I usually like to have 2 weeks to fit the order into my schedule, but I can take last minute orders too. Anything that requires advance work though, does not fit into that category of "last minute order" - at least a week. You'll have to train your family, friends and clients to understand that! icon_lol.gif Until they understand, they are considered cake muggles!! LOL! (I still love that one!!) icon_lol.gif

mandi1613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandi1613 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 6

It's so funny that this forum came up today. Just today i decided that i would need at least 2 weeks notice for cakes. I could take a cake with 1 weeks notice but it would have to be a simple sheet cake with no fondant accents. I too work full time and go to school part time and need time to work a cake into my schedule.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%