How Do I Do This Border?

Decorating By tonia3604 Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 12:06am by debster

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:27am
post #1 of 13

Can anyone tell me how to do the red line under the top border of this cake? Sorry if these seem like stupid questions. It seems like it should be simple. Also since I don't have an airbrush any suggestions for around the baselines? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

12 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:47am
post #2 of 13

Opps... The picture didn't attach... Can you try to resend? icon_smile.gif

tonia3604 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 13

Oops...sorry guys...it was kind of late. I still can't get the picture to attach. If anyone wants to take the time to go to www.hometowncelebrations.com, search for MLB cake toppers, scroll down to the Boston Red Socks cake (or any of them, they are all the same) and look at the red stripe under the top border I was refering too I would be greatful! Thanks!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 13

I copied the picture to try to post it for you. I think if I were trying to do that stripe, I'd use a strip of fondant...but someone else may have a better idea.
LL

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 13

I agree with Texas_Rose. It could probably be done with a stripe of BC, but fondant would be a lot easier.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 13

Yep...Fondant will keep a nice straight line. Otherwise, use a 104 and a steady hand... icon_smile.gif

Good luck!
Pat

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:30pm
post #7 of 13

I'm doing a cake with a stripe and I'm using fondant. So far it's been easy.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 13

Fondant is a good idea, or you could use the straight edge of the basket weave tip.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 13

Looks to me like it would have to be one of the XL basketweave tips or a 126-a big rose tip. It looks wider than the normal size 104 or a 47 or 48.

tonia3604 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 13

Thank you Texas Rose! Thanks everyone for the help. Not sure yet which way to go. I am kind of afraid to try it with buttercream and then have a red mess on the cake if its not straight! Maybe I'll try the fondant!

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 9:15pm
post #11 of 13

Other option is to use your gel paste for colouring icing and paint it on with a brush... but fondant is how i would go.. all depends on how confident you are and how much time you have

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 13

If you don't want to use fondant, probably the easiest, you can use the strip of paper method, used to create the look of a box cover on a package cake. Wrap the strip of paper around the cake, the top of paper at the height you want the bottom of your line to be. Apply your red frosting, covering the top part of the paper also. When you take the paper off you will have a straight line all the way around.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:06am
post #13 of 13

I also use the smooth side of a wide basketweave tip when I have to use buttercream, works GREAT!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%