Half And Half Cakes

Decorating By amymc54 Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 5:49pm by ceshell

amymc54 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:21am
post #1 of 13

I am new at cake baking and i want to do a 1/2 sheet cake with half chocolate cake and half white. can anyone tell me how to do this? icon_sad.gif

12 replies
jibbies Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:30am
post #2 of 13

Grease and flour the pan. Make the white cake first, pour it in the pan on one end. Make sure you have the pan propped up on one end with kitchen towels then make your chocolate cake I make it in the same bowl no washing. Take the towels out from under the pan, pour the chocolate in, use a spoon to make sure that the two mixes touch. Bake as usual, and voila, you have a half and half cake. I have one due on Saturday morning. These are very popular espically with childrens parties.

debster Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:33am
post #3 of 13

Make a 9x13 which is a 1/4 sheet chocolate and one vanilla and sit them side by side on a 1/2 sheet board and frost. I do make mine with 2 mixes each you want the cake over half way full for a thick cake. HTH

I've tried what Jibbies does but my chocolate takes longer to cook cause it has more oil so this way works best for me. I say whatever works for you do it.

tlreetz Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:35am
post #4 of 13

I make these all the time in my business. I mix up both batters and pour simultaniously on opposite ends. Works great!!! They do NOT mix and you will have a perfect half and half cake!!

nicksmom Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:46am
post #5 of 13

well I do one of two things.,,,bake one vanilla and one choc then put them side by side by side on the same board and frost together.OR I have used my sheet pans half and half cake by making a divider out of tin foil (kind of like a paper airplane)(fold the foil in half then make two flaps).put the divider in the middle of the pan and pour vanilla in one side and choco in the other side.when it comes out done all you do is pull the foil out. hope i haven't confused you,but it works.good luck.

mgdsue02 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:47am
post #6 of 13

I do the same this that "tlreetz" does...make both batters and pour into the pan at the same time. The batters meet in the middle and don't blend.

SugarFrosted Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:40am
post #7 of 13
Originally Posted by mgdsue02

I do the same this that "tlreetz" does...make both batters and pour into the pan at the same time. The batters meet in the middle and don't blend.

I do the same, with one difference: I swirl the middle where the batters meet so the end result is 1/3 chocolate, 1/3 marble, and 1/3 vanilla. I'd guess that 90% of the half-sheet 12x18 cakes I make are like this. My clients love it!

ceshell Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:57am
post #8 of 13

So, how do you all make sure the recipes are compatible with regard to cooking time?

DesignsByMandie Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:01am
post #9 of 13

I was wondering about this too....I just thought that I would bake one layer of each and then cut them in half and stack one cake on either side and frost together....Does that make sense?? Has anyone tried this?? I do like your idea though SugarFrosted...I love marble cake!! I think I will try that...Thanks!! icon_wink.gif

mommyle Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:24am
post #10 of 13

Well, you take the same white cake recipe and take out some of the flour and sub in cocoa. That way it's the same recipe. Like, if you do the WASC, do one recipe White and another Chocolate. If you do a mayo cake (i LOVE that one!!!) substitute the cocoa for more flour. You get the idea. Good luck!

ritterwoman Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:34am
post #11 of 13

This is what I do and it works for all size pans. First grease and flour your pan. Then take a piece of aluminum foil, and fold it over and over until it is about 1 inch high, and squeeze it till it is flat. Then, I put it in the center of the pan, and bend the ends so it stands up by itself. Then I pour the yellow cake on one side, and the chocolate on the other, and then pull out the piece of foil. Then I just smooth it out with a spatual/knife untill they come together. princess.gifprincess.gif

jibbies Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:01pm
post #12 of 13

I use pillsbury classic white and dark chocolate for my half and half. They bake in the same time, at least for me they do. The chocolate does rise higher but after the cake cools for 15 minutes in the pan, I level it with even with the top of the pan with a long bread knife. Then I turn it out to cool.

ceshell Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:49pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks for the tips on recipes thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%