Help...i'm Almost In Tears ...

Decorating By colabear71 Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 2:45am by colabear71

colabear71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colabear71 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:31am
post #1 of 23

I am somewhat new to cake decorating. I am currently taking the 3rd Wilton course. I have been struggling to make my fondant roses and am almost in tears icon_cry.gif . I have had no problems with any of the other 2 courses, but I'm having lots of problems with fondant.

I made mmf to use for my roses. I used the simple (mm, water, sugar) recipe. I don't know if I put too much sugar or too much grease...but my flowers won't turn out. Every time I go to thin or flair the petal edges with the ball tool, the petals either tear under the ball tool or they pull off of the group of petals. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I would appreciate any words of advice anyone has to offer.

I'm a very visual person and have watched several videos on U tube, and I'm doing what I see, but the petals are still tearing. Or they don't tear, but when I go to move the petals to place on the bud, they fold, stick to themselves or tear.

Also, this evening I tried making Rhonda's fondant recipe and I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I followed the directions to the T...but although I greased my hands and counter...the fondant kept sticking to both. I'm afraid of using too much shortening...but what is too much?

Please....any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kim

22 replies
panipuri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panipuri Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:36am
post #2 of 23

If your fondant is tearing, it may be too dry. try adding a tiny bit of shortening to just a little bit of the fondant - not the whole batch. Also, if it sticks to itself try dusting with a tiny bit of cornstarch. It may be getting the consistency of the fondant right which is your problem. Why dont you jsut buy the readymade wilton to practise the roses with. Even though the taste is atrocious, it might be easier to practise making roses with.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:37am
post #3 of 23

Kim dear, if you are not using gumpaste/sugarpaste you must add Tylose to your fondant or it will not work properly. Fondant on it's own is not good for making flowers of any sort, unless you are making ribbon roses then it is fine.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:38am
post #4 of 23

When you're thinning the petals, if they start to look a bit shiny, dust them with some cornstarch on a pastry brush. Dust your foam pad with it too. The folding, sticking and tearing all mean you need more cornstarch.

If you're using the 5 petal cutter and they're tearing off the middle, then try making your cuts in the middle not as deep.

I always use the simple recipe MMF too and it works well for everything that I've tried. If you get impatient with your roses and want them to dry quicker, you can knead some gum-tex into the MMF. It will make it a little bit stiffer too.

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:22am
post #5 of 23

Try not cutting your slits on each side of the petal so far...maybe that will help with them tearing off...about the fondant...for now since i know you only have a certain amount of time to make all these roses (i took the class too) I would just go out and buy wiltons yucky fondant since you wont be eating the roses anywhere....because its gross tasting but works really well for making their roses! THat is what I used for the class...you can see my final cake in my photos its brown with pink ribbon and light and dark pink roses...if there is anything else you need help with just let me know!

April :0) you can do this! hang in there!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:28am
post #6 of 23

I refuse to do Fondant, I could never get the hang of it.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:32am
post #7 of 23

Hello, have you tried using store-bought fondant. I don't know if it's the humidity here or what, but I've had no success trying to make my own fondant. I get store bought fondant and add some tylose to it and it works GREAT! Don't get discouraged, it just takes some time and practice.

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:32am
post #8 of 23

Colabear...first and foremost, step away from your workspace, take a deep breath and relax. I am a Wilton instructor and I know exactly what you are trying to do. Texas Rose is correct. Dust a bit of powdered sugar on your thin foam, place your cut out piece on your foam and dust fondant with powder sugar. Dip your ball tool in the powder sugar also and try flaring your edges with a gently touch. If that still doesn't work, don't sweat it!! Go back next class, take your MMF and ask your instructor to show you using your fondant and tools. All of us Wilton Instructors are very nice, we don't bite and we are here to help our students in class to learn. Don't sweat it and don't stress out.

Brit-of-Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brit-of-Cake Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:34am
post #9 of 23

Are you using a 50/50 ratio of fondant and gumpaste to do the flowers....I have almost completed the fondant and gumpaste course and all our flowers are 50/50 except carnations whcih are all gumpaste! Hope that helps! Sorry that you are so stressed over it!
Tip: I buy the wilton fondant and flavour it with vanilla which helps with the flavour to!

Brit-of-Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brit-of-Cake Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:36am
post #10 of 23

Are you using a 50/50 ratio of fondant and gumpaste to do the flowers....I have almost completed the fondant and gumpaste course and all our flowers are 50/50 except carnations whcih are all gumpaste! Hope that helps! Sorry that you are so stressed over it!
Tip: I buy the wilton fondant and flavour it with vanilla which helps with the flavour to!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:38am
post #11 of 23

I would definitely buy the Wilton boxed stuff just to practice with...maybe try making your own once you are familiar with making the flowers. I hate Wilton fondant taste but it is very easy to work with, and they have gumpaste too.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:42am
post #12 of 23

Don't make them from MMF, at the very least buy the Wilton gumpaste stuff.

A book that helped me learn roses was Pretty Party Cakes by Peggy Porschen.

Good luck!

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:47am
post #13 of 23

I have to agree that your best bet would be to buy the boxed Wilton stuff to make your class roses. It may not be fit to eat but it's fantastic to work with and it holds its shape well. I made my course 3 roses with it and people were surprised at how thin I was able to make my petals with just fondant. MMF has never worked for me when it comes to flowers or figures or anything else that needs to hold it's shape (it's a personal battle, MMF and I are mortal enemies), but for the sake of your sanity go buy the Wilton stuff while you're learning.

Good luck! I spent over 24hrs on the roses for that cake! I can just feel your frustration. You'll be so proud of yourself when you conquer those roses though! thumbs_up.gif

Anya

colabear71 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:50am
post #14 of 23

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement and all the advice.

tlreetz...I did step away. Took a few hours to relax and once I got some advice..my flowers are doing much better. I'm sure all Wilton instructors are different...mine didn't explain to use powdered sugar or cornstarch when working with fondant. She told us to use shortening...and it seemed like I was using way too much...which I probably was.

I live 45 miles away from the Hobby Lobby where I take my class, which is also the closest place to get Wilton fondant. So..I can't go run get some to finish my flowers...so I am stuck using the mmf.

Thanks again...dusting with powdered sugar/cornstarch really helped. I'm attaching a pic with my flowers (lg, med and rosebud). Please be honest and let me know how they look. I know they're not the best...but I'm happy with them for the most part.

Time to get back in the kitchen to finish some more flowers.

Kim icon_biggrin.gif
LL

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:47am
post #15 of 23

They look great!

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:03am
post #16 of 23

Fondant + Gum-Tex = Gumpaste icon_smile.gif Pick up a can next time you go... I used to measure, and all that... Now, I just sprinkle some in the fondant that I am going to use, and go for it.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif
Pat

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:44am
post #17 of 23

I think they look fantastic! And if you can do that with MMF you can do it with ANYthing! Very impressive, can't wait to see your finished cake!

Anya

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:46am
post #18 of 23

They are BEAUTIFUL!!! You should be very proud of your roses!!!

colabear71 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:58am
post #19 of 23

Ok ladies...the cake is done. I posted it under the first time cakes but haven't had any comments...good or bad. My sister and I are taking the class together and did this cake together. As you can see, my fondant on the top tier was too thin. The cakes are yellow and chocolate with bc filling, covered with fondant and fondant roses.

Thank you again to all of you. You suggestions and ideas really helped. Please be honest and let me know how the cake looks. I'm always looking for feedback...no matter good or bad.

Thanks,
Kim icon_biggrin.gif

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:17am
post #20 of 23

kim, they are beautiful! you should be proud! i'm glad you didn't give up!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:29am
post #21 of 23

If it helps, the fondant roses were the hardest part of the wilton classes for me. I think your roses look great. what color did you use? very pretty shade of blue/purple

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:40am
post #22 of 23

I am a WIlton teacher and I will say to all my students to do them flowers in gumpaste. Gumpaste is so much easier to work with. And less frustrating than fondant.

I have some videos in Youtube. Might help..

If you have any questions, PM me..
Edna

colabear71 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:45am
post #23 of 23

Oops..I forgot to attach the pic here so everyone could see the final cake.

The roses are purple, 2 different shades.

I start my final course this week...the fondant & gumpaste class...I can't wait!!!

Thanks jescapades and nannie. Tonedna..I will keep that in mind.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%