Shipping Cakes Out Of State

Decorating By CCBJ47 Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 4:41pm by loriana

CCBJ47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCBJ47 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:03am
post #1 of 3

i need help. I need to ship a cake to my cousin down in North Carolina. How would i go about doing that. I want the cake to get down there the same way how it looked when it's getting ready to leave the house. And also how would i send down cupcakes without the frosting sticking to the top of the box or the tupperware that i plan to put it in. PLEASE HELP ME! icon_cry.gif

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:16am
post #2 of 3

Welcome to Cake Central. Sorry your first question is one without a great answer.

Unless you travel with them, there is no way to get cupcakes with the icing intact. The only cakes that ship even partly ok, are fondant covered or un-iced.

It is also very expensive.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 3

Here is some response for you:

>I need to ship a cake to my cousin down in North Carolina. How would i go about doing that. I want the cake to get down there the same way how it looked when it's getting ready to leave the house.

-> The only way to ship a cake as JoannB mentioned was carefully wrapping it with plastic wrap, then wrapping in bubble wrap, packing in styrofoam peanuts and even then you need a very sturdy cake and an extra-thick layer of fondant. This is impossible with a buttercream cake. There have been a few threads on this subject and a particularly helpful person once posted pictures of how she packed the cake in the inner box and then packed the outer box. Very very expensive and hard to do unless done right. Just keep that in consideration

>And also how would i send down cupcakes without the frosting sticking to the top of the box or the tupperware that i plan to put it in.

-->You pretty much cannot ship cupcakes. Most cupcake containers as in plastic holders like grocery stores use, all expect the cupcakes to remain bottom side down at all times. As you know, mail is expected to be turned upside down and every which way. There are individual cupcake holders, plastic "bubble" shap holders that keep the cupcake base (the cake part) with a close-around plastic rim . They are meant to be able to pack a cupcake in a child's lunch for instance. Great idea for one cupcake! I have seen them and they work, but I would think this would be impractical for a lot of cupcakes. There are currently no holders on the market I can think of, that hold the cupcake steady, either right-side up/or upside down.

Maybe you can get intouch with a local bakery in your cousin's area and order what you would have loved to ship her. Hope this helps, Lisa (Loriana)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%