Wilton Gumpaste Tool Set

Decorating By majormichel Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 9:10pm by TexasSugar

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 12

Has anyone purchase this tool kit from Wilton? What is your view, do you recommend me purchasing it?

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 12

I did yrs ago. I don't know if it is still the same.
I say if you are just starting out &/or don't know if you will do much gp, go ahead. It's a good way to get started. Later you can add better grade tools if/when you find it's what you want to do.

I know some w/say start w/the best, but I don't completely agree.

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 12

I have this kit and use it all the time and not just for GP. I use it for cookies, cakes etc...

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 12

I bought the new one. I use most of the tools in it. I did replace the quilting tool with one from PME. The Wilton quilter just wouldn't turn for me. I also just bought a metal ball tool to use instead of the plastic ball tool that comes with the kit. I do think, however, that I'll eventually replace most of the tools in there with metal tools. The Wilton ones just seem to stick to my gum paste too much.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 12

I got it so I could leave my PME stuff at home when I travel -- sometimes stuff doesn't always make it home... icon_rolleyes.gif It's easier to replace Wilton than it is PME (and far less $$$ too!) As for quality, nothing compares to PME -- hands down they are the best.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 12

I bought the big one ($20 I think?) with a coupon and have only used it once. I'm new to cakes and haven't had the need to use it that much, but I am interested in making some GP flowers and figure this is a good starting set.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:04pm
post #7 of 12

i recommend that you buy the tool kit... i don,t have the new one.... i have the green ones.... but i also have the pme and all names of tools... 13 years of gathering all this stuff... a little 10x sugar or cornstarch takes away any stickiness.... even the expesive ones can stick to gumpaste or fondant. if you go to any classes that comes to your area or you go out of town to them... then you will see other things you will want to buy also..i have the metal ball tools , etc.... i still can pick up the wilton green ball tool. just depends on what you are doing and what you need for the task.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:33am
post #8 of 12

The new Wilton set is a very good way to go if you are starting out. They really have improved it a lot. I like it. I must say tho' that I am a tool, cutter & anything to do with decorating junkie, I find it hard to resist................sigh..........

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks everyone for your for your help.

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 12

Im new to decorating, and i just bought this lit. I like it alot! I dont know how to use eveything yet. I do think it was a good kit to start out.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:49pm
post #11 of 12

Is a good and inexpensive way to start, then you can change tools as you get better. I do love my metal ball tool.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 9:10pm
post #12 of 12

I have them and have used them, just not for making flowers. HeHe. I like the tool set personally.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%