Flower Help

Decorating By MommaKeri Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 1:06pm by peg818

MommaKeri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaKeri Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 4

I feel so lame.

I can actually make a rose that somewhat looks like a rose (still need to get my buttercream a little thicker, and use a little less pressure so the petals are nice and thin - but otherwise not to bad for a beginner).

but I can't even do drop flowers.

My problem really lies somewhere in my technique with stopping pressure with the bag, and picking up. (same also with making leaves).

I need help! Are there any videos out there that show what the hand is doing? Or anyone willing to post one for me?

I'd greatly appreciate it.

I've spent hours trying again and again. And pretty much with each cake I make I try. I end up with some pretty odd looking ploops of icing.

3 replies
kacurtis403 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kacurtis403 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 4

I have the same problem. icon_cry.gif Can't wait to see the replies.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 4

If you can take the Wilton Courses. The teach you all of this face to face. You get lots of hints and tips as well.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 4

well, if you can't make a drop flower on the cake or on a board (like is taught in the wilton class) Try making them on a flower nail. I find for beginners it is easier to turn the nail and hold the bag steady.

So what you will do is hold the nail in your left hand, hold the bag with the drop flower tip in your right, while squeezing the bag slowly turn the nail about 1/2 turn then stop pressure, then remove the bag. Make sure to lift the bag straight up. If your flower looks to swirly and tight slow the spin of the nail

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%