Size Of Cake Pans

Decorating By Wesha Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 10:41pm by kakeladi

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 2

I have never made a wedding cake as of yet since I am new to cake baking and decorating. What would be the best depth of cake pan to use 2 inch and double the layer or just use a 3 inch size pan? Also, how do you determine serving size of a wedding cake or a party cake? Does it matter if the cake is one or two layer when determing the serving size?

thanks

Benisha

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 2

You'll get both answers on which depth pan to useicon_smile.gif
Personally, I much prefere the 2" and dbl the layers.
As for determining the serving size any cake that is 4" tall is served in a piece 1x2x4. It is also the size used to determine the pricing. Yes, it does make a difference if it is one or two layersicon_smile.gif
Any cake (usually a sheet) that is 2" tall is cut into 2x2x2 pieces.
Use the Wilton chart for determening how many servings from which size cake.....the wedding cake chart is just righticon_smile.gif As for Wilton's 'party cake chart' ..... well they say a party cake is 4" tall but then tell you to figure servings 2x2x2 -- doesn't make senceicon_sad.gif
Many, many time I have made a 10"x2" round cake for a b'day when they want about 12-15 servings. No one ever said they ran out of cake. Yet Wilton says it should be 4" tall which is twice as much cake. You will go broke doing that icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%