Any Advice On Learning The Ropes?

Business By leahhawaii Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 11:33pm by leahhawaii

leahhawaii Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 3

I have been a home baker for years. I recently took a Wilton class and loved it... with the exception that there was absolutely no personal creativity involved. I really want to learn more about cake decorating- especially fondant- I have approached a number of local bakeries in my area (Phoenix East Valley) and have offered to work for free just to gain experience, but so far have had no takers. Any advice or ideas on how to make this happen? I eventually want to turn this hobby into a business, and that is one of the reasons that I want to train in a commercial-style atmosphere. Thank you!

2 replies
kelleym Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 3

Welcome to CakeCentral! This thread may help explain why you haven't had any "takers" on your offer to work for free:

Your best bet would probably be to apply for a position in the bakery, and gain your experience as an employee. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

leahhawaii Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the thread. After reading through, many of the reasons they brought up were very similar to ones I came up with myself... but I decided to face my fears and objections and try it anyways. I appreciate your advice and will keep looking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%