Boutique Bakery- What Do You Think?

Business By Lenette Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 5:19am by chutzpah

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 18

What, in your opinion, makes for a boutique style bakery/bake shop?

I have heard that term used a bit lately and wondered what my fellow CC'ers thought about it.

Since I am contemplating opening a shop I am trying to decide if my business fits into that model or if I want it to.

Appreciate your input here! icon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 18

When I hear the word boutique I think of fancy smancy. You might want to take that into consideration the clientelle you want to reach.

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 18

To me, anything boutique means it's cutsy, original/creative, and pricey.

Depending on your area (and your personality) being a "boutique" could be a good or bad thing.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 18

To me, a boutique cake shop is one that offers high-end custom designs and high quality cakes. As opposed to your run-of-the-mill bakery who offers basic cakes. It will depend on your area what your local market will bear.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 18

I think is a great idea! Don't be afraid that you won't have a massive clientele since your niche would be certain kind of customers. I have a bakery in my town that makes very fancy desserts, croissants, and they have classical music on speakers etc and is always crowded.

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 18

I agree that 'boutique' implies high-end and high quality. You want specialty items that they can't find at wally's. However, I would not say that that equates to 'fussy'. High-end and high quality can be elegant and simple without being fussy or overdone.

I would also say that when considering what your local market will support - don't rule out a specialty shop just because you may be in a small town. I took a chocolate making class last summer at LA Burdicks in Walpole, NH. It is a very small town that even people who live in NH haven't always heard of. But Burdick's has a store and cafe there (along with their production facilities) and they have a top notch place! Very high quality chocolates, pasteries and food. There are also a few other high end stores and restaurants there. So just because it's a small town, doesn't mean it can't support a high-end business.

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephW

So just because it's a small town, doesn't mean it can't support a high-end business.

That is definitely true! Some of the small towns around here are known for their bakeries. People will drive there on the weekends just to visit the bakery. They often place orders for their Christmas parties too!

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 18

I think it's a wicked cool idea!

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 18

I have a boutique and some of my prices are high but I also offer lower price items and I am turning away business my daughter is full time and I have a high school student and we can't keep up. All we do is cakes ,cakes more cakes and decorated cookies. My front room is a show room with wedding display cakes. I am located on a busy street and have people coming in all the time to see what we are all about and end up ordering. This weekend we have 1000 cookies 600 cupcakes 11 weddings 10 occasion cakes if your ready to work everyday go for it. Its now 11 days straight I'll be glad when this week is over by the time its finished it wil be 16 days. Then the next week starts more cakes and another 1000 cookies decorated. HELP!! wedding cakes start at $5.50 per serving I bumped the price up $1.50 just to stop the calls but it didn't work there still booking.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:59pm
post #10 of 18

cakesondemand, that is a very inspiring story! Congrats on your success! A real testament to your hard work!

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:10am
post #11 of 18

Well I figure I better take all the business I can its gonna slow down sometime for a rest I hope. I have only been opened just over a year and its gone crazy I'm testing the market as they say, Gotta do want a gal has to do to make a business work. I'll be taking a rest sometime in Sept and have my daughter taking over of a week or so.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:37am
post #12 of 18

yeah we drove 2 hours to a bakery in California for a famous pie.... it was good but I don't know if it was that good...

boutique bakery sounds awesome though! good luck!

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:55am
post #13 of 18

To me, a boutique is where you find personalized service and one of a kind, unique items. The store itself would not have enormous square footage but would have an intimate atmosphere where, upon walking in, you realize there is something special going on. I think the decor itself should reflect a personal style- be it classic, whimsical, sleek- always having an energy reflective of the owner and the items sold. Have fun!!!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:18am
post #14 of 18

Pugmama said it best... that is my dream right there.. ahhhh someday. icon_wink.gif

Roberta1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roberta1 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:58am
post #15 of 18

Boutique makes me think that the customer is also getting an emotional "experience" along with being treated to fabulous cakes.

The experience is perceived value. I think of Godiva Chocolates and Starbucks. There's an atmosphere and feeling when you step inside either of those stores and that is because the experience was well thought out and extends to everything inside the store.

I think a boutique bakery is a fabulous idea and a way to create a theme and experience for the customer. It sounds awesome.

Someone who does this very well in the cake business is Confetti Cakes.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:53am
post #16 of 18

I, for one, would never classify Starbucks or even Godiva as a boutique!! Good grief, they're chains. Everything is mass-produced. The McDonald's of chocolates, and the K-mart of coffee.

I can get a Starbucks coffee at my local Starbucks, or go across the street to the Starbucks there and buy the exact same thing. That is in no way a boutique...... that's fast food. They've glutted the market. Needless to say, I don't shop at chain stores/restaurants (except for the grocery store and some other stuff). I'd rather go around the corner and get my coffee at that indepently-owned little coffee shop where the owners themselves stand behind the espresso machine and bake the carrot cake (using real butter).

A boutique offers one-of-a-kind items. Stuff you can't anywhere else. Top shelf.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:15am
post #17 of 18

Well, I think of "boutique" as something with a roped-off area and dirty old men, but I just finished watching "Betty Page", so I'm not much help. But yes, personalized, fits in there. Not necessarily where a group of gals would go for a cup of coffee and sit for a while and then take home a couple of cookies for the kids and a sweet for her sweetie, but somewhere that you would order and pick up a specialty cake or treat that you have thought out and planned, not just picked up on a whim. But like I said, I'm probably not much help...

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:19am
post #18 of 18

LOLOL!!! Dirty old men!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%