Buttercream Transfer.... Help Asap

Decorating By lgott87 Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 12:25am by JodieF

lgott87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lgott87 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 5

Two things about doing a buttercream transfer...

1. Where do you get/print backwards pictures?

2. Is the cake supposed to be served while the transfer is still frozen, or is it supposed to thaw out before serving? I'm worried about it melting and bleeding on the cake.

Please respond! I plan on making the cake tomorrow...

Thanks!!

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 5

Many images can be printed on your computer in reverse. You can also trace your image on something sheer and just flip it over.

The transfer will thaw very quickly once you put it on the cake.

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 5

I usually just print out my image, and trace it with a sharpie (fine point) that makes the picture bleed through the paper. I then use the other side of the paper (the side that shows what you traced). It works like a charm because you can only trace the details you want to use, and I like doing it this way because I have a feel for what the picture "feels like" before I actually start the transfer.
The transfer will thaw QUICK, so to serve the cake so the transfer is frozen, the cake would have to be frozen. I've never had a problem with color bleeding as long as you don't mess with the transfer as it thaws . . . learned the hard way icon_redface.gif
Good luck!

lgott87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lgott87 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:08am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for your responses. Although I'm still a little confused. When exactly do I take the transfer out of the freezer and put it on the cake? Right before serving? The cake will be room temp.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:25am
post #5 of 5

No, you freeze the transfer until it's hard, then flip it onto the cake. If you look at the Eagle Scout Cake in my photos, that was a buttercream transfer. Because of the bright colors, I added a thin layer of white buttercream on the back of the transfer after it was frozen then I froze that layer too. The cake was served the next day. No bleeding at all.

HTH

Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%