Hi, New Here & Need To Make A Cake To Feed 40+ People

Decorating By candice128 Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 9:34pm by specialtdesserts

candice128 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 8

: icon_smile.gif My sons 4th birthday is coming up & im making him a transformers cake w/fondant. My question is, i suppose i need at least a 1/2 sheet pan, right? Also how many boxes of cake mix do i need?

Also, I found a recipe on youtube for buttercream frosting, which i have plans on making...I wonder if that recipe will cover a cake this big!?

thanks in advance icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
peg818 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 8

i would do at least a 11x15sheet which you would need 2 boxes of mix. Or you can do the 12x18 that would take 3 mixes. No way to tell if the recipe you have found on line will be enough icing or not. I use about 3 pounds of powdered sugar for a cake that size

Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 8

I would also make an 11x15 slab but I use slightly more than 2 boxes..I fill my pans 2/3 otherwise 2 mixes isn't enough.I guess it depends on the mix..I use Betty Crocker and 2 mixes isn't enough for my 11x15 pan.I would also use a Buttercream icing recipe from here on CC as it will tell you how much to make and what it will cover...I never trust those internet sites.JMO

candice128 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I would also use a Buttercream icing recipe from here on CC as it will tell you how much to make and what it will cover...I never trust those internet sites.JMO

Thanks ladies you helped a TON but i have one question......whats a "cc"??? icon_biggrin.gif

im off to look for this mysterious CC thing & ill be back to check for replies icon_smile.gif

seskenn Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 8

Welcome to the world of Cake Central acronyms! CC = Cake Central!

candice128 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by seskenn

Welcome to the world of Cake Central acronyms! CC = Cake Central!

ahh ic!!

thanks! thumbs_up.gif

marknelliesmum Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 8

Welcome!!!
I agree ditch the random internet sites now you are part of the CC family! Check out the recipe section and recipe forum - if you can't find what you are looking for there then it probably isn't worth baking! Also most of the recipes are rated so you kinda know what you are dealing with. That apart the folks on here have such an amazing knowledge -some like myself are just hobby bakers and some are real pros who do the most amazing work. If you have a question then you are pretty much guaranteed an answer on here.
Good luck with the cake! thumbs_up.gif

specialtdesserts Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 8

Welcome to Cake Central!!

Just thought I'd add that if you are making the 11X15- place a metal flower nail (that's sprayed with Pam) upside down in the batter in the center of the pan before putting it in the oven. Or 2 nails for the 12X18. This will help the center cook evenly with the sides for a large cake. When you turn the cake out onto your tray, remove the flower nail before frosting.

Good luck and have fun!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%