Outdoor Wedding & Protecting Your Fondant Cake.

Decorating By mistybp99 Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 12:07am by becky27

mistybp99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistybp99 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a wedding cake for this weekend. The wedding is outside at a park. We are suppose to have thunderstorms on Saturday. The wedding is at 4 and she wants me there by 3 with the cake. The wedding is about 1hour from my house. I'm planning on assembling the cake at my house and then transporting it there fully assembled. The whole thing will be fondant with gumpaste flowers.
I am so worried about this cake! How would you protect it from the bugs/rain? Since it will be assembled, it will be too big for a cake box but I think I should protect it somehow from the weather elements.
There is no backup ceremony place as everything will take place under pavillions so I guess she thinks rain or shine they still can get married there.

4 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:02am
post #2 of 5

Will the cake be under the pavilion? Have you asked the bride about the table for the cake?

My own wedding cake was fondant and outdoors and unprotected with the exception of being under a roof. It was fine! Bugs may land on it and fly away, but I'm fairly certain everyone has an understanding about that.

Once you leave the premises and are certain the cake was fine when you left, it's no longer your problem. If it begins to rain the caterers will likely bring it somewhere safe - I'm sure somebody there will bring it to their attention if they hadn't thought about themselves.

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 5

I'm with macsmom. The only thing you have to worry about is that the cake makes it to the site and is set up with no problem. If it is raining when you get to the site, have someone hold an umbrella over the cake until you can get it under some form of cover. You can always dry off once you get back home, but just make sure the cake stays as dry as possible. Once you have it set up and signed ofr, it is their problem!! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Teresa

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:00am
post #4 of 5

I did one outdoors last month, 5 tiers in fondant with fondant flowers all over it. Plus a groom's cake, cake sculpture of a dalmatian puppy and choc strawberries. I was so worried about it I actually got sick to my stomach, but it all turned out fine. It was under a tent.

The thing we had a lot of issues with (besides the heat) was the ground underneath the cake tables. We had to prop them up with pieces of wood under the legs so that they were even and wouldn't poke into the ground. Check the tables before you set up the cake, and by all means have someone sign off on the cake before you leave! Photograph it, too.

Deanna

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:07am
post #5 of 5

too much cake is right.....have someone sign off on the cake and take a picture of it!!!!! good luck!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%