Do I Dare Airbrush???

Decorating By sugarbird Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 3:28am by Cakepro

sugarbird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbird Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 5

Hi! I use an airbrush at work (on buttercream or whipped cream only), and have a lovely one at home.. but I am scared to use it on a fondant cake. It is a "boobs/torso" cake and I am afraid if I aibrush to get the flesh color it will be spotty/blotchy.. and sink into all of those annoying little cracks and creases that the fondant will, no doubt, have.
Any suggestions? Should I just bite the bullet and spend loads of time kneading color into the fondant? I also will most likely have to do the airbrushing in a box, or cover my entire kitchen with plastic.. so it seems like a BIG hassle.
thanks!
K

4 replies
sugarbird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbird Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:29am
post #2 of 5

bumpity bump

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:51am
post #3 of 5

when i do a torso i will colour the fondant a light skin tone, then airbrush for the shading. it wont sink into all the cracks, but it will leave a white line so make sure you turn your cake around and spray from the opposite side. I dont worry about over spray around my kitchen as im going to clean and wipe it down anyway afterwards.. you should use it, the AB is great for skin.

hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:01am
post #4 of 5

Not the same thing, I realize, but I used the black Wilton spray color on the top of the fondant cape on my Batman cape. It added richness to the black fondant. Worked great.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:28am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbird

I also will most likely have to do the airbrushing in a box, or cover my entire kitchen with plastic.. so it seems like a BIG hassle.
thanks!
K

Why on earth would you need to go to such measures, especially if you are already skilled with an airbrush?

I airbrush all the time and don't have any problems with huge amounts of overspray or anything like that. Just a simply wipe-down of the table with a wet paper towel gets the little bit of overspray.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%