"no Pastels, And No Roses..."

Decorating By BakeLoveMom Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 12:14pm by lorrieg

BakeLoveMom Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 8

I got an order from a lady at work for her mother-in-laws 94th birthday cake. She doesn't want roses or pastel colors, but still wants an 8" round in white or off white buttercream on the outside and flowers cascading down one side. I have made flowers using buttercream, snow white buttercream and royal icing. I was thinking of putting the round, thin, hazelnut cookies around the sides with a fondant ribbon and bow. Then I thought of having a rounded top covered in the flowers. My problem, is I can't seem to think of flowers or colors to match her requests. Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks so much,

7 replies
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 8

You don't mention what colors but there are many, many b'cream flowers you could use.....flowing down one sideicon_smile.gif
Apple blossoms; dropflowers; pansies; daisy; sunflower; popup flower could be used. For an 8" cake it wouldn't take that many, especially when put on a vine w/leaves. Since we are getting close to autumn you could go w/making those in orange, yellow, purple, and red.

lorrieg Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 8

Can you make morning glories out of icing?? Those would look stunning cascading down the side. They might even look like they are on a trellis with the cookies on the sides. Some greenery and maybe a tiny bumblebee or butterfly.

BakeLoveMom Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 8

I don't really know what colors. I think she meant deep colors, and I was considering some of those, but also doing some white one's maybe. I'm not sure. She just thew me off when she asked for a cascade of flowers, but no roses and no pastels. I have really only done pastel flowers, and most people do want roses, but I understand where she is coming from, she said that she wanted this cake to be different from all her other cakes. So I was just trying to brainstorm.

lorrieg Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 8

You could do medium blue and purple and pink (not light colours) in the morning glories.

And daisies are good too. Mums for fall. But I love those morning glories and they sure look spectacular when they are done.

I have severe trouble with icing roses but the other ones I can do. I just can't get the hang of it. So I would be jumping for joy if I was you. icon_wink.gif

seskenn Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 8

I've done sunflowers cascading down the sides before, with burgandy and orange mums for an autumn look. Daisies are also fun, and you can do those in just about any color.

I love it when someone doesn't want pastels - it lets me really get creative with bolder colors!

BakeLoveMom Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:09pm
post #7 of 8

I have never made moring glories, but I am always up for trying something new. I will have to research to see how they are done. How do you do it??? I have never done a sunflower either. Mostly I have just done the ones from the Wilton I and II courses. Thanks so much for everyones help.

lorrieg Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:14pm
post #8 of 8

Sarah, they are in the Wilton class books. Check 1 and 2 and I think they are in one of them. If not PM me and I'll send you the instructions from the book. I saved mine from my class. I just think it's so pretty and different.

You could do them in gumpaste but since you are so good with buttercream they would be really pretty and totally edible! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%