Icing Question

Decorating By kellertur Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 5:52pm by SweetPea0613

kellertur Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 6

I realize there is an entire thread devoted to Buttercream, but I really dont' have time to search through for this answer.

Would/Could anyone please tell me:

Can you freeze buttercream icing (for future use)? I know you can freeze cakes that are iced, but can you freeze containers of BC for future cakes, and if so, for how long? And what is the best way to preserve the freshness and avoid freezer burn?

Thank you in advance. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
SweetPea0613 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 6

Yes you can!!

My wilton instructor gave us a rule of three.

You can leave it unrefrigerated for 3 days

You can put in in the fridge for 3 weeks

and you can freeze it for up to 3 months...

I used some frozen buttercream that I've had for about a month yesterday and it was still delicious!!

Hope this helps!

kellertur Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 6

WOW, that was fast! (I can feel the whiplash!) icon_smile.gif So Thanks!!!

Sweetpea, how do you store it? Containers? I want to do it correctly.

and thanks again!

SweetPea0613 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 6

LMAO that was funny!

But yeah I just put them in airtight containers and since I'm weird I also wrap them in foil or plastic wrap....don't want freezer burn..lol

kellertur Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 6

I'm also weird... or so I'm told... I not only wrap cakes in plastic wrap (three times), then foil, but also a HUGE freezer bag. ( And I'm constantly spraying down the counters when I make icing... it's almost funny...) icon_redface.gif

But it's all good... you should see me when I've used the oven and am ready for bed... I keep checking, checking, checking.... until I'm sure it's off. icon_smile.gif I have to laugh about it... then I check the faucets, lightswitches, and so on... it's a big routine. icon_rolleyes.gif
But hey, those cakes stay FRESH!!!

thanks again.... hope you didn't mind my rambling. icon_smile.gif

SweetPea0613 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 6

i don't mind at all...sometimes i ramble too..lol icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%