My Black Ri Is Still Crystallizing...

Baking By Tashablueyes Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 11:58am by TracyLH

Tashablueyes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 14

I have tried both Antionias and Simple By Design's RI recipes and I love them both, but with both recipes my black is crystallizing. I wondered if this could be what everyone means when they say even a tiny amount of oil with ruin your RI, but my tools are all immaculate, I don't see how there could be any oil...

13 replies
Honeydukes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 14

I'm not sure what you mean by crystallizing. Can you show us a picture? Or describe it in a little more detail? Is it only the black RI that has this problem?

When it dries is it brittle and/ or powdery? If so, then you're probably over-beating it. If there's any grease, the RI just doesn't "set up." Are any of your bowls or utensils plastic? There could be the tiniest amount of residue -- no matter how clean. I'm just throwing things out to see if anything hits. icon_confused.gif

antonia74 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 14

The only time I get crystallization is when I've used a large amount of Wilton or Cake Craft food colouring and I've thinned it too much with water. I attribute it to "throwing off the icing's ratio", per se. icon_lol.gif

The fact that you are talking about black icing might be a hint in that direction. How much colouring are you adding to get that shade? (For any deep/dark/bright colour, Americolor/Spectruum are much better at achieving those shades IMHO. You can even add your colouring and then leave the bowl of icing overnight to get an even richer/darker colour more easily.)

If you do add too much water to thin out the icing, the crystallization happens very often too. It really shouldn't be much thinner than the consistency of white craft glue typically.

Tashablueyes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:52am
post #4 of 14

Thanks Antonia! I think you hit the nail on the head because: A. I do think I thin my icings a bit much (I'm still trying to figure out the ideal consistency, especially for borders) and B. I only have Wilton's black coloring right now so I had to add TONS!!! I'm guessing if I have to make more black before I can order my Americolor I'll just use the paste and not water down the icing at all.
I appreciate all the help! And thanks honeydukes, that helps because now I know for sure that I'm not having trouble because of grease, my icing always sets up great icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 14

Honeydukes - Thanks for that hint about "brittle and powdery" with overbeating. That would explain when I have had that happen a few times. MUCH appreciated!

Honeydukes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

Honeydukes - Thanks for that hint about "brittle and powdery" with overbeating. That would explain when I have had that happen a few times. MUCH appreciated!

I learned that the hard way. Made umpteen violets for a Wilton class only to get there with a container mostly full of purple dust and tiny yellow dots. The few survivors looked "spongey" or "foamy."

TracyLH Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 14

Oh, bummer! Sorry for the untimely demise of your violets!

Honeydukes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 14

Thank you, I appreciate it. It happened several years ago, but haunts me still. I have to take a moment to prepare myself whenever I make purple RI. icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif And now they're one of my better flowers. icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 14

I seriously need to learn how to pipe flowers... someday! Actually, have you ever seen how to pipe a duck? I have a hard time finding the ducks that I use on my onesie cookies and it would be great to learn how.

Tashablueyes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 14

I'm with Tracy, I still don't really do many piped flowers. Do you prefer to do them in RI? Because I HATE them in buttercream so far.

Honeydukes Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:35am
post #11 of 14

I LOVE doing RI flowers. I do bajillions of them and store them in a container that has little compartments. (I leave them on the wax paper there's less breakage.) They store for a really long time. You can spray them different colors and/or use lustre and disco dusts. Learning to pipe flowers is one of the biggest reasons I'm glad I took the Wilton classes.

I also make leaves (mostly with #349) so that when I pipe "fresh" leaves I can use different colors without having to make too many greens. Does that make sense?

I also make RI moons, bats and cats for Halloween. Our local cake supply sells pre-made RI figures, but they're so expensive. I bought one of each and used them as models for when I made my own. I do this with other holidays, too. In the next coupla weeks I'll be making some. I'll have my neighbor take some pictures so I can post. (I don't take good pictures at all.)

I'm sure there is a picture of HTP a duck in one of my books. I'll look for it

Tashablueyes Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:51am
post #12 of 14

Cool honeydukes! You've inspired me! Can you post pictures?

Honeydukes Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:16am
post #13 of 14

I'll post pictures when I make them. icon_smile.gif

Take a look at these Halloween RI decorations:
http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=21
All Holidays:
http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=341

TracyLH Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:58am
post #14 of 14

Honeydukes, you are too cool! I look forward to seeing your RI figures. I do really need to learn how!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%