Instructions For Gumpaste Hibiscus

Decorating By Daisys_Cakes Updated 29 Jul 2011 , 4:58pm by AmyJones

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 15

Hi!

After receiving multiple requests for instructions on how I made my hibiscus I have decided to do a "how to". This is my first time doing one so bear with me if my instructions are not clear enough!

I started by rolling the fondant thin enough so I could see through it slightly, I then cut out five large circles and placed 4 under a plastic covering so they did not dry out. I took the 5th petal and placed it on the leaf veiner found in the Wilton Gumpaste Flower kit (you can buy it at Michaels for $20.00 it's got lots of great stuff including the cutters and tutorial I used for the orchid in my gallery) and then rolled over it with a small rolling pin once or twice to get the impression (make sure you don't press to hard or it will tear the gumpaste, also if the gumpaste does not hold the impression I found that it is usually because it is too dry or it is too thin). Then I placed the petal on my thin foam and took my ball tool and ruffled the edges. I did the same with the other 4 petals and arranged them in a large muffin tin cup. I used water to glue the petals together making sure they overlapped. To make the pistil I simply rolled a thin piece of gumpaste, placed some yellow stamens in the end and let it dry slightly curved. I then glued it to the center of the flower using water and placed cotton balls around it to hold it in place.

HTH! If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me!

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif
LL

14 replies
Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 15

thank you for sharing that!

I wish I had this when I made my daughter's birthday/luau cake this year (there's a pic in my photos). I imagine my flowers would've been a lot better with this tutorial... guess I'll have to make another one! =D

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 15

very cute and simple...thanks!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 15

Thank you!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 15

Thank you, this is one flower I have not done. P.S. I like your location!
Cathy

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 15

thank you so muhc for this tutorial, I can't wait to try it thumbs_up.gif

Daisys_Cakes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 15

Thank you everyone for you kind comments! Please pm me a picture if you make one!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks for sharing! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:34am
post #9 of 15

Thank you. It's just what I was looking for icon_smile.gif

Daisys_Cakes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAQUEEN

Thank you. It's just what I was looking for icon_smile.gif

That's great! Please let me know how it comes out! thumbs_up.gif

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 7:48pm
post #11 of 15

I must add my name to the long list of Thanks for this. I have been looking for a way of putting this flower together to no avail... I happened to be in Atlanta not long ago and went into Nick Lodge's store, and among other things icon_wink.gif I got a hibiscus cutter, they were out of the veiner but I just did the veining freehand and made beautiful petals that I couldn't put together... Thanks, I will try this.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 12:50pm
post #12 of 15

thanks for sharing!

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:02pm
post #13 of 15

Beautiful flower and clear instructions.

Thanks for sharing.

missmamamoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmamamoon Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 1:58am
post #14 of 15

Just joined Cake Central this very minute so I could tell you how beautiful and realistic your hibiscus is. My dad is Australian, so we grew up with hibiscus flowers in the house. I had been searching for a tutorial and couldn't find anything that really resembled an actual hibiscus. Well done! I shall be using this when I make an anniversary cake for my parents in August. Thank you so much! GORGEOUS!

AmyJones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyJones Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:58pm
post #15 of 15

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%