Advice On Fixing A Leaning Cake On Site??

Business By bekahzzz Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 9:51pm by bekahzzz

bekahzzz Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 7

I recently did my first wedding cake. It was doubly stressful because it was my best friends wedding(groom). Their baker had flaked out recently and they weren't comfortable with her.
Anyway, I got everything set up ok, i saw tons of mistakes but there wasn't much i could do at that point. When I stacked the top layer it was leaning a bit and I couldn't seem to fix it. Has anyone had any issues like this and can give me advice for future deliveries??

6 replies
littlecake Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 7

did you have supports of any kind in the cake?

if you have the proper supports, you shouldn't have any leaning issues.

bekahzzz Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 7

Yes, I had wooden dowels in each tier. I was just wondering if anyone on this forum had any advice for fixing issues on site. I don't have that much experience with stacking cakes and hoped to gain some insight through this board.

dinas27 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 7

I took a look at the picture... really great cake especially for your first try. I am by no means an expert but I have found that once the cake is set up there is really very little to do to fix a slight lean without causing more damage to the cake.

If it was a bad lean you would dissemble the cake and check your supports.

Really the best is to ensure that very step is done right along the way - sometimes easier said than done of course!

Some tips -
1. make sure that your cakes are leveled PERFECTLY (I intend to buy an agbay very soon to combat this issue). From the picture your third tier (second from bottom looks higher on one side)
2. use a minimal amount of filling with a good stiff dam
3. let filling and cakes settle before final icing.
4. use a proper support system! (my wedding cake last weekend will be the last with wooden dowels, I am switching to SPS)
5. be very careful when transporting (i never assemble prior to transport but I have heard that it is ok with SPS)
6. DO EVERYTHING ON A LEVEL SURFACE. This is my downfall right now. thumbsdown.gif I live in a 100 year old building and my kitchen slopes over 2 inches over 13 feet! I try to shim up my kitchen cart to make it level but my last cake I was too tired to do it and the cake suffered. BUY a good 9" level.

HTH and I'm sure others will have some thoughts to add.

shorty56 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 7

i would guess that one or more of your wooden dowels were cut slightly shorter than the rest. It happens! thats why i don't use wooden dowels, they are a pain to cut and a pain to use. so ditch the wooden dowels and start using SPS plastic dowels. I use the 4" ones, and trim all my cakes to exactly 4" tall (using an agbay leveler) that way I know all my tiers are the same height and all my dowels are the same height too. for different sized tiers (sometimes a design requires 5 or 6" tall tiers) i buy the 9" SPS dowels and cut them to height. they have perferated markers making it easy to cut them the correct height.

littlecake Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 7

i make sure my dowels are perfectly cut....even a little off will cause problems.

i looked at your pic too...great cake for the first time around...very pretty.

bekahzzz Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all that great advice....ite could have been the dowels because i did have to cut all of them by hand. What is SPS?

Quote by @%username% on %date%