Need Advice For Chef's Table Event!

Decorating By chrissycorrado Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 4:22am by JoAnnB

chrissycorrado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissycorrado Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 5

I was asked by my local March of Dimes chapter to participate in their annual fundraising event. The event is a chef's table event and silent auction. Well-respected chefs from restaurants in the area will each have a table and hand out samples. I was asked to be the dessert table. Because tickets to the event cost $100 per person, I am a bit nervous and want to make a good impression. This event could do wonders for my business! But I have no idea what I should make! I have to have enough for 500 people! I am a one-girl shop, so that quantity is going to be a bit challenging. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should make a cake or cupcakes? And what flavor do you suggest? I would love to hear general advice about participating in these types of events as well. Thank you in advance!

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 5

I have been to events like this. I prefer the items that look and smell good, rather than anything too fussy.

There a many desserts that are possible, but your business is what should be showcased. It wouldn't make sense to serve something you don't normally have in your store.

a small cupcake (with filling) and a pretty swirl of icing is a good idea. Easy to serve, easy to eat, and some of the prep (bake and fill) can be done ahead. Frozen cupcakes, carefully packaged come out of the freezer like new.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:51am
post #3 of 5

Oh wow!!! What an opportunity!
I would do the bite-sized cupcakes, in a variety of flavors. And some cake-balls. Yumm-O. And perhaps some cookies. You could do cookies pre-packaged (take a look at my web-site for a better idea) with your business card on them, and the name of the event and so forth (that is, if you do cookies).

chrissycorrado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissycorrado Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you very much for your great advice! I do offer cookies, but only the hand decorated kind. So making 500 of those would take me too long! Plus, I do more business with cake, so I agree with JoAnnB that I should offer something that I want to promote. Mini cupcakes are a great idea! I never heard of cake balls. How do you make them?

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:22am
post #5 of 5

Cake Balls or Cake Truffles are scraps of cake mixed with buttercream or various liquids, rolled in a ball. They are often coated in chocolate (time consuming)

there are many threads about cake balls if you search. Some people love them, some hate them.

I would stick to what I know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%