Do I Have Too ?

Decorating By Peeg Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 2:06am by BlakesCakes

Peeg Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:09am
post #1 of 16

Do I need to crumb coat a cake that is baked in a character pan and going to be iced with the star tip? If so, is there a way or method to use, so I can see where the different colors and design starts and stops? I know the cake has indents, but I'm not sure where to begin. I know stupid questions, but I have never done a character cake. Thanks.

15 replies
anitadoskas Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:25am
post #2 of 16

I have never crumb coated a character cake. I have never felt the need and haven't had issues with crumbs getting into the icing.

good luck

jibbies Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:31am
post #3 of 16

Outline the different areas, usually with a tip #3 then go back and fill in each area with the star tip in the color of that area. The best way to make sure you have complete coverage of an area with the star tip is to offset each star, don't line them up like soldiers.
Hope this helps.

SScakes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:39am
post #4 of 16

I have never crumb coated my characters. I outline and use the star tip to fill in. I just make sure the stars touch each other closely so that I do see the cake.

SScakes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:48am
post #5 of 16

I have never crumb coated my characters. I outline and use the star tip to fill in. I just make sure the stars touch each other closely so that I do see the cake.

mallorymaid Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:59am
post #6 of 16

You don't have to crumb coat just follow what the other posters have said about staggering the stars to cover the cake but if you think that you need to crumb coat then brush the cake with a thin coat of apricot glaze, it takes care of the crumbs and allows you to see the shape and design of the cake.

Peeg Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks so much! I'm glad I don't have to crumb coat, it will save time. I can use the apricot glaze, I have it on hand, do I need to reheat it so it is spreadable? I'm doing Wall E for a step granson.Everyones info has helped alot..

mallorymaid Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:19am
post #8 of 16

Yes you need to heat the apricot glaze then you can just brush it on using a pastry brush.

kello Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:41am
post #9 of 16

Do you buy apricot glaze, or can you make it? I haven't seen it in the recipes section.....

jibbies Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:27pm
post #10 of 16

It's purchased apricot jelly, heated in a saucepan.

kello Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:02am
post #11 of 16

If it's just jelly, then why does everyone use Apricot then? Will other jellies work the same way? Also, does the apricot have a noticable taste? Sorry for all the questions, I was just curious as to why apricot?!

SugarFrosted Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:07am
post #12 of 16

No crumb coating for me on any character cake, ever.

I'd guess that apricot jelly is used because it is colorless, and thus will not stain your icing.

jibbies Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:20am
post #13 of 16

I've never used it, don't plan on using it. But since some big cake name said they do it, then it's gospel. I have heard about this all my cake decorating life (27years) I think it's a waste of time energy and money. And like the previous poser said why couldn't you use any jelly you could, apple, orange marmalade, anything that wouldn't stain.

icer101 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:39am
post #14 of 16

you don,t have to use anything.... just outline... and ice with the star tip,etc..... no jellies, no nothing.... wasted time... hth

indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:50am
post #15 of 16
Originally Posted by jibbies

I've never used it, don't plan on using it

Ditto. And like jibbies, I also have 25+ years under my belt.

BlakesCakes Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:06am
post #16 of 16

Well, here's my epistle:

I do crumb coat my character cakes.

I do it for 3 reasons:
I find that it "exaggerates" the indentations, making outlining easier, especially on chocolate cakes.
It gives me something to "dig" into with a toothpick or other tool, especially for marking finer details.
I think my stars stick better, especially on the sides of the cakes in warmer weather.

I may be wrong, but it works for me.

As for using apricot jam, I don't personally. If I need to moisten a cake, or make the surface sticky, I just make up my own, unflavored simple syrup. I was told that apricot is the choice because it doesn't impart much flavor at all once it's been boiled and strained.

Quote by @%username% on %date%