Perfect Square Edges

Decorating By Iloveweddings Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 6:43am by PinkZiab

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:13am
post #1 of 8

How do you get square edges like in the pic below? Are there any tutorials? Thanks in advance.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1257831

7 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:59am
post #2 of 8

That looks to me like a meringue based buttercream. I use SMBC and work away from each corner on all sides with a bench scraper. Still more of a pain than a round cake, but not too bad.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 8

This should help! It helped me! Good luck!!!

Amy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyKkLwTE9NE&feature=related

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 8

I use a meringue based buttercream, but either way it doesn't matter because I chill my cakes very well so the fat in the icing gets firm, then I square off with a mini offset spatula. Once the icing is firm, you can make corners so sharp you could cut yourself lol

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I use a meringue based buttercream, but either way it doesn't matter because I chill my cakes very well so the fat in the icing gets firm, then I square off with a mini offset spatula. Once the icing is firm, you can make corners so sharp you could cut yourself lol

sorry for interupting but when you have your icing firm, is it hard to move on the cake?? ive been wanting to try this but was afraid i would pull the icing off the cake. can you give me more info on this
Thanks

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:44am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

sorry for interupting but when you have your icing firm, is it hard to move on the cake?? ive been wanting to try this but was afraid i would pull the icing off the cake. can you give me more info on this
Thanks

Yes, please tell cakebaker1957. icon_smile.gif

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:09am
post #7 of 8

i get my edges crisp by using a large putty knife i got from home depot. it worked great for me and i use a standard buttercream recipe.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:43am
post #8 of 8

No it doesn't pull the icing off the cake at all.

Remember this is just for final smoothing and squaring off of your edges, not moving gobs of frosting around. Sometimes it helps to warm the spatula (or a bench scraper) slightly if you need to do heavier smoothing, but otherwise I just use the mini offset to make my edges and touch up any spots that came out less than perfect when I iced it to begin with. No special technique, really.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%