Smbc - Help!!!! I Think It's Flopping!

Decorating By nisha_ru Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 6:05am by FromScratch

nisha_ru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nisha_ru Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:00am
post #1 of 13

My SMBC has been in the mixer on high for 45 minuets. It still looks too soft to use. (it holds it's shape on a spoon for a second and then slides off). I used 1C crisco for 1C of the butter (making a 6qt recipe) - would that cause any problems? Help! I've got 5 batches to make and I really don't want it all to flop!

12 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:55am
post #2 of 13

did the meringue hold soft peaks at least before you added the butter or shortening?

nisha_ru Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:53pm
post #3 of 13

Yes! It was nice and firm. (and delicious I might add!)

nisha_ru Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 13

Bump...
Any suggestions?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 13

Good luck I've never subsitituted crisco for butter in SMBC. Why did you do that? Why didn't you just do a powdered sugar based BC?

Mike

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 13

1 - I would never, ever, make SMBC with crisco.

2 - Even those who make icing with shortening are having problems with new crisco making it too soft

3 - After 45 minutes in the mixer, I am surprised that you don't have sugar soup. All that friction has melted your masterpiece. Try sticking it in the fridge.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 13

Was the meringue warm when you added the butter and crisco? Have you tried letting it sit for a while? Just on the counter.. the movement of the paddle or whisk will create heat and make your SMBC soft. Let it sit for a few hours and try to whip it up again.

I have never used crisco in SMBC.. I know others have used hi ratio shortening, but not crisco. That might be the problem if it won't come together.

But do let it sit for a while and try whipping it up again. You could try popping it in the fridge for 5 minutes and whipping and then another 5 minutes and keep repeating until it comes together.

nisha_ru Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 13

I guess I must have whipped it to death. I made another batch this morning, and only had to whip it for about 8 minuets before I had the perfect SMBC! I thought I had read that you can't whip it too much! I must have read wrong.
I don't have another option for shortening because the Crisco and another off brand is the only kind of shortening that I can find in town. It would take me forever to use a 50 lb container the "good stuff" so I've never ordered one.

(I used some Crisco to help it hold up better - I read that was ok to do).

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 13

Just wanted to say that I put my bowl of stiff meringue in a bowl of ice water before I start adding the butter. I think the Kitchenaide bowl really holds the heat and my SMBC whipped up nicer when I started doing that.

Jodie

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:27pm
post #10 of 13

It is ok to add crisco, just not particularly tasty - especially in a recipe so reliant on the butter flavor. Thats all icon_smile.gif

And I second (or third or whatever) the opinion that you just overmixed and the friction warmed it. Let it cool and you will be fine. Keep going with those batches!

FromScratch Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:50am
post #11 of 13

You didn't throw it out did you?? Because when it cooled off it should have whipped up just fine. I'm sure that your meringue was warm and your butter was really soft and it was warm when you started so by continuing to whip it you just heated it up more. icon_smile.gif

I will hold up fine on its own too. I have never had an issue with it being too soft or not staying on a cake. icon_biggrin.gif

nisha_ru Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:58am
post #12 of 13

I didn't throw it out! I put it in the fridge overnight and pulled it out in the morning. When it came to room temp, I whipped it again. It's still softer than I would like, so I've kept it separate from all the rest, but I think I'm going to mix it in.
I'm going to mix the 4 recipes of SMBC with 2 recipes of Sharon's Buttercream. I love the taste of SMBC but don't feel comfortable enough with it to do the whole wedding in it! It's my sisters wedding and I will be too busy with the fresh wedding flowers (I'm the florist) and pictures (I'm back-up photographer) and flower girls (my DD) all to worry about cake disasters!!!

Thanks everyone for all the help!!!

FromScratch Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:05am
post #13 of 13

It couldn't hurt to mix it in the the rest of them.. I have never mixed SMBC and PS based buttercream.. would defeat the purpose for me. I use SMBC on wedding cakes all the time.. never a problem from the SMBC (crazy ass brides are another story though.. icon_wink.gif ) Good luck!! You have a FULL plate with all of that! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%