My Weirdest Request Ever

Decorating By momtobtb Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 3:24pm by summernoelle

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:18am
post #1 of 11

Wow....this is a little odd.

I just got contacted by a customer who wants a cake for a co-worker who just underwent brain surgery to remove a non-cancerous tumor. So, she wants a 3d brain cake. Cool, I can do that, no problem. Then, she wants something baked inside the cake so they themselves can do an operation on the cake and carve it out!!!!!! WHAT???? She mentioned like one of those victorian charms, or just something out of the ordinary.

Any ideas of what to bake into the cake?

I have a feeling this is going to be one weird cake. icon_lol.gif

10 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:51am
post #2 of 11

That makes me think of the KIng's Cakes at Mardigra with the little babies or cherubs. It needs to be food and temperature safe. Sounds interesting. I would want to play hide the hershey's kiss. But maybe one of those ribbon style charms or something.

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 11

You can put any metal object or anything that doesn't melt, just wrap in tinfoil. We are Greek and we have a special pita we make for Easter and we put money wrapped in tin foil. Whoever finds it has a lucky year. But I must say it does sound a bit odd icon_rolleyes.gif Hopefully she has a good sense of humour icon_biggrin.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 11

When I turned sixteen my grandmother baked a gold ring inside my cake. I was so shocked to find ANYTHING in my piece of cake! It had a small diamond on it and wasn't harmed at all.

It is a funny request though, please be sure to post when finished!

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 11

Sounds fun......the finding something special in teh cake idea that is....not the brain surgery on cake thing. That is just wierd! Good luck!

Teresa

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 11

You could bake it regular and then cut a piece of cake out, stick something in and then put the cake back and ice.

specialtdesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialtdesserts Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 11

I think one of those little guardian angel pins or something along those lines would be nice. I agree you should bake the cake and then cut out a small piece , place the object wrapped in foil, then replace the cake and frost.

I, too, hope she has a sense of humor about it.

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

You could bake it regular and then cut a piece of cake out, stick something in and then put the cake back and ice.

That's a great idea. Although it would still need to be food safe you wouldn't have to worry about damaging the object during the baking process.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 11

sounds like fun icon_smile.gif an odd sort of scavenger hunt icon_smile.gif or rather a better way to say it treasure hunt lol

sounds like a great way for your friend to turn something that had to have been quite scary to a way she can "conquer,battle and over come" in a more tangable way icon_smile.gif gives her a feeling of control over something she most likely felt not in control of

do pardon my bit of over freudianisms this morning.. school just started for my highschoolers yesterday and I'M the one still adjusting lol

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 11

I'm with Julzs. I'd bake the cake then insert the item before icing. I'm not too hot on the idea of baking something non edible in the cake itself. If the cake isn't going to sit a long time after it's iced I'd try not to wrap it in anything unless it was clear/colored plastic wrap or cellophane. I don't think I'd want anything wrapped in aluminum foil inside a cake for any length of time. I think it'd be more fun for the "patient" to be able to tell what it is when they remove it. Sounds like this could be fun, as long as it's not something that looks tumor like.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 11

Haha, people are so odd! Neat ideas, though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%