Business By indydebi Updated 28 Dec 2008 , 12:38am by indydebi

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:24pm
post #31 of 50

I could be dead by then

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:53am
post #32 of 50

I just don't understand the "getting married on a holiday" thing. The point of throwing a wedding is for family and friends to celebrate with you, but yet you get married on a day that takes people away from spending time with their family and makes them change their plans?
My parents have a catering business, and every holiday wedding they have, about 25% of the people who respond don't show up! but hey, if people want to waste their money, that's their business I guess. icon_confused.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:38am
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetestthing

My parents have a catering business, and every holiday wedding they have, about 25% of the people who respond don't show up! but hey, if people want to waste their money, that's their business I guess. icon_confused.gif

I work very hard to be "booked" icon_wink.gif or closed on major holidays because it's MY time with my family. however......

Should I ever get a "no way I can turn that down!" deal come thru for July 4th, or other major holiday, the bride will have to pay a premium because I'll have to pay my staff holiday pay. working a catering is hard enough, but to work that hard AND have to give up their own holiday .... well, they ARE going to be properly compensated for it.

if you choose to have your wedding on a date that's inconvenient to everyone, then you're going to pay for it!

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:42am
post #34 of 50

I am sure that most everything would be more expensive for holiday weddings! That's is smart of you Debi! Everyone needs time off and time with their families. Some people just don't think about that when they make their plans.

kookyfaery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kookyfaery Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:13am
post #35 of 50

Totally off topic, but really not. I have a friend who is getting married next summer, and she was asking which date he would remember, he said he won't forget but he'd rather celebrate their anniversary in the summer than winter.

Some girls try to make it to when they'll remember, guys try to make it when they'll enjoy celebrating it.

I'm just worried about making it on a weekend. Haa haa haa.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:39am
post #36 of 50

We grew up "on the lake". We would pack up the car on Friday after Dad got home and we would drive 2 hours to spend our weekend in God's country (seriously, it really is). So if ANYBODY planned a wedding on a Saturday night from May long through to Canadian Thanksgiving (mid-Oct.), we were sure as heck NOT attending. I actually had to plan my first wedding around these guidelines.

indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:45am
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookyfaery

Totally off topic, but really not. I have a friend who is getting married next summer, and she was asking which date he would remember, he said he won't forget but he'd rather celebrate their anniversary in the summer than winter.

Some girls try to make it to when they'll remember, guys try to make it when they'll enjoy celebrating it.

I'm just worried about making it on a weekend. Haa haa haa.

20 years ago, we had to plan our wedding around Aug 1 because that's when my lease expired. But my son's birthday is Aug 2 and we didn't want to spend our lives deciding between going away for our anniversary or staying home for my son's birthday. So we pushed it out and got married on the 13th. Lo and behold, our youngest decided to be born 2 weeks early and HER birthday is 3 days before our anniversary, on the 10th! Sometimes ya just can't win! dunce.gif

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:25pm
post #38 of 50

I've got a cousin who chose her wedding date to be the same as her future parent-in-law's so that they could all share in the love... icon_confused.gif This is her second marriage, so my first thought was if this one doesn't work out, you're gonna ruin that date for that couple too? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Other brides in our family have chosen their weddings to be on their birthdays...again... icon_confused.gif is this so that hubby can forget two big dates in one day? icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:35pm
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

Other brides in our family have chosen their weddings to be on their birthdays...again... icon_confused.gif is this so that hubby can forget two big dates in one day? icon_lol.gif

But don't they end up in the dilemna of Christmas babies? One gift that covers Christmas and birthday .... one gift that covers birthday and anniversary? icon_confused.gif

And don't assume men are the only ones who forget events. I'm really really bad at remembering stuff like that. It took me 10 years to come up with a system that helped me remember hubby's birthday. It's on Dec 27th..... Christmas is the 25th ..... 2 + 5 = 7, which helps me remember "27". I bought my son a coke bottle (I'm a coke collector) with his year of graduation on it .... except that wasn't the year he graduated!!! It took me 3 or 4 years before I could always know my oldest daughter's BD was 11-5 and not 11-7 .... my sister's son was 11-7 and I was always confused on "is it MY kid or YOUR kid that was born on the 5th?" How did I finally remember? By figuring that she was the oldest, so she was born before the nephew ... and 11-5 is BEFORE 11-7.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:45pm
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

But don't they end up in the dilemna of Christmas babies? One gift that covers Christmas and birthday .... one gift that covers birthday and anniversary? icon_confused.gif And don't assume men are the only ones who forget events.

No, you're right...it's not just the guys!! Although in our family, it is...! icon_lol.gif We also have a Christmas baby (my father-in-law), although we make a very big effort to celebrate his birthday as separately from Christmas as we can.

I have also had to come up with a little trick to remember my in-laws anniversary and my mother-in-law's birthday - they are one day apart, and I always get the two mixed up (which comes first??). My MIL had to become "of age" to get married, so had to wait for her birthday, then get married the next day. This is how I remember that her birthday is first, then their anniversary! I must point out that, my hubby (their own son!) can never remember this!!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:59pm
post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

I made the mistake of getting married on Mother's Day weekend. I thought it was a lovely date - we had floral arrangments sent to the MOB, MOG, both grandmothers, and my bro and SIL who were also celebrating their 4th wedding anniversary a week after our wedding.

Fast forward a few years later, and now I'm shackled with "two gifts as one" potentialicon_rolleyes.gif. I told my dh that that unless it's a huge diamond (or similar huge gift), I expect special treatment for both occasions, even if they're a day apart. One celebrates our marriage, and the other motherhood.

So far he's been very good thumbs_up.gif . We typically go out for dinner/movie for our anniversary, and I get jewelry for Mother's Day.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:52pm
post #42 of 50

For my first wedding anniversary I gave my DH a son. Seriously. I had our son on our first wedding anniversary. So, yes, the anniversary kind of gets lost in the celebration, but I do my best. I make 2 separate cakes, and we have a margarita party for the boy.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:00pm
post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

But don't they end up in the dilemna of Christmas babies? One gift that covers Christmas and birthday .... one gift that covers birthday and anniversary? icon_confused.gif

I have a similar situation: My oldest son was born one day after my DH and I celebrated our "dating" anniversary, My daughter was born on Feb 14, and we got married on my father's birthday. So we really don't give each other gifts, we have to buy for the kids and my father. That doesn't mean we don't "celebrate" icon_wink.gif

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:19pm
post #44 of 50

I did not want to get married on any other holiday/occasion. I wanted the day to be all for us. We got married on 7-7-79. I got my triple sevens for the gambler in me too LOL.

indydebi Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 12:51am
post #45 of 50

another date that might be added to this list: Just got an inquiry for "7-8-09" ... even tho' that's on a Wednesday night! icon_eek.gif

indydebi Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 8:18pm
post #46 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetestthing

There are a few next year that might be more popular than others. Valentine's day for sure, being on a Saturday.
And these are all Saturdays too:
04-04-09
06-06-09
08-08-09
10-10-09
12-12-09

You're right on one date, anyway ...... I'm getting bombarded with 6-6-09 inquiries. I've done 3 samplings for this date and have another one next week ..... plus I"m getting all kinds of inquiries for the date.

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 8:48pm
post #47 of 50

I am a 6/6/09 bride-to-be. Yes, we picked the date as sort of a joke. His birthday is 6/4. Mine is 6/8. I mentioned one day "Wouldn't it be funny if 6/6 was on a Saturday and we could just have one week-long celebration?" Famous last words. The plan is to go on vacation every year to celebrate all three things -- just us!

That's the plan, anyway. icon_smile.gif

Lisa

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:55pm
post #48 of 50

I have a question about the deposit in advance thing.....if they give you $1000 to hold the date, was I understanding that some would not honor that if the bride had changed? (Like if it were 3 yrs in advance and they broke up and then he got together with someone else....weird but who knows.)

Does this mean you guys wouldn't work with them? Just keep the money? And is there any kind of cancellation policy? Like, if they are planning 3 years in advance (CRAZY, btw) and then 1 year before the wedding decide to change to date to a week later, would you accomodate? Providing you weren't booked?

Just curious how flexible people are working that far in advance....

My Bf is planning a 2011 wedding and wants me to make the cake - no problem. However, in the 3 months we have been "talking wedding", she has changed her theme 3 times. After I found sea shell candy molds on clearance and bought them (she was thinking Beach Wedding that day) then the next day she decided on Red & White - I finally told her NO MORE! I would not discuss or seriously plan this puppy until 1 - 1/2 yrs in advance because she would drive me friggin; batty with all her crazy changes! And she has been my best friend for 18 years so of course the cake is my gift......

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 11:08pm
post #49 of 50

Once I have a deposit (which is non-refundable for any reason), then I will work with them for things like changed grooms (that's happened) and changed dates. The only thing I won't change is the delivery area. Once a bride cancelled the wedding, got a new groom, reinstated the contract for a local venue, then changed it to an out of town venue, well outside my delivery area. At that point the game was off for me. And yes, of course I keep the deposit.

indydebi Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 12:38am
post #50 of 50

CakeDiva, here's a thread that discusses deposits ... you might get some ideas from here, too.....

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-612886-3500.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%