Cake Boards For Cakes With Unusual Size

Decorating By 2winboyz Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 11:35pm by jibbies

2winboyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2winboyz Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 4

I tried to search for this topic but nothing came up. I have a request to make a truck cake for a friend and was planning on putting two 12x18 sheet cakes together making it 12x36 and carving it. The size will be quite long and I'm afraid I won't find anything at the cake supply store to fit this cake. What are some things I can use as a cake board?

Thank you!

3 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 4

My local lumberyard will cut 1/2 inch plywood to fit the measurements I need. I got a 20X20 for about $3.00. I'm sure Lowe's or Home Depot would do it too. It is very sturdy so you don't have to worry about cracked icing or anything.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 4

Yes, that's a good idea jammjenks had;.
Would foam core be big enough? I don't remember what size it comes in.
Also you can buy (I think it's called) sheetrock at places like Home Depot....it's a dense foam usually comes in light blue. Cut it to size/shape you want. Its a bit messy - do it outsideicon_smile.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 4

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and ask them to cut the size you need of MDF (medium density fiberboard). Plywood would be too heavy, sheetrock is the stuff you use for walls, it would bend under the weight as would the light blue stuff which is a type of foam insulation. Also foam core doesn't come big enough for this, and if you could find it because of the length it too would bend.
Trust me, MDF is what you need, I do carpentry work with my husband all the time. We just gutted our kitchen and have almost finished remodeling it. (cottage style)

Jibbies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%