Dilemma ~ Can I Make/buy Stargazer Lillies Before Sat.???

Decorating By Swede-cakes Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 10:18pm by wildflower

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 11

Is there a way to make stargazer lillies from anything other than fondant and gumpaste?

I just got an order for a 30 srvg First Birthday Cake for this Sat., and she asked me to put a few lillies on the cake, as it's her daughter's name. When I asked her if she meant Lily of the Valley (which I can do in BC), she said no she likes the pink stargazers.

Today is already Tues evening. How the heck am I going to get lillies for this cake?? I don't think I can order them, as shipping would take too long or be too expensive. There's a place about 40 min. away that I could get to tomorrow I think, but I'm trying to keep that as a last option.

Does anyone know if Lilies can be done somehow in BC?

Thanks for any input!

10 replies
Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 11

HI

NOt sure if this will help or not but, Roland Winbeckler has a book about how to make flowers out of buttercream.

I think that if you make a mound of icing and use a bag with the large leaf tip and color strip the bag, white on both sides and pink in the middle, you should be able to make the stargazer. then take brown icing for the dots , etc. Does this make sense. I am thinking of the tip #114. If you want to make smaller ones use the tip 68 or so.,

HOpe this helps

Good luck

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 11

I'm not sure how to do them in bc. Not even sure how to do them in fondant/gumpaste. A few months ago I had a bridal shower cake that had around 50 roses. I got them done in about 3 days start to finish. Not sure how much more detailed the stargazers are. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck!

Teresa

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 11

If it were me, I would probably call the customer and explain to her that on such short notice you are unable to privide edible lilies and ask her if it would be okay to use silk ones. I haven't used silk flowers on a cake but I'm pretty sure it's okay to. I don't think buttercream stargazer lilies would work very well, but I've never tried them.

Swede-cakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 11

Hmmm...Birdlady, that might be doable. I have some leftover BC from last weekend's cakes. I'm going to sit down tonight and try it. Thank you for the idea!

Oh, armywifebryan, how I WISH this little girl's name were Rose!!! LOL!

Thanks!

wildflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 11

hi there!
i dont know about bc lilies or fondant/gumpaste ones but i do know that i had to make about 100 lilies for a wedding cake recently and i made them using royal icing and finished in a couple hours
then i jus painted the stripes in the color i wanted
if the bc ones work for u than thats great or else try the royal icing ones and let me know if u had any questions if u did want to try the royal icing ones
hth!

Swede-cakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 11

You have a good point, Emilygrace. In looking at my calendar, if I don't master the BC Lily tonight, I won't have more time this week to continue practicing. Silk blooms may be a great alternative. I'll run it by her.

Swede-cakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 11

wildflower, did you pipe the RI into the cup-mold just like BC? How long did they take to dry before you could paint them. As you may be able to tell, I've never had to make these! lol! Do you paint them with color paste thinned with what??

Thank you!!

wildflower Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 11

hiii there skichic68!
yes i piped them using the leaf ip 68 in the cup mold and they dried after a day,i didnt wait for them to dry when i painted
in the instructions we were taught to pipe a tip 14 green star in the middle so instead i did a red one and then used a wet paint brust[not too wet]to drag the red from the centre up the petals
does that make sense?
ooo srry imporant thing here,cut out a foil sqaure and place that in the cup mold and pipe ur lily on that so when u place them to dry they have more stability and retain their shape
if u want more details ill copy the thing from my wilton book and pm u more throughly
hth!

Swede-cakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:46pm
post #10 of 11

Yes, please, wildflower! Could you pm me with what you have? Although I do understand your instructions. Thank you!

wildflower Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:18pm
post #11 of 11

k jus pmd u so let me know if that helped!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%