Help My Wilton Instructor Hates Me Now

Decorating By cupcakers Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 5:49am by cuteums

cupcakers Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 33

O.K I posted not to long ago about wanting to be a Wilton instructor they called me from Wilton and I went to Michaels for a interview then last night I went to my Wilton cake class and my teacher called me aside and proceeded to tell me not to take the job their are not enought students to have two classes and she is the only one to do all demos due to how long she has been there and if I wanted to be a instructor I need to go else where not at this store.So now what do I do????????HELP I thought our classes together could complement each other aren't we to old for this high school foolishness.Please give me your opinion.THANKS I NEED HELP icon_cry.gif

32 replies
peg818 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 33

I wonder if the store has asked for another teacher otherwise they don't usually ask for a backup unless the teacher themselves say they can't handle the store.

cupcakers Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 33

The store manager and Wilton want to add another teacher but they did not tell the instructor there untill they were ready to hire me.

kinicto Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 33

Honey, don't worry about your instructor.

I am an instructor at Hobby Lobby and there is another female instructor and male instructor there also. The female instructor is always trying to get something started. Everyone has learned to ignore her.

Monkess Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:16am
post #5 of 33

This can be uncomfortable for you-but it is NOT your fault. Your instructor is just being very unprofessional...you could speak to the manager if she persists.

lilahcakes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:42am
post #6 of 33

Well, it seems like the store and wilton want another instructor, so if its not you it will be someone else. So I would go ahead and take it.

shadowgypsie Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:57am
post #7 of 33

Just to let you know as Wilton instructors we are not supposed to interfere with the hiring of new Instructors. Your Instructor over stepped her bounds.

If I were you I'd take the job, you may also want to let the store manager know that You were advised not to take the position as a Wilton instructor by your instructor.

lchristi27 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:07am
post #8 of 33

I'm sorry she did this to you, sounds like she is worried about her own job. Keep your chin up and be proud of what you did!

sandykay Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:12am
post #9 of 33

I am a Wilton instructor at a Michaels and found out the back way they wanted another instructor, language reasons, I have to admit "my feelings were a litte hurt" however personally it's only beacuse I was left out of the loop. Also the thought crossed my mind maybe they didn't mention it because they wanted me out. Either way I would have never did what your instructor did, you should go the Wilton supervisor who placed you in that store and let her/him know what happend and let her/him handle it and just try to communicate with the other instructor, let her know your not out for "HER" job.

SugarFrosted Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:14am
post #10 of 33

You never know...is it possible they may want to hire you as a new instructor because they are dissatisfied with HER? If she speaks this way to you, what does she say to other students?

shadowgypsie Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:20pm
post #11 of 33

A lot of the stores especially Michaels would like to have two instructors that way they can up the number of classes the store has.

My Store manager told me he was looking for another instructor and asked if I had any requirements for the new person, I answered yes I'd like her to speak Spanish if possible.

So far none of the interviewed met with his liking.

mcelromi1 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:43pm
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpinupgirl

Well, it seems like the store and wilton want another instructor, so if its not you it will be someone else. So I would go ahead and take it.

Exactly!

If you don't take the job they'll just find someone else.
She may not like it, but that's something she has to deal with.

marknelliesmum Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:47pm
post #13 of 33

How dare she icon_evil.gif I can't believe that...who does she think she is? Even if she is worried about her job or had been kept out of the loop that's just downright nasty and totally uncalled for. If you fancy it you go for it but don't put up with any of her school bully type nonsense.
Good luck!

lane52403 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm
post #14 of 33

At the Michael's I take my clesses at, they have two WIlton instructors. One is able to hold classes during the day, and one in the evening. It works best for me, as my schedule sometimes changes (babysitting options, kids in school, etc) It sounds like your instructor is being a bit selfish, thinking about herself and not the students. I have taken classes from both instructors here and learned different basic things from them both. Although I definitely have my favorite. Take the high road, just ignore her. Then the salt in the wound can be when new students want to have you as their instructor. Her being so nasty to you will come back at her. Just stand back and watch, it's more satisfying that way. icon_evil.gif

jennifer7777 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm
post #15 of 33

I would go ahead and take the job. It sounds like your instructor is being a hater. She probably feels that you are "the competition", and doesn't want that. But it's not her place to say anything. She should be encouraging, maybe even flattered...if she was your instructor, and now you are skilled enough to teach a class, that should say something about her teaching........

Unless...she is like MY Wilton Course 1 teacher who was SO intimidated by me! By the time I took Course 1 I had already taught myself how to do fondant and everything. I only took the class to learn how to do the rose. I showed this woman some of my pics & can I tell you she was so paranoid. But...that's HER issue, not mine. She sucked!!!

I digressed...back on topic...if you want the job, take it! Good luck!

DesignsByMandie Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:12pm
post #16 of 33

I am sorry she treated you like that too! She is probably threatened by your ability to do what she taught you and you are better. I swear....My Grandma is 73 yrs old and still deals with all this kind of drama at her work. You do what you were there to do and you will be wonderful!! I was going to be an instructor her because in the 2 classes I took they went through 3 instructors...We live in a military town and I am not military...But I never did finish all the classes to become an instructor! Do you have to do them all in order to be an instructor??

kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:56pm
post #17 of 33

I see someone already mentioned the possiblilty of doing day classes so you don't step on your instructor's toes.
When I taught at Michael's I had both day & night classes, sometimes every day of the week.
With cooperation from your store mgr and lots of advertising you can pull in students who maybe can't come at the times/days she is teaching.

something_sweet Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:15pm
post #18 of 33

I know the Michaels in my area was looking for another instructor because they wanted to have classes during the day and the current instructor wasn't available. Also, because Michaels isn't really offering other classes anymore, they want to do more cake classes.

I wouldn't worry about the other woman, but I would mention it to Michaels management.

Wesha Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:25pm
post #19 of 33

You should take that position and go in with your chin up high. It soulds like the other instructor is afraid of the competition.

playingwithsugar Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:40pm
post #20 of 33

You have nothing to feel bad about, and you should take the job. The classes always get busier during the fall/winter months, so they need another instructor.

Wilton and Michael's are not going to advertise for an open position unless the position is actually available.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

icer101 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:52pm
post #21 of 33

the teacher that teaches opposite with me, was one of my students... he took all 4 courses with me... he worked really hard to learn and was an humble person... i highly recommended him to my wilton supervisor and my EC. we help each other when one has to be out for any reason..we get along great... there was a student when i first started teaching.. i started off
liking him....but the ec that hired me went to another store... she hired this student after taking course 1... i couldn,t believe it.... i am so glad he wasn,t at my store.... as soon as wilton sent him the teaching videos and course material.... he was a monster student... he interrupted my classes in course 11 and 111. i never told a sole except my husband.. he said i should contact wilton. i felt i did not need to... i knew they would see him for what he was.. he had 2-3 personalities... sure enough ... about 6-8 months down the road.. the EC and wilton supervisor contacted me about him... i felt proud that i didn,t rat him out and let them see him for what he really is. they both mentioned his double personalities... i really think the EC was scared of him... yes, wilton will hire you as soon as you take course 1 and have some pictures to send them... i had been doing cakes 10 years before i ever started teaching.it is none of my business who they hire or how many... i have let them know this... i just do my job and go home. there is enough for everyone.. i do see some students forms where they put down first night... they want to teach..... then they are always late for class... never prepared.... and do the opposite of what you are teaching... can,t figure that one out...

krystyne_wilson Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:55pm
post #22 of 33

I think you should go ahead! Don't let her stand in your way...they want you so give them what they want!

God Bless and Good Luck!

cakesbyshell Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:08am
post #23 of 33

I think you should go for it! I am an instructor at Michaels and I was brought in by the original instructor. She asked for another person to help out. We have a great relationship as she does everything that she wants and I do what she needs me to do. We are a smaller store and we still find plenty of students and class times to keep us both happy. I would definitely let management know about her behavior. She should be proud that one of her students learned enough to feel like sharing the knowledge with others. I'm sorry this has been so rough for you.
Chin up and you'll be great!

playingwithsugar Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:08am
post #24 of 33

Katt Williams says we need haters. People who hate us. Those who are jealous of us.

If you go to YouTube and look up Katt Williams haters you will find his routine on haters. It has foul and politically incorrect language, but if you can get past that, his point is well-said.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

robinscakes Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:45pm
post #25 of 33

Could it be that Michael's is getting ready to fire their instructor and wanted to get a new one first so they wouldn't be minus an instructor? When I got hired at my bakery my boss told me up front that he was getting ready to fire the current cake decorator, but he couldn't be without a decorator. He waited until he found one (me) he liked, and then he hired and fired at the same time.

CelebrationsbyLori Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 5:30pm
post #26 of 33

My Michael's store has had 2 instructors from the beginning and there has been tention to say the least. The other instructor tried to bring on another fill-in person and that caused some problems since she was a regular employee in the store. In a way, it takes the pressure off me to constantly teach every night. I have a store front bakery and teach in the evenings, so it gets a little hectic sometimes. She has certain nights she can teach and I have certain nights I teach and it works out fine. We trade off on the demos because there are Saturdays that I'm booked up at the store with weddings and can't do, so that's a help. Some people just like to stir up trouble and create drama. Just go about your business and there's really no reason that the two of you will even see each other much. I rarely see the other instructor in my store! Basically, like everyone else said, it's the stores decision to hire, not hers, so don't worry about it!
Lori

shell62995 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:12pm
post #27 of 33

to the OP- When will u know if u have the job?

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:17pm
post #28 of 33

I was just going to ask a similar question -

Did you get the job? Are you going to take it?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:51pm
post #29 of 33

That was rude of you instructor. From what I understand Michaels always have more than one instructor, that way they can offer more classes. Usually they dont put the same courses the same month so there is not a fight between teachers.
Is not the instructors decision to hire another teacher, this is a decision of Michaels Store and Wilton. So if they want to hire you is not her who should come and say anything to you.

I dont think is about her being a bad instructor, or competition, is more about getting more students. I dont really agree with this, as I think the classes get smaller with more instructors, but, is none of my business. I teach for the love and passion of cake decorating. Not for the money, it doesnt pay that much to be in so much stress about it.
Edna

sweetcakes Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:02pm
post #30 of 33

Michaels likes to have 2 instructors per store. its not becuase they are firing the current instructor. Im sure she is just concerned about spiltting the students, but infact it will probably attract more since more classes will be able to be offered at various times of the day. I would do my best to become friends and work together, it can only be of a benefit to you both. Complete the courses with this instructor and then see when you can get together to work out a schedule together. once you are ready to start teaching pm me and i will send you an invite to a wmi only message board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%