German Chocolate W/ Fondant??

Decorating By Auryn Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 2:25pm by elainec

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 5

I need to bounce an idea off of you guys.
My boyfriend is finally coming home next week after a year away on deployment. He is finally done and home for good.

I want to celebrate his birthday when he gets home (it was on july 7th, he hasnt had his bday celebrated since he joined the army which was 10 years ago).
He wants German Chocolate cake.
I found a great recipe.

I had the idea of making the cake, covering it with the caramelized coconut/pecan frosting and then covering it in chocolate fondant both for presentation and to keep it moist a little longer, he comes home on tuesday, I was hoping ot make the cake saturday due to time constraints.
I've never made a German Chocolate cake so I'm not familiar w/ the texture of the frosting/filling.

Do you guys think this would work or would it ruin the cake??

4 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 5

I don't think it would work to put fondant over that type of icing. What about using the coconut icing as a filling and use choc or regular bc under the fondant?

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 5

I have done this, however you cannot cover the cake with the german chocolate icing. You have to use it as a filling and then cover with fondant. The icing is too poky and will mess your cake all up. It will look diseased.

Stephanie

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:07am
post #4 of 5

hhmmm
now i have more to think about
thanks for the tips.
maybe I will cover the cake in dark chocolate ganache to keep it moist

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 5

Tell your boyfriend thank you from my family, for keeping us safe and free. I love the idea of a GC cake w/ the yummy filling, choc base and then the chocolate fondant. I think her will be happy and then "full and happy!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%