How To Make Extra Special Buttercream.....

Decorating By mariela_ms Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 12:25am by kakeladi

mariela_ms Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 5

So I tried the Wilton's Extra Special Buttercream recipe and I loved it! I've had a hard time with my family members accepting my regular buttercream because it is a texture too sweet and something we are not used to.

THe Extra Special recipe is soo good! But I thought since it contained whipping cream it would "whip" up at least some bit. My didn't. It was delicious but it didn't whip up. It was a little too runny for me.

Do I have to beat it with the whisk attachment to make it whip?

Please Cake GOds and Goddesses enlighten me!!! icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 5

I always beat my icing w/the whiskicon_smile.gif
How long did you beat it? Maybe you are not giving it enough time.
If you make y our icing batch big enough that it coversw the whisk and let it mix on low for 3-5 minutes it should be light, somewhat fluffy, creamy and sooooooo goodicon_smile.gif

mariela_ms Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 5

I think I am not beating it enough then....But I agree.. It is delicious. I am trying it longer time and with the whisk attachment. Thanks!

BlakesCakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 5

I make this recipe and I love it. I use a KA 600 with the paddle. After it's all together, I usually let it mix on medium for about 5 mins. It comes out fairly "fluffy", but not overly airy.

I also use hi ratio shortening with it (either 1/2 or 3/4ths shortening, depending on the weather/temperature).

I do think that from what others have said, the recipe is a bit "flatter"/greasier/runnier with the 0 trans fat Crisco. Wilton has even updated some of their other recipes because of the change in Crisco.

kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:25am
post #5 of 5

It's funny how we all do things different. If I'm rebeating the b 'cream I will use the paddle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%