? On Carving A Cake With Fruit Filling

Decorating By snowshoe1 Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 3:02pm by snowshoe1

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 3

Help - I want to make a cake for this weekend and a fruit preserve filling would be perfect for the occasion. I'm a cake-carving virgin icon_wink.gif and a little nervous about the filling.

The cake should not be too difficult to carve - its a 8" round (5" high) cake with 6 layers. The shape will be tapered to 6" in the middle and tapering back out to 8" at the bottom.

I usually use a thick dam (aka Sugarshack method) to hold in the filling. When carving a cake do you just make the dam wider so when carving you are always cutting through the dam? Or should I just use a buttercream filling with preserves mixed in to avoid any fruit-oozing mishaps?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

2 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 3

Frankly, the design you are describing i think i would carve the layers first then take apart and put the filling in then. JMO

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

Frankly, the design you are describing i think i would carve the layers first then take apart and put the filling in then. JMO

Now why didn't I think of that! icon_wink.gif I'm so used to stacking layers the same way...

EXCELLENT suggestion - thanks for your input! I'm off to sharpen a carving knife!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%