Veiners -Make All The Difference??

Decorating By Tellis12 Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 12:31pm by Limpy

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 17

I've been wondering if getting a veiner to use with my gp flowers will make a huge difference in how they look. Is it one of those things that after you buy and use it, you say "I should have bought this ages ago!"

16 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 17

Yes for most flowers the vieners make a huge difference especially if you are looking for realism

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 17

Oh yes, like peg818 says, its needed for realism and the amt of time you save is crazy. Some cool ones vein and cut at the same time (has a plunger). Others have such fine detail theres practically no way you could do it by hand (for sanity and time wise). Check out GSA. icon_smile.gif

bitofsnshn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bitofsnshn Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:23am
post #4 of 17

i agreen veiners really add that detail that you just cant get any other way. When looking at veiners though i don't think you need a veiner for every cutter. Some are just the same detail, but a larger size for a particular flower. There is no need to get a veiner for every flower.

BlueDevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueDevil Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:41am
post #5 of 17

If you want flowers that will fool folks into thinking they are real, this is the ONLY way to do it!

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:45am
post #6 of 17

any recommended vieners?

I've seen the kind that you squeeze the gumpaste in between and today I was looking at the veiner on a stick looking thing. It will vein at the same time it frills the edges. I don't remember the name of it. I would like to make a purchase, too, but not sure which way to go....

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:52am
post #7 of 17

OMG...Is like the icing on the cake..huge difference!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 17

I like the silicone veiners, which ones depend on which flower i'm making. I suggest an all purpose double sided leaf veiner for most leaves, i think global sells a nice one by sunflower. Scott Clark Woolley (sp?) sells some very nice one sided veiners that are very reasonably priced. He has nice cutters too.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:36pm
post #9 of 17

I love the effect of veiners! However, I can't afford to invest in a lot of the tools of the trade (although I drool over the Global Sugar Art site) so I make my own leaf and flower veiners from the real thing and silicone. I use one of the "safe" molding kits to mix up a silicone compound, roll it into a ball, flatten it slightly then press the leaf or petal into it and roll it gently with a small rolling pin. It comes out great and I have a botanically correct veiner! I can get the molding kit for 40% off with a HL coupon and it makes vast amounts of small molds. Very economical.

wrightway777 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm
post #10 of 17

Win - whats the name of the kit that you are using? I would love to experiment too.

All - Oh another tip I forgot to mention - I love to look in the stamps section at the leaf designs in craft stores. Using my 40% off coupon sometimes you can come across some unique ones. My favorite is ones that I found last year that Martha Stewart did (leaves). I'm going to get the "birds" thats there now too.

Win Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:09pm
post #11 of 17

I use Amazing Mold Putty... it comes in package with two compounds that you mix. It is food safe. I find it really easy to work with. I get it in the 'Sculpy' Aisle in Hobby Lobby.

wrightway777 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:23pm
post #12 of 17

Win - thanks for the Amazing Mold Putty, I just saw their site online and I'll pick some up this Saturday. How many leaves do you get out of one (part A and B set)?

http://www.amazingmoldputty.com/

Win Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:05pm
post #13 of 17

Oh my goodness... you will get a bunch! My current set of bottles has made, leaves , petals, seashells, jewels --just to name a few items. AND, I still have half a batch in each bottle to go. For things like leaves and petals, just a little goes a loooong way! Have fun!

wrightway777 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:25am
post #14 of 17

I was hoping to pick up some (the Amazing Mold Putty) at Michaels (since I was in that area) today and they dont have this product. Looks like I will have to stick with Hobby Lobby solely.

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 11:34am
post #15 of 17

I find myself using the same three veiners for all flowers. I have a white, flexible rubber oriental lily veiner that I use for 90% of flowers. When you think about it, most popular flowers, not all, can be made without veining (roses, hydrangea, callas, anemone, daisies, sweet pea etc etc.)

IMHO, the best gumpaste work combines flowers with fillers like hypericum berries, mimosa, forget me nots, lilacs, pyrocanthus, jasmine, and liatris. None of these needs veiners. This is what makes gumpaste "read" real, not so much the veining.

Lilies, orchids, lisianthus and poppies all require veining but don't spend money for separate veiners. You can buy fancy veiners for orchids etc, but I use the lily veiner. Same effect, and you can't tell the difference.

I find that leaves need veining more than flowers and need more specific veiners to look proper. Any ivy veiner is invaluable. Rose leaf veiner obviously. And one or another of the generic leaf veiners goes a long way.

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 10:17am
post #16 of 17

Depending on the type of veining you want you can also use a corn husk to vein some flowers as well (very cheap).

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:31pm
post #17 of 17

Well worth the money is the 5 petal blossom veiner that I bought from decorate the cake.com & also the multi flower veiner from Global Sugar Art. I use the 5 petal blossom veiner with a petunia flower cutter & it makes the flowers look so realistic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%