Doctored Cake Mix

Decorating By sugaah Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 6:19pm by Muse

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 8

I need to doctor up a white mix - instead of 1 stick of butter I would prefer oil but how much. It calls for 3 large eggs. Can I add sourcream and if so do I eliminate anything? Can I use water instead of milk? Please advise. Need for Friday!!! Thanks

7 replies
Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 8

When I make a white mix, I use the amounts of oil and water specified on the box. You can add an extra egg or egg white if that's what it calls for. I also throw in some sc. I don't usually measure it but I believe it ends up being between 1/2 and 3/4 of a cup. It turns out great.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 8

Use a "tried and true" recipe found on this site - they are broken out by scratch or mix (use the "stars" to find a good one that you would like to do). Next step (for future reference) would be to research special flavorings and emulsion. Check out Earlenes site for Butavan for instance. Many a post has talked about them here on CC (ex. Wedding Bouquet also known as Creme Bouquet). Let me know if you need to know some sites to buy them.

Tip: Use Canola oil if you arent already. Later you can experiment with other light tasting oils...just fyi.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 8

The *original* WASC cake recipe that I came up with is perfect to your request.
It is posted in the recipe section and in many forum posts. Since I myself have trouble finding it using the search function I'll post it again for you here.

The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi

1 box white cake mix*
1 cup flour
1 cup granulatged sugar
generous dash salt

3 whole eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 cup water*
1 Tablespoon almond extract*

In a bowl, mix together dry ingredients; using a wisk is helpful.
In bowl of KitchenAid mixer, place all 'wet' ingredients. Add about 1/2 the dry mix; stir on #1 for 30 secon ds to moisten; add remaining ingred and again mix on #1 for 30 sec; beat on #4 for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pans and bake as any other cake you make.

*NOTES: Any cake flavor can be used. I prefere Betty Crocker. Match the flav oring to the cake flavor....ie: lemon extract w/lemon cake etc.
A combination of vanilla, butter, and almond extracts is excellent for almost all flavors. Some people do not like almond/are allergic to nuts so they use all vanilla flavoring.
This make an amount of batter = to 1& 1/2 mixes - enough to fill a 9x13; a 12" round; 10" sq; two 8" rounds; and/or other pan sizes/combinations.

wrightway777 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:51am
post #5 of 8

sugaah - you are in luck b/c kakeladi's WASC recipe would have to be one the anchors to this site IMO. icon_smile.gif

Muse Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 8

Wedding Bouquet and Creme Bouquet are actually not the same thing. They are two separate flavorings. Wedding bouquet has a more almond scent while Creme Bouquet smells somewhat citrusy. Opinions are divided on which is better.

wrightway777 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse

Wedding Bouquet and Creme Bouquet are actually not the same thing. They are two separate flavorings. Wedding bouquet has a more almond scent while Creme Bouquet smells somewhat citrusy. Opinions are divided on which is better.

oh my goodness, I bought Wedding Bouquet from Kitchen Kraft and they sent me Creme Bouquet so I assumed it was the same. Ha Ha Ha! I use Butavan for that "almost almondy" flavor. Back to online ordering - thanks for clearing that up - how silly of me....but more experimenting - yeah!! icon_eek.gif

Muse Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 8

I ordered both at the same time and the aroma will almost knock you backward!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%