My First Bonafide Wedding Cake Lead - Omg What Do I Do Now??

Business By missmeg Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 10:52pm by Wesha

missmeg Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 15

Thanks to something I saw here, I checked out weddingwire.com and set myself up a storefront there. I've had it for about 3 weeks now, and received my first lead icon_biggrin.gif !

...so what the heck do I do now???

She is interested in a hex chocolate cake to feed 50. I quoted a 6/9/12 hex to feed 63. The topper is the 6" and I did not include that in the servings, but absolutely in the price. She indicated her budget was $300, and weddingwire requires a low/high price. I estimated between $225 and $325.

She is interested in meeting with me, so I need to send her a reply email suggesting dates and such. Any verbage you can suggest? Should I just send her the link to my website with flavors and such? I don't want to mess this up, so any tips you can suggest would be great.

The wedding is for September 2009.

14 replies
missmeg Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 15

So here's what I ended up sending her:

Congratulations on your engagment, and thank you so much for contacting me through weddingwire.com. I would be glad to meet with you and one person in your party (fiance', maid of honor, mother, or mother-in-law to be) on any the below dates. My tasting fee is $25, which will be deducted from the cost of your booking. Please plan on at least one hour for your consultation. I am available on the following upcoming Saturdays:
September 13
October 4
October 11
October 18
Please view my website at http://www.freewebs.com/sweetcakecreations/ for my FAQ, gallery, and flavor choices. Please chose up to three (3) cake and flavor combinations for tasting during the consultation. Also, if you have some pictures or design ideas for your cake, please bring them with you as well.

Please give me a call at xxx-xxx-xxxx to set up a time and discuss any questions you may have prior to the consultation. Congratulations again Mindy, and I look forward to meeting you!".

Sincerely,

Me

I've had some friends on another website suggest that I allow up to 4 people to come to the tasting, that only allowing the bride +1 is too limiting. Your thoughts?

Auryn Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 15

mind you im not in the cake business
but a cake tasting isnt a free for all to eat free cake.
The bride to be and the groom to be are the ones making the decision
or the bride to be and whoever is paying for the cake if they have a say so.

its not a cake buffet
I think +1 is fine

MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 15

Limiting my a**! The bride and groom or the bride & someone else of her choice is anough people to make a decision IMO! Good for you, and good luck!

confectioneista Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 15

I think you nailed it - sounded very professional.

As for the number of guests for the tasting, stick to what you've said; besides too many people means too many opinions and can make your life very difficult (and the bride's).

Good luck!

RRGibson Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 15

They can bring however many people they want but I'm only making a certain amount. I usually make 3 cupcakes of each flavor. And they're big ones so they can cut them or even take them home if they want.

Lynnzee Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 15

CONGRATS!!!! I think that it sounded great. 2people for a tasting sounds good to me icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

drowsyrn Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 15

I think your email was very good. I would copy and keep it and just change dates, etc. for when you get more leads...which you will. As far as how many people, I would say her and two other people (max) may come. I limit mine to three people. The more people you have means more questions, more conversations they have with eachother during the meeting...on and on!

You did the right thing. You directed her to your website. Now you have her email and she has all your contact information. Now she is a potential customer. Good luck!

FromScratch Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 15

The only thing that is confusing is that you didn't include the 6" in the servings, but you did in the price?? How is that? Unless you aren't charging my the serving?? That's the only way I can see it. I would include it in the servings and let them know that if they want to save the top tier that is 10 less servings they have for their guests.. keeps it simple.

I only allow the bride plus one.. sometimes I will allow one other.. say the mom if she's paying. Too many cooks spoil the pot you know? How are you going to present your tasting cakes? Make sure you don't make them an ass load of cake.. a few cupcakes in each flavor is more than enough. They don't need three 6" cakes.. that's a TON of cake and a cost you don't need.

Congrats on your first wedding inquiry Meg!! icon_biggrin.gif

marknelliesmum Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:08pm
post #10 of 15

Looking at if from a non professional ( i'm a hobby baker) with no real knowledge of tasting sessions etc I think you are spot on. Your email was very professional but in a friendly I'm gonna be nice to work with kinda way. I think 2 tasters is plenty - any more is unnecessary and just complicates things.

Good for you and good luck for your future very successful venture thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

keyshia Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:29pm
post #11 of 15

I too liked your response to her. I'm glad you posed the question because it's been one that i've had as well. icon_smile.gif I also think that one additional person is plenty, and if for some reason they want more than that you can take it on a case by case scenario?

On a funny kind of side note, I was watching the Kimora Lee Simmons show and she went to Sylvia Weinstock for her daughter's cake...well when they went to the cake tasting, I was shocked to see that she had even smaller than a cupcake amount for them to try! I kid you not it didn't look like more than a tablespoon of cake, one of filling and one of icing...of course she gave them several flavors to sample, but I was amazed. And they looked like cake scraps...not even presented in a pretty manner! icon_smile.gif

Good luck and congrats on your first lead!!!

Keyshia

missmeg Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:34pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

The only thing that is confusing is that you didn't include the 6" in the servings, but you did in the price?? How is that? Unless you aren't charging my the serving?? That's the only way I can see it. I would include it in the servings and let them know that if they want to save the top tier that is 10 less servings they have for their guests.. keeps it simple.

I couldn't figure out which way to do it - I just know that every.single.wedding.cake in the Wilton yearbook states that the total # of servings does NOT include the top Anniversary tier. So I added those servings into the price, but not the # of servings for guests. Too confusing?

FromScratch Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:42pm
post #13 of 15

Yes.. they will look at it and scratch their heads. If you are charging them for it.. include it in the servings. Just ask them if they want to serve the top tier or save it for their anniversary and go from there. I offer a free anniversary cake.. a 6" with the same flavors of their top tier that they can order before their 1 year anniversary.. no one wants to eat 1 year old frozen cake. Wilton is great, but they are behind the times in their thoughts sometimes. I am so happy for you!!! icon_smile.gif

Monkess Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:59am
post #14 of 15

Sounds pretty good; I agree witht the one+one-it would be too much to have more than that over. I once had a family of 4 plus their 3 kids walk in- it was a mad hatters tea party...grr..lol

Wesha Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 10:52pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeg

So here's what I ended up sending her:

Congratulations on your engagment, and thank you so much for contacting me through weddingwire.com. I would be glad to meet with you and one person in your party (fiance', maid of honor, mother, or mother-in-law to be) on any the below dates. My tasting fee is $25, which will be deducted from the cost of your booking. Please plan on at least one hour for your consultation. I am available on the following upcoming Saturdays:
September 13
October 4
October 11
October 18
Please view my website at http://www.freewebs.com/sweetcakecreations/ for my FAQ, gallery, and flavor choices. Please chose up to three (3) cake and flavor combinations for tasting during the consultation. Also, if you have some pictures or design ideas for your cake, please bring them with you as well.

Please give me a call at xxx-xxx-xxxx to set up a time and discuss any questions you may have prior to the consultation. Congratulations again Mindy, and I look forward to meeting you!".

Sincerely,

Me

I've had some friends on another website suggest that I allow up to 4 people to come to the tasting, that only allowing the bride +1 is too limiting. Your thoughts?

Very Professionally done. When I had my first consultation (a couple of days ago), I provided 3 samples in the form of mini bundt cakes and I also had them frosted in basic vanilla buttercream. It was a hit and I got the booking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%