Mmf Always Have A "shine"

Decorating By marriedtoagreek74 Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 8:13am by marriedtoagreek74

marriedtoagreek74 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 6

Just wondering about MMF if it always has a shine to it. I made a cake for my daughter using MMF to cover, but made a large bow out of Wilton's because I had it left over from class and noticed a big difference. The Wilton's was much more matt and easier to use, but that taste!!!!

Can I do something about the shine, as I don't think it would be appropriate for all cakes.

5 replies
ceshell Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 6

For what it's worth, my MMF doesn't have a shine to it unless I refrigerate the cake. Even then the moisture has occasionally been known to evaporate and leave a matte cake. If you want to just purchase fondant, buy Satin Ice, as you are correct, Wilton fondant isn't fit for human consumption. icon_wink.gif

millermom Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 6

Mine has never had a shine to it. Are you sure you added enough sugar?

Also, you can dust it with a little powdered sugar to get rid of shine.

EmilyGrace Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 6

My MMF has a shine to it... I think it's just moisture... It usually dries out a bit as it sits out. I would suggest letting it dry a bit after you've covered your cake and then going over it with powdered sugar again.

EmilyGrace Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 6

Also, I tried Satin Ice as I had heard good things about it and it was very easy to work with, my only problem is that it drys harder than MMF and if I get and air bubble under the fondant using Satin Ice it cracks and looks terrible when I try pop it with a pin. MMF stayes softer and more flexible so when I pop an air bubble I can smooth the fondant back down nicely.

marriedtoagreek74 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:13am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone. I tried adding more powdered sugar but it became less stretchy so I was worried about it "breaking" or tearing. I will keep at it. Unfortunately here there are not a lot of choices to buy fondant. I am overseas, so that's why the MMF was such a good choice for many reasons, although it is hard to find marshmallows here that are white only!

Quote by @%username% on %date%