Odd Request-Would This Work??

Decorating By karapags Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 3:37pm by kakeladi

karapags Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 7

One of the moms at my sons preschool want me to make a garden cake for her father-in-law. She said to make the cake and cookies of vegetables and then she wants me to insert the cookies into the the cake. I make the sugar cookies with royal icing. She wants like carrot cookies and have it look like it is growing and them the kids could pull it out. I told her I have never done that and have never seen that. I think the cookies would get soggy and break off into the cake. I told her I could wrap them in saran wrap paper and insert them onto the cake but I still think the moisture will cause a problem.

I think I wlill just make the cookies and give them to her separately.

What do you think??

Thanks

6 replies
JenniferMI Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 7

I would do them separate. You could make carrot tops out of gumpaste and addtach a stick to the back and insert into the cake. That way, the only part that was in the cake would be the stick.

HTH!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Cake_Princess Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by karapags

One of the moms at my sons preschool want me to make a garden cake for her father-in-law. She said to make the cake and cookies of vegetables and then she wants me to insert the cookies into the the cake. I make the sugar cookies with royal icing. She wants like carrot cookies and have it look like it is growing and them the kids could pull it out. I told her I have never done that and have never seen that. I think the cookies would get soggy and break off into the cake. I told her I could wrap them in saran wrap paper and insert them onto the cake but I still think the moisture will cause a problem.

I think I wlill just make the cookies and give them to her separately.

What do you think??

Thanks

Put the cookies on a stick and insert then in the cake. I did this for a sunflower cake I did a few years back.

karapags Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 7

I will ask her if she wants me to do that but she kept telling me she wants the cookie hidden in the cake.

Thanks

Muse Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 7

Maybe if you insert them right before it is to be picked up or delivered it would be ok. Just as long as they don't spend any prolonged amount of time in the cake I think it would be ok. If you go this route, though, be sure and tell her there are time restraints and the cookies need to be pulled out in a timely manner.

sumfun1215 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 7:03am
post #6 of 7

Here's what I would do. Cut out your cookies into the appropriate shape using a sugar cookie recipe that makes a firm, crisp cookie (not a soft sugar cookie). Get some popsicle sticks and place them about 2" up from the bottom of the cookie, leave the stick hanging below the cookie. Take some more cookie dough and mash it over the top of the stick and into/onto the cookie. This will be the back side of the cookie. (You could also use skewers like for shish ka bobs, but I prefer the popsicle sticks because they don't "turn around" inside the cookie, so you get a better attachment to the cookie.) Prior to placing the sticks on the cookie cutouts, you should determine how much stick you need at the bottom of the cookie to stick into the cake and trim off any excess stick. After you bake the cookies, decorate them and keep them separate from the cake.

I would deliver the cookies separate from the cake and then insert them into the cake once the cake is in place and won't be moved again. In order to make the cookie look like it is inside the soil of the garden, you could take some crushed up Oreo cookies and sprinkle around the base of the cookies on sticks. The little mounds would look like a freshly hoed garden row.

Hope this helps!

kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 7

Here is another situation where the customer is trying to tell the decorator how to do their workicon_sad.gif
Some things just are NOT possib le....those cookies are going to soften inside the cake....you are going to have to inform the customer of this and let her know once the cake leaves your hands/shop you are no longer responsible for damage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%