Diabetic Icing / Fondant?

Baking By PatrysV Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 8:27am by PatrysV

PatrysV Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:04am
post #1 of 10

Has anyone have a recipe for icing / fondant which can be eaten by a diabetic????

9 replies
PatrysV Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:41am
post #3 of 10

thumbs_up.gif Thanks a million!!!!! My friend (who is a diabetic) is so-o-o exited as she is CRAVING cake with icing!!!!

kellertur Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:22am
post #4 of 10

thanks, I'll have to check this out- my father-in-law (and Grandfather-in-law) are both diabetic but LOVE sweets. thumbs_up.gif

Petit-four Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 10

I put some icing recipe links for Splenda and WheyLow icings in the last post of this thread:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-600143.html

I found that altering the order of ingredients on one of the CC recipes helped with the clumping problem I encountered...it might have been the brand of pudding mix I used though.

Hope this helps! thumbs_up.gif

lovely Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrysV

thumbs_up.gif Thanks a million!!!!! My friend (who is a diabetic) is so-o-o exited as she is CRAVING cake with icing!!!!

Can empathise. My son loves fresh cream and cake. It's his favourite. He loves normal icing but not as much as cream but will have to try some of the other recipes for him. I'm sure your friend will love whatever you make.

Cheers
Leigh

kellertur Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:34am
post #7 of 10

Can anyone tell me if this looks like regualr icing when finished? I see that it can be piped... just wondering how fancy you can get with this stuff. (Although I think My dad-in-law will be elated just not to have to scrape off the icing)

And what do you mean by fresh cream and cake? I've never heard of this...

thanks

lovely Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:48am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Can anyone tell me if this looks like regualr icing when finished? I see that it can be piped... just wondering how fancy you can get with this stuff. (Although I think My dad-in-law will be elated just not to have to scrape off the icing)

thanks

I think I just mean cream. We can get cream as a uht (shelf stable but can be whipped if put in the fridge) or fresh cream or as a whipped cream in a tin. The stuff that used to settle ontop of milk if you left it too long mmmm but now they take all the cream and fat out of milks.
http://www.dairyfarmers.com.au/df/ourproductsandrecipes/inthekitchen/dairyfarmersthickenedcream
I love it because it is low carbs (but high fat hehe), great on pancakes, sponge cakes

GenGen Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:01am
post #9 of 10

thanks!! i have neighbors i make cakes for often who are recent diabetics; my mom's a recent diagnosed diabetic too and i know others who have wanted my cakes but i never knew how to make them that way.. now i just need to master a Cake part thats diabetic and i'm set icon_biggrin.gif

PatrysV Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:27am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

thanks

I was thinking - if this powdered sugar replacement, looks and works like normal powdered sugar...won't I be able to use is to make RI and then add Tylose to make sugarfree figures??! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%